“Nice hotel and friendly staff (but not enough parking)”

Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore
Ranked #60 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed two nights and really liked this hotel. Almost everything was perfect. The breakfast buffet was a little understaffed and there was a need for more and better parking available but overall we thought it was good for the price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Doug G,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a review. Sometimes we do fill the parking lot but during the day, the restaurant to our west is our overflow and in the evenings the parking deck to our east has more than enough spaces to meet the needs. Plus, all parking is complimentary. We will do our best to remove the ‘almost’ from your second sentence. Hope to see you again, soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked this hotel for a tournament at Innisbrook Resort. The commute was not terrible about 30 minutes. This was the only Sheraton that was in the area to use points so booked this hotel. This hotel looked like an old Embassy Suites hotel from back in the day. The interior of the hotel is all open with a man-made creek running through the center to create a tranquil feel. The hallways are in need of new carpet and painting. The rooms are in need of an update as well. As I said it looks like an Embassy Suites that just changed names when purchased and nothing further was done to the hotel. The bathroom lighting was very low only two side lights on either side of the mirror and did not produce much lighting. I would definitely not book this hotel again even if I had to pay for another hotel brand and not use my points.

Dear bubears-sicem,

Thank you for completing a review on your recent stay. Indeed we were born an Embassy Suites but have been a Sheraton Suites now for many years. A $14 million renovation was completed in 2009 but constant maintenance is necessary to keep everything looking proper. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. On the bathroom lighting, you are not the first to wish for greater illumination. We are in the midst of retrofitting the fixtures which is almost doubling the brightness and we just had the carpets professionally cleaned this last week. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

As a previous employer for IHG hotels I have some standard of how a stay at any hotel should be, especially when paying $120.00 a night! We arrived late Friday night for a two night stay for my boyfriends daughters soccer tournament. Her nor I were feeling well after a long car ride & headed up to the room on the far end of the hotel on the second floor. While he was parking the car we went up to the room with both of our room keys & neither key would open the door. I picked up the phone by the elevator & called down to the front desk. The lady that answered the phone did not even state her name when she answered. When I told her our keys were not working she told me that I wasn't doing it right & that I needed to keep on trying. After another 10 more mins of trying I called down to the desk again & she finally came up with new keys. She had a mean look on her face as if I bothered her for trying to help us get into our room. The next morning we brought a plate of breakfast up for his daughter to eat in the room because she was still not feeling. When leaving for the soccer field at about 9am I put all of our dirty towels in a pile in the room & set the plate from breakfast outside the door. When we arrived back at the hotel close to 4pm the plate was still in the same place as well as the pile of towels in the room, so clearly our room was not serviced. I called down to the desk & told them that our room had not been serviced. Once again the girl answering the phone was rude. She told me that housekeeping has until 6pm to service the rooms. I would suggest hiring more housekeepers because rooms should be completed by 5pm so that guest can check in on time. I told her that we needed to rest before heading back to the soccer field so if we could please get some fresh towels. Later that night after the game we arrived back to the hotel at a little after 10pm, worn out from a long day we walk to the elevator on our side (the far end) & one of the elevators was down. We waited a long time waiting for the one elevator working to come down. A room service guy with a large cart of dishes told me that the other elevator would soon not work either because he needed it to get from floor to floor. Walking all over the hotel just to get where & what we needed was a huge inconvenience because the layout of the lobby & restaurant are horrible. I went down to the restaurant & asked one of the waitresses for two plates & two sets of silverware, she looked as if I was bothering her & never gave them to me so I had to ask the bartender (who was the only person working in the hotel that had a smile on his face). The bathroom in our room had a few problems, which for the hotels that I worked for would clearly state to put the room out of order. The shower drain had tried to be place in with caulking, when pulling it to drain the water the whole thing came out of the tub. The fan did not work so the moisture caused the paint on the ceiling to fall on the floor & on anyone sitting on the toilet. In the morning for breakfast the restaurant would run out of food because they were clearly not prepared for how many guests were staying in the hotel. This morning when we were leaving with a cooler, suitcases & so forth the elevators nearest to our room were not working causing us to wait almost 20 mins. The staff was more concerned getting their cleaning carts on & off first before the guest.
All & all the whole staff needs some serious training in customer service. This is just the review from our stay. It would be too much for me to write about the experience for the whole soccer team. All of us discussed this hotel at the soccer field & everyone had a horrible stay!

Dear Rachelle M,

Mere words cannot express my regret for the many inconveniences we caused you and your party that weekend. Indeed, the level of business in the hotel overwhelmed our staff on many fronts. It is our responsibility to properly prepare for the groups coming to the hotel and for this weekend we failed. By private message I hope to connect with you to further provide my apology to you. Our team has evaluated the events of that weekend so we can be better prepared in the future. While painful to read, it is necessary to learn where our opportunities lie and your feedback is taken constructively and is appreciated.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night last week. This hotel looked just like one we had stayed at in Los Angeles minus all of the perks (happy hour reception, complimentary breakfast buffet etc). When I entered, the three staff members at the front desk completely ignored me. There were no other guests present. I had to approach an agent and greet him. Not off to a good start! The staff member offered no information about the hotel and never asked if I was a SPG member or even for my room preference. His demeanor was dull and he appeared to be bored. I am not the kind of guest who expects a whole lot to be happy, but I just found no benefits of staying at this hotel. Room was ok through the night, but housekeeping staff noise was very loud in the morning. Obvious signs of neglect in the room (clogged drains, damaged drywall, oozing glue around the sink/counter). Pool area was clean but no-frills. Atrium area looked eerily deserted during our stay. Upon departure, I was about to get a coffee-to-go from the pump-carafes until I noticed the $2.00 sign over the coffee carafes. Seriously?? Hotel lobby coffee at $2.00. Insulting! Husband and I went right to Starbucks for the real stuff!

I referred to other guest reviews before I made this choice. BUt I was disappointed with my experience. Hope this helps someone else out there. There are so many other options to choose from, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Liz1ttr,

I thank you for your candid review of your stay. First impressions are so important and I apologize that we failed you on that and then inconvenienced you with issues in your suite. We value our Starwood Preferred Guest members and your feedback will be shared with our team to emphasize that we need to be on our game for every single quest. By private message I hope to learn the suite number so I can insure the issues you mention have been remedied. Future guests should note that complimentary Starbucks coffee is available in all suites.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed here for one night pre-cruise on January 25, 3014 in room 707. Four adults shared a one bedroom suite. There was plenty of room and the hotel was very pretty. Two of us smoke and they had a smoking area on each floor, which was nice. The breakfast buffet was pricey but good. The personnel were awesome and it was very convenient that they would drive us to bars in the area. However, the room temp was hard to control...VERY hot. Plus, our toilet didn't work well and after an hour maintenance still hadn't come to our room. We ended up on the elevator complaining about it and it turned out the guy with us was the maintenance manager who said he would take care of it immediately. We were able to park a car for 8 days for $20 right at the hotel, plus they had a free airport shuttle. The shuttle to the cruise port was $10 per person, which wasn't bad at all. However they do NOT pick up at the cruise port. Two of us were flying home and we got an airport shuttle for $22 for both of us. The others had to take a cab back to the hotel. We would definitely try this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MarilynJ6354,

Thank you for the constructive feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry for the issue with the temperature and toilet in your suite and that we did not respond quicker. I am pleased that you will visit us again in the future. Say hello to the Queen City for me.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I've been to this hotel many times and have always had a very nice stay. The rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are extremely comfortable, the workout area is great and the restaurant is really a hit. My last stay was just a few nights ago and when I returned home I noticed that I had left my iPad in my room at the hotel. I knew exactly where I left it and could see it clearly in my head. Called up the Sheraton and was told that the General Manager had it in the office. I called a coworker at the hotel and she picked it up for me. Kudos to the Sheraton and the staff! Thanks so much! Will choose this hotel next time I'm in Tampa! :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sharvi67,

So glad we were able to retrieve and return your iPad. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have stayed at the property a number over times (probably over 12), and there has been a rapid decline in their housekeeping and room maintenance – even after their massive renovation a few years ago. The first night I arrived last and really did not look around the room – by the second night my allergies were full blown – I looked around the room – for starters: 1) the mold in the A/C vent in the bedroom for starters; 2) the dust in the corner of the floors was thick; 3) The hole in the wall; 4) the rust on the shower curtain bar; 5) the rust on the handicapped bar in the shower. When I checked out, I was never asked “how was your stay” – but I told him – he seemed uninterested. If room 801 has mold issues in the A/C vent how many other rooms have the same problem? A complete walk through needs to be done and train your staff on cleaning! Also, I was suppose to have free wireless internet in the room, but the connection does not work with iPad’s. I was told it is a known problem and there was nothing they could do about it. I guess it is free is you are not like the millions of people who own iPads.

Room Tip: Stay in the front part of the hotel - the back is right along the interstate and it can be very loud...