“Would not recommend staying more than one night”

Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore
Ranked #49 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Vancouver, Canada
“Would not recommend staying more than one night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

As a SPG Platinum 75 Member I am disappointed. I got a very good deal with the points which was unbeatable in terms of the price. However, I would not come back here after this stay.
I checked into this hotel, because my favorite Tampa property (Westin Harbor Island) was sold out. The location of this hotel in terms of proximity to the airport is great. Other than that I would not recommend staying more than one night for the following reasons I have experienced so far:
1. the WiFi only works if you sit near the door, i.e. won't work in your bedroom.
2. I ordered food and unfortunately the instructions were not followed properly.
3. The lighting in the bathroom is terrible.
4. The room phone does not work properly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Oncofighter,

Please allow me to apologize for the aggravations we caused you during your recent stay with us. By private message I hope to learn your suite number so I can follow up and insure the issues have been corrected. I appreciate your loyalty to Starwood hotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is the second year i have stayed there as part of a baseball trip. The location is perfect if you are visiting any of the ball parks in the Tampa / Orlando/ St Pete area. It is a 5 min drive to the airport and close the causeways to St Pete. It is on the 275 so access to the 4 is also easy.

The rooms are all suites with a sitting area and bedroom. They are not 5 star but at more than comfortable and clean.

Great atrium and very cool breakfast room let's you enjoy their buffet in the atrium. Good work out room and tons of parking.

If you want convenience and price and proximity this place is hard to beat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear srhasting1,

Thank you for your kind words and for staying with us, again. A repeat guest is the best compliment. Baseball is the best part of spring. As Rogers Hornsby once said, “People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I'm presently doing my cardiovascular exercise in their gym. I chose this property bc of their much lauded athletic facility. What a dump. A few cardiovascular machines, dismal dumbbell set and three benches. None of the cardiovascular machine touch screens work. Their buttons need to be reconfigured, they often depress another function even though you hit the correct button. I've tried three different classes of machines - treadmill, elliptic and bicycle - and no matter how hard I depress the touch pad, I get varied incorrect responses.

Then there is the front desk. I paid my room ahead of time... Big mistake. They decided without my knowledge to take more money, the famous
"hold", from my bank account just because they could. When I approached the front desk they apologized, did not know who or why took a couple of hundred dollars from my bank "on hold", but I'd have to call my bank to reverse it. Gee thanks

Lets not forget the maids. The noise they generate at the ends of the hallways that lead to the outdoor vending machines is shrill. I was trying to have a business meeting in my suite only to run out of my room to contain the party noise the maids were having outside in the morning. I looked at them sternly, said nothing, and returned to my meeting.

The property is an atm machine for management. Customer service is nonexistent. It's all about revenue and forgetting their so called industry.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear wjdcr1,

Thank you for sharing the feedback from your stay with me. Please allow me to apologize for failing to meet your expectations in several areas. You point out issues that we need to improve on or be more consistent. I assure you that we typically meet or exceed our guests needs and I regret that for your stay, we let you down. I take these comments to heart and have shared them with our team to create greater awareness. I appreciate your constructive comments.
Ambler, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Positives: Spacious suites, nicely designed and maintained lobby/interior of hotel.
Negatives: Road noise from Interstate just outside window (room was on 6th floor and noise was still constant. I don't know why they removed the sliders from the window area -- it would have provided an extra layer of sound insulation). A/C unit didn't work overnight and in AM called front desk and engineer was sent to fix it. He said the in-ceiling units were poorly designed. He fixed it and left and then unit started pouring water onto carpet. Breakfast buffet had the standard items but was not included in the room price. Last thing: free internet is only in the 3 computers in the lobby. NO free Wi-Fi!! -- that needs to change if they want to stay competitive.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face I-4.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear jeff f,

