“Convenient and Comfortable Lodgings Made It Easy To Work Away From Home”

Residence Inn Tampa Downtown
Ranked #69 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Miami Beach, Florida
“Convenient and Comfortable Lodgings Made It Easy To Work Away From Home”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed five nights at the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and it was comfortable and convenient. There is an outdoor gated parking lot across the street which was easy to access (for guests, not criminals - you can only get in with you key card). The free breakfast buffet in the morning is surprisingly good - everything from bagels and oatmeal to make your own waffles, scrambled eggs and breakfast sandwiches. The coffee is not good, but it is drinkable (unlike the coffee in the room - bring your own if you are picky and staying for a while). There aren't many dining options for dinner so be prepared to drive. But if your business is at the federal courthouse, it's extremely convenient and walkable (about three blocks). It is recently re-done and fairly new without any obvious signs of wear. Overall, the hotel succeeds in easing, not impeding, the ability to work away from home.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn by Marriott Tampa Downtown and sharing your experience about the ability to be productive while traveling. You mentioned our secured-self parking option across the street. This particular convenience is a favorite among our guests who prefer to avoid typical valet parking arrangements. Thanks as well for mentioning our breakfast buffet which has been upgraded to include fresh fruit, yogurt parfaits as well as a rotation of made for you items. We are looking forward to your return visit and invite you to contact us if we can ever be of service.

Stephanos G. Anamisis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I just checked out this morning from this warm and very welcoming hotel. I stayed here while this was a recommended hotel from the Norman Parathyroid Centre at Tampa General Hospital. The staff were very friendly and the complimentary breakfasts and evening spread were all you could ask for. The one bedroom suite was very nice with a tv in each room along with the usual kitchenette amenities. It is close to many downtown amenities such as the Children's Museum and everything else downtown. Also only 4 blocks from the HART bus stop (Bus #30) to/from Tampa International Airport (1.75$ one way and only recommended if you only have carry-on as they don't have space for luggage). Only 5 blocks away from the Main Bus Center (Bus #5) that drops you off right in front of Busch Gardens (again only 1.75$).
I would definitely stay here again and next time bring my family with me.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and providing your feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your suite, the complimentary breakfast, and used our shuttle while visiting Tampa General Hospital. It is our pleasure to be be able serve the needs and provide care for Tampa General Hospital patients. Thank you in particular for sharing with us the information about your Busch Garden's trip which utilized the local HART bus stop. I am certain that many of our customers will also find this to be a great choice for a free day in Tampa.

NJ
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Stephano, Delores and Kenny are always so friendly and helpful. They went the extra mile to help my family. They are all very knowledgeable about the area and very accommodating to all of our needs. The hotel is in a great location for UT parents. The hotel is very clean and breakfast was very good. It was a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown while visiting University of Tampa and providing your feedback. I am pleased to hear about your experience with our staff as well as the quality of our breakfast. You may be visiting your son or daughter during a future trip to Tampa and invite you to contact me
if I can ever assist.

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My husband and I traveled to the Tampa area for a wedding with our two adult sons. We had a one-bedroom suite and a studio. Both rooms were spacious and very clean and the beds were very comfortable. It would be a great place for a long-term stay because the rooms have a full refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and stove top, as well as a kitchen table/chairs - if you wanted to cook rather than eat out. Our sons enjoyed the baskeball court and pool and we all liked the fact that we could walk to restaurants/bars. A Target and Whole Foods is close to the hotel and was very easy to find. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating and would definitely stay there again. The only negative thing I would say is that I felt the cleaning staff seemed anxious for us to check out so they could clean the room.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and providing your feedback. I am pleased to hear about your experience using our suite amenities as well as the friendly and accommodating staff. Your experience with the cleaning staff has been communicated to the department manager and is being reviewed for quality service level improvements. If we can ever be of service during a future trip to Tampa, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I came to this property in hopes that " Marriott Standards" are the same around the world. Upon entering the hotel ( should call it a motel), no one was at the checkin desk. I kindly rung the bell, and a young african fellow in sneakers by the name of Kenneth came up to check me in . He made no eye contact me with, and didnt offer any of the hotel ammenities, and above all, didn't give me the password for inernet access. I had to call down, without anyone picking up the line. Left me no choice but to come down myself and interrupt my conference call. That night, I was told that walking was acceptable to get to the nearby bars. Literally three homeless men stopped to ask me for money!!! On top of that, there were homeless bums sleeping outside of the library!!How weird is this? Upon checkout, I was rudely interrupted by a housekeeper with a bad attitude. She didnt knock, entered my room, and told me I had to checkout To me, it looks like they hire any one from the street to do the job. . I asked for a late checkout upon checkin, and again, another problem. I marched down to the desk, and spoke with one of the Head Managers about everything. This guy was a total moron, and didnt offer any solution. I will be writing to Marriott Customer Care about everything, and hopefully shuy this place down for good!! Never stay here, or any other Marriott again!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank sunshinestate585
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Mar 1, 2011
I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of our Residence Inn secured High Speed Internet while a guest of ours. We offer both wired and wireless connectivity and at no additional cost to our guests. However I do apologize that you did not verbally receive the password at check in. As a second resource for our guests, our front desk key cards jackets are stamped with the WIFI password. Either way, I do apologize for the oversight and will communicate this to our team for follow up.
You did mention the late check out as a second item. We are pleased to offer an extended a courtesy late check out when coordinated through our front desk in advance. In some cases, additional charges are applicable however we do make every effort to accommodate our guest special requests.
I personally invite you to give us another try during your next visit to Tampa and invite you to contact me if I can ever be of service.

Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 21 March 2011

A group of us (four girls) stayed at this hotel last weekend. We opted for a two bedroom/two bath room which worked perfectly.

There was a queen bed and bathroom in each room. Each room also had its own desk, closet, and flat-screen TV. In the living room, there was a nice big couch, a chair, a flat-screen TV and also a fireplace! The room setup was PERFECT and that's why I love the Residence Inn properties. They really make it nice to travel with a group!

The kitchen was stocked. It was your typical Residence Inn-style with granite countertops, a big fridge and an oven, plus a coffeemaker and microwave. Also had plates, utensils (including a bottle opener!), cups, etc. There was a small dining table just between the kitchen and the living room.

Free wifi did work (get the passcode from reception).

The pool area was quite small. It is shared with the Courtyard, which is a Marriott-sister property. We arrived at the pool area around 1 p.m. and were only able to find a few seating chairs around a table - the loungers were already taken (and there was only about 10 of them to begin with). The towels were all in use as well. Staff said the pool was heated but yiiiikes, it was not!

When we asked about getting more towels, we were told they were in the dryer. 40 minutes later, still no towels. We finally asked for shower towels (a towel is a towel, right?) and instead they handed us damp pool towels that they had plucked out of the dryer. How classy!

The small area where you can buy snacks is OK, but the lack of health food is downright atrocious. I mean, come on Tampa. There wasn't even a frozen pizza that wasn't laden with meat products (so if you are a vegetarian, COME PREPARED). No booze for sale in the small marketplace either, so again, come prepared. The Courtyard does have a bar that I believe opens at 4:30 p.m. every day.

We used the free shuttle to get to Ybor which was very convenient. The shuttle stops at 11 p.m. so we had to cab-it back to the hotel (no big whoop).

Unfortunately we were too hungover (ugh) to get up in time to take advantage of the free breakfast...

I lost an earring while I was there and unfortunately after 3 calls to lost & found I have yet to get a call back on it (just tell me that you DON'T have it, that's all I need to hear!).

All in all I would recommend this hotel but when people griped in previous reviews about the customer service, I presumed they were just being touchy. But they were right - this place's staff could use a refresher.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hosalito
GMRITAMPADOWNTOWN, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and providing valuable feedback. Your feedback is important and will be shared with our hotel staff for quality improvements.
I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of our hotel's proximity to Tampa nightlife including Ybor City, Channelside, and Hyde Park. I did see where you mentioned a few items including our heated pool and its size. I apologize for your experience during your visit. In addition to this leisure space, we do offer two heated spas, a Sport Court ® and a guest barbeque area with additional and moveable seating. You also mentioned the availability of health food which is very important to many of our customers. I will review the selections that were available for sale in our Market and make appropriate adjustments.
Moultrie, GA
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed here because it was close to st Pete forum. Staff was friendly, room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was good, although the space wasn't big enough. The weather was great so we took our breakfast outside. There is a basketball court outside, which people were always taking advantage of. The court needs a gate if some sort.I got hit with a ball once, and almost twice. Parking area isn't big enough - hard to find a spot when you come in late. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple