“Very Nice Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
West Pittston, Pennsylvania
“Very Nice Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

This hotel was everything you would expect from a Double Tree hotel. I stayed there for one night with my family. The suite was large, clean and comfortable. Nice view of the water. The restaurant was nice, enjoyed a buffet breakfast. That was a little on the high side as far as price went but not outside of what you would typically find. Overall, this was a very good hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that we met your expectations. I apologize for price of the breakfast buffet but we are competitively priced. I hope next time you are in Tampa, you will give us another opportunity.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jacksonville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

The staff at this hotel needs to go through a customer service course. It is pitiful! The first room had bed bugs & my daughter-in-law got a bite on her, the hotel acted as if it was no big deal! The prices at the hotel are ridiculously high! A bowl of cereal was $7.00. I think with the cost of the hotel they could offer a breakfast. I was here for a week, checked out a day early because I was just fed up with the hotel! This hotel seriously needs an update! Poor beds!
The location was perfect but I would rather drive than deal with this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else until the hotel is updated!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
We sincerely apologize for the very fortunate experience you had during you stay at our hotel. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention and can assure you that we truly do care about all of our guests comfort, health and safety. Our pest control company has address the situation and were reviewing your comments with our team. We value your business and if we can help anyway, please let us know

Kind regards.
Aberdeen, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Room size is great, housekeeping was great, hotel was quiet, front desk was "nice" but really didn't come off as sincere. I made my reservation in advance & also paid in advance we paid Extra for a Bay view. When we arrived we got a pool view and partial Bay view. Sadly the windows were SO CLOUDY you really had NO VEIW. When I went to the front desk to ask about this poor view through cloudy windows she simply said "yes that is the bay view" I said I was very disappointed and she simply stated "sorry to hear that." No attempt to fix this and make it right.

We had to keep fixing the toilet because it kept running, even having to get up in the middle of the night to fix it. We didn't bother to report the toilet based on the assumption that they didn't care that we paid for a view we didn't receive surly they would not care about the toilet. I was disappointed enough that I will not return there simply because I do feel cheated out of my money.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
We really dropped the ball, Larjly. I'm so sorry to hear about the service and maintenance issues you received. This is not consistent with our typically accommodating staff and quality facilities. Please know that these concerns have been addressed and I invite you to contact us so we can help make things right.

Kind regards,
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

This hotel is so old the room refrigerators aren't frost-free.

Okay, just kidding, the hotel is indeed one of the older ones in the chain yet it's still in good condition ... but the fridge in our room was in fact not frost-free. It had two inches of ice in it!

We've stayed here many times over the years and love the location, on the Tampa side of the Courtney-Campbell Causeway near all the Westshore area restaurants and the airport, yet close enough for an easy drive to Safety Harbor, Clearwater and Dunedin. However, the property, while generally well-maintained, is getting a little long in the tooth. It's due for a MAJOR renovation. Close it, gut it and re-do it completely to bring it up to Hilton brand standards.

We were upgraded to a conference room suite -- lots of extra room and an extra half bath, plus a table for eight.

The breakfasts here are great. Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members get the cold buffet free; the upgrade to the full hot breakfast with made-to-order omelets is $5.

The rate we paid (around $185 a night including taxes) is a bit high for what you get, though we did stay in peak season.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LanSluderBelize
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit. We do take pride in the product we provide to our great service scores. I apologize for the ice build up in the refrigerator. I have addressed our Executive Housekeeper to ensure our housekeeping staff is serving the rooms appropriately.
Waverly, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

There are pros and cons of everything in life. Cons: no room service for 2 days, bed was uncomfortable (for me, at least. I ended up going and buying some foam pads from Walmart), limited menu, nothing within walking distance. Pros: reasonably priced, Clearwater beaches within minutes, Spring training for Phillies, Yankees and Blue Jays all close by, quiet location, quiet stay even though it was spring break time (our hotel was not on the beach so there weren't a bunch of college students), food was delicious, free parking, Clearwater Marine close by (home of Winter the Dolphin) and Dolphins swam in the bay EVERY SINGLE DAY! (it was awesome - they just swam around and hung out for hours). We were in room 529 - great view of the bay. We had a 2 room suite with a microwave and mini fridge. We would stay there again, definitely.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you on your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with the discomfort of the bed. I hope the next time you are in Tampa, you will give us another opportunity.

Derby, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Convenient to airport and surrounding access to main highways; however, this hotel needs a face lift. Outdated decor and rooms. Upon check-in, we could not open our door. Key turned light green and door would not push open. Maintenance had to be called and a new lock had to be installed which delayed our departure for an event. The staff is great - friendly and willing help. It would be nice if the lobby offered complimentary coffee.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we appreciate your feedback. Were always looking for new opportunities to make enhancement updates to our interior look and will keep your suggestions in mind. I apologize that your room lock was broken and regret the inconvenience this caused you and delayed arrival to your scheduled event. Were working with our maintenance team to ensure were doing all we can to prevent the issue for future guests. Please let us know if you have any additional comment that would help make your stay even better.

Warm regards
Elkhorn, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights in early March as part of a two-week Florida visit. We were familar with the location as we've eaten at the Bahama Breeze restaurant a few blocks away during previous visits. The location is convenient if you like to be centrally located - getting to Clearwater and St. Pete beaches took about a half-hour while those with business in Tampa or heading to Busch Gardens will be happy as well.

As mentioned in most of the other reviews - this hotel is showing it's age. Lobby areas and even the building need freshening - and it won't be cheap as this is a big hotel. The rooms themselves were spotless and huge. The pool area is very large and right on the water. I assumed the pool was in the sun most of the day but it's not positioned as I thought - no sunset view from the pool and that means no sun after around 4pm, depending on the time of the year. The hotel does not have a whirlpool - a bit of a disappointment as my wife loves lounging in one with a book.

Another negative was that the rooms lacked a balcony or windows that opened. Such a beautiful view across the water - seems like a shame to be locked up without outdoors exposure to the elements.

The health club is located on the third floor - a nice selection of cardio but as with the other two hotels we stayed at on this trip - no strength training machines - only dumbbells and a bench.

We had the breakfast buffet ($15) our last day and it was pretty good - it beats driving around looking for a place downtown Tampa for an alternative. That said, the menu and reputation/comments here and elsewhere regarding the restaurant were enough to not tempt fate for lunch or dinner. The previously mentioned Bahama Breeze - just down the street from the hotel - is a very enjoyable place - great outdoor bar area with island-style music (typically a solid one-man band) and the food is pretty good as well.

Beside the Bahama Breeze, there are 4-5 other solid dinner/entertainment places with a mile of the Doubletree including Whiskey Joes (average but a good Florida beach style venue), the Tampa version of the Rusty Pelican that got it's rep via it's Miami Key Biscayne location, Chart House and a few others. If you really plan on centering your activities around the Clearwater to St. Pete Beach area - you probably should stay on the other side of the bay closer to the beaches - as traffic back to the city on the causeways from around 4-6pm can be bad even without any accidents and horrendous with one.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. Due to our concern for guest safety we do not have balcony's nor windows that can open. I am pleased to report we will be undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation next year. I am confident you will enjoy the changes we make. I hope next time you are in Tampa, you will give us another opportunity and tell us what you think.