I appreciate the feedback from your recent stay. Please allow me to apologize for the noise that was bothersome and for the issues with the air conditioner. While the units can be troublesome, it is our job to see that they are working as they should. In regards to the Internet fee, it is still the Sheraton brand standard but I appreciate your view and please consider your opinion having been heard.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is my third review of the Sheraton Tampa Westshore. My husband, son and I stayed here while visiting Tampa. The hotel is lovely, rooms well appointed as usual, and the pull-out couch comfortable for our son. Just one complaint - no free Wi-Fi??? I guess we had never tried to access this before, but this seems quite unusual for this sort of hotel which caters to a lot of airline personnel/business people. I have still given an excellent rating, as we will certainly be back, and use this hotel mainly when we are traveling out of TPA. However, please re-think the Wi-Fi policy.......:)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
David R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear rtk56,

Thank you for your loyalty and for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your suite. It is currently the standard for many of the large brands to impose a fee for Internet service. However, I figure that it will not be too long before that changes. (Consider your vote counted!) Until that happens, we must follow our brand standards. That said, all Sheraton hotels provide complementary Internet service in their lobbies and in the Link@Sheraton business centers. We look forward to your next visit!
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport for 4 nights starting on December 25 while waiting for our cruise to begin. We reserved on SPG points and were very pleased that taxes were included.

Due to weather conditions at home we were 3 hours late in arriving and we were told that due to a large group coming in in two days time we could not have the 2 queen bed room we had reserved far in advance. So they put us in a king bed room and brought in a roll away and upgraded us to the Starwood Preferred Guest floor (no lounge). This was okay but there was only the security guard at that hour (after 11 pm) to bring up the roll away bed and all he wanted to bring was the bed and 1 sheet. It took quite a bit of negotiating on my part to have him bring a pillow, another sheet and a blanket as all he kept pointing to was the sofa bed and said "use that". Well that would have been fine if we had the two beds that we reserved. After 30 minutes I finally got another sheet, a pillow and a blanket.

The room would have been better if we didn't have the roll away in it but worked well for our family of 4. There is a small bar fridge, a microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom is very tiny and so is the one closet. But it was only for a short time so we managed.

The restaurant on property is not that great. Some staff are fantastic while others should not have bothered getting out of bed. The first morning we all had the buffet and paid the same price for all. We thought it was a bit expensive for what we got. We also were given tickets to the managers reception for Thursday night and that was also disappointing in that the food was gone as soon as it was brought out and it was minimal at best. The next morning we were not going to do the buffet as the price was too high but we were told that there was a children's price which was half the adult price. We asked why we were not told that the day before and showed them the bill for the 4 full price buffets. They gave us our breakfast complimentary.

Dinner service wasn't much better and they kept coming back to tell us they did not have an item we had ordered. One person again did most of the work while the other restaurant staff stood around and talked while tables went uncleaned and people waited.

There is laundry facilities for the guests, two washers and two dryers which was great.

When the group arrived it was mostly young girls who were dancing at a football game on Jan 1 so it was bedlam. Ironically enought the quality of the food in the buffet at breakfast improved dramatically so I guess we have the group to thank.

Another nice thing about this hotel is that they provide a free shuttle to take you anywhere in a 3 mile radius. They took us to a pharmacy, liquor store, restaurants and to the International Plaza.

We booked their shuttle to take us to the pier the morning of our cruise and we were the only ones on it. It cost the same as a taxi and no issue for our luggage fitting in the van.

We would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
David R, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear 2plus2-9,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a comprehensive review on your stay with us at the end of December. I am sorry that not all team members stepped up during your time with us. I have shared your feedback with the staff to illustrate how everyone is always on stage and that we must be consistent with great hospitality at all times. Your comments will help us to improve, thank you.
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore hotel for one night before our cruise. The location was excellent- about 10 mins away from the airport and 20 mins from the cruise port. One of the best parts of our stay was that there was a free shuttle that picked us up from the airport as well as drove us to the local attractions (Westshore mall and Walgreens).
The inside of the hotel was beautiful- completely open with trees and streams. The room itself was nothing special, your typical Sheraton room.
The only disappointment was that there was no club lounge for club members.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KevAmanda,

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us before you set sail. Burlington Ontario. Home of actor Jim Carrey and the Museum of Oddities. On my bucket list to visit (in the summer).