“Couldn't ask for a better stay”

Residence Inn Tampa Westshore/Airport
Ranked #54 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 12 November 2008

I stayed at this Residence Inn for 2 nights while attending a wedding in Tampa. I had booked a studio suite but was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite. My room consisted of a kitchen with a full-sized fridge, a range, a microwave, a dishwasher, and sink. There were pots for cooking, flatware, plates, etc. The kitchen had everything I needed. There was a living room with a couch, chair, ottoman, table, and flat screen TV. There was also a desk just inside the door and a table for eating near the kitchen. Off of the living room, I had a small balcony. My bedroom had a queen-sized bed, two nightstands, a dresser, and another flat screen TV. Off the bedroom was a vanity area and the bathroom. The room came with an iron/ironing board and hair dryer.

Check-in was fast and efficient and the front desk staff gave me a nice map that showed all of the area restaurants and stores. Everytime I asked them for directions, they were super helpful and nice.

One afternoon I used the pool area to sunbathe. The pool itself was very cold, but I thought I had read that it was supposed to be heated. Not sure if it wasn't heated, or if it just wasn't very warm. I did enjoy the hot tub. Off of the pool area, is a small basketball court. I didn't use it, but if my husband had been with me, I know he would've enjoyed it.

The only slightly negative remark I have is on the included breakfast. The eggs didn't look very appetizing and I bit into a potato and it was still frozen. I know the breakfast in complementary and I was not expecting anything fancy, but I do think if you're going to offer a hot breakfast, you should at least do it well. There weren't many choices of cereals and yogurts and other cold items. My suggestion would be that instead of offering a mediocre "hot" breakfast, perhaps refocus and just serve a really excellent cold continental breakfast. I know this hot breakfast is a hallmark of the Residence Inn brand, but I am not sure they are doing it particularly well. The make-your-own waffles did look good and seemed popular. Again, I wasn't totally disappointed in the breakfast and I was able to have some fruit and a muffin and was fine. Just a little suggestion. Nothing that affected my stay. And, hey, every room has a kitchen so you are able to prepare your own, I suppose.

The location was great. It's right across the street from the International Plaza (which I suppose you could walk to, but I wouldn't recommend it). In the parking lot there are a couple of restaurants and delivery is available from many more. Within a 5-10 minute drive is just about every chain and store you could think of. Also, it's just about a 7 minute drive from the airport.

I had a very nice stay at this hotel and was sorry to leave. You can't beat the suits. I really felt at home here.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 April 2008

I just want to second what mcemanuel wrote below in his/her review. Hard to add much after that very thorough review!

What I will add is this: our room was so nice and looked so new, I had to ask if this was a new hotel. They said it is about 5 to 7 years old, but all the rooms have just been renovated over the last 3 or 4 months. They also said the lobby and breakfast area will be going through renovations in the next month or so (May 2008?).

They have a great manager's reception every night Monday through Thursday from 5pm to 7pm in the breakfast area, with beer/wine/soda, and munchies like tacos, cheese, soups, and veggies.

The hotel is in a great location. It is about 20 miles to Clearwater Beach and 15 minutes to Busch Gardens. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance. We ate at Lee Roy Selmon's Retaurant right across from the hotel and enjoyed it.

MAJOR HINT: This hotel is NOT on Boy Scout Blvd.! Boy Scout Blvd. is only 1 block long and not identified very well on any street signs. From I-275, take Exit 40B, Lois Ave and head North. The hotel will be on your left about 1 mile from I-275. From Dale Mabry Nortbound, make a left onto W. Columbus Dr which turns into Boy Scout, but turn left onto Lois then right into the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DriveOrFly
Reviewed 20 March 2008

Right now, we are in the midst of our 8 night stay at this Marriot Residence Inn on Boy Scout Blvd near the Tampa Airport. Everything is going very well with this hotel. We have 4 adults and our 2 year old vacationing at this hotel and I would highly recommend this property for the following reasons:

1) The staff has been friendly and actually have gone out of their way to make sure our stay is and has been pleasant. Nearly every staff member has been friendly and asks if we need anything. During our first night, we needed several items, such as extra hangers, a hair dryer (a second one), an alarm clock (a second one) and other "little things" to make our vacation even better. The staff brought up everything we needed and with a smile! We were pleasantly surprised again and again with their helpful, great attitudes!

2) There is coffee in the lobby 24 hours a day!

3) There is a hot breakfast each and every day that includes: Cold cereal, hot oatmeal, fresh hot waffles that you make fresh (huge in size, with all the toppings), REAL eggs, home fries, sausage patties, fresh fruit, donuts, muffins, bagels, croissants (some days) and french toast other days. You won't ever have to pay for breakfast or go out to eat in the morning.

4) Nearly every night, they had snacks, tacos, or other "goodies" to munch on... one night they had soup and salad and the fixings, so we didn't have to pay for dinner!

5) Our room had two beds and a kitchenette with a dishwasher, sink, utensils, refrigerator/freezer (full size), full size stove with oven and 4 burners, microwave, kitchen table and chairs,etc.

6) Large flat screen television in each bedroom and one in the living room. That's three tv's total in our suite!

7) A "fireplace" in the living room that is a heater if you need it

8) They also have central air conditioning / heat as you need it in/for your room.

9) Separate bathrooms, sinks, showers and mirrors in each bedroom. Three sinks total in the suite that includes the kitchen sink with a garbage disposal.

10) One day we forgot to do the dishes, leaving them in the kitchen sink. The maid cleaned our room and put them in the dishwasher! Nice touch again! (The hotel even provides the dishwashing detergent).

11) Two outdoor grills are near the pool, so just stop at a nearby supermarket to pick up some steaks, etc and have at it! (One night the hotel made burgers and hot dogs during a happy hour where they also gave out free beer and wine... the free beer and wine occurred several of the nights we stayed there. Very nice touch.

THE LOCATION is AWESOME! We came down to watch the New York Yankees and Spring Training games. Legends field is only about 1 mile away from this hotel, and the airport is only another mile. There is a great mall nearby that had tremendous restaurants. I would recommend TOO JAY'S Deli very highly on the outside of the mall for great food! Next to this deli are many restaurant and bars that Derek Jeter and Michael Jordan have been seen dining and drinking in! In our hotel (that I am writing about), we met Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry, and several sports figures (announcers) from WFAN in New York City... very cool!

The cons with the room:

1) Our first night was very noisy with doors closing below and above us, but it was only a problem on the first night. Having said that, if we continued to have a problem, we would have asked to be moved, since I saw the front desk move a family's room from one to another for a similar reason.

2) The garbage cans in the room are very small (only 3 total) and fill up quickly.

3) There are a lot of families here, so if you are looking for extreme quietness, this may not be the place for you. Having said this, we rarely heard other families talking or noise from other rooms. I only say the noise is sometimes a problem because of our first night, where we heard the doors slamming and a loud tv.

4) Parking is at a premium... sometimes is was hard to find a spot.

5) The pool is small, and some days was very crowded. Other days not one person was swimming! Hot tub near the pool as well as a small enclosed basketball court; very nice.
OVERALL, I would rate this property a 4.5 out of 5 stars for the price, location, service and included food. I would stay here again.

Hope this helps,
Mike

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank mcemanuel
Reviewed 28 July 2007

I'm just concluding a weeks stay on business
The rooms are clean and modern. The beds and linens are excellent.
The location is great if you like to be near the action, shopping, etc
However, this hotel is noisy. There is a big crack at the bottom of the room door and all the traffic in the hallways + the housekeeping slaming the doors makes for a noisy experience. I was working nights and sleeping during the days so this was a challenge.
If you want a quiet tranquil suites hotel, try the Chase Suites at Rocky Point. I hear they are installing new beds soon (my only complaint there), so that will be my first choice next time.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank deathracer
Reviewed 26 May 2007

We stayed here for one night in April 2007. My niece had a block of rooms reserved for her wedding guests at a rate of $99 for an efficiency room. We paid $10 more for a 1 bedroom suite. When we arrived I asked the assistant manager who was checking us in if we could get upgraded to a 2 bedroom and she did give us the upgrade. We had a nice clean 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms each with their own bathroom.

The beds were confortable and everything was nice and clean.

There are free computers in the corner of the breakfast room. We did use the pool which was warm, almost like bathwater. The Jacuzzi appeared to not be working while we were there.

We had no problems with parking or housekeeping like some other posters mentioned. The location is good, there are 3 restaurants (Leeroy Selmons, Roys, and Flemings I think) within walking distance and the International Mall is about a 2 -3 minute drive.

Overall I really liked this place and all staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2007

Purposely booked a hotel near the airport with shuttle service which was advertised on line. Got to the airport, called for shuttle service and was told to take a cab, they didn't have shuttle service. When I got to the hotel, I saw in their guest services book in my room that shuttle service was offered. Manager was unaware that the advertise shuttle service. She did however offered to pay for cab fair. Also, no restaurant or lounge yet I read from other travelers that they enjoyed the free drinks from the manager. Free cocktails only occurs on week days. Had to go across the street to the Hilton to get a drink and dinner.

The room however was very nice. Comfy bed, clean room. Lived up to Marriott standards. Would highly recommend if you don't need shuttle service or a place to eat.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2007

I stayed at this Residence Inn on a recent visit to Tampa. Great Location. Close to both the airport and downtown. Several restaurants within walking distance and the International Mall is a short drive right across the street. We had the One Bedroom Suite and our room included a small balcony. Also, the windows in the bedroom opened which was nice this time of year. We were on the 7th floor and had a nice view of the Downtown Tampa skyline. Excellent, friendly staff who assisted with everything from restaurant recommendations to getting us extra glasses. Nice morning buffet but go early as it does get crowded. Free WiFi access in the breakfast room along with free access to 2 computers. Large scale hotel for Residence Inn but all standard Residence Inn amenties included. Would definitely book this hotel again when in Tampa.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family