“A 1 star hotel in 5 star garb”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“A 1 star hotel in 5 star garb”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

My wife, granddaughter and I attended a company function here. Upon pulling up to the valet we were met by a courteous and informative staff offering help and instruction, and that was the last quality customer service we saw for the remaining 18 hours. The check-in desk promptly dashed any idea of an enjoyable and uneventful visit by informing us there would be a 40 minute wait as the room was not ready. My wife had inquired the day before the reservation as to early check in and had been advised the rooms would be available as early as 10am, though we were optimistic Saturday morning about an early arrival we arrived a hair before 3pm, and the yet the room wasn't available. After expressing our concern a room then miraculously appeared. We had asked for the room to be equipped with a roll out bed , which was delivered and left in an upright position, missing any pillows and with a top bedspread that had the insulation value of newspaper. A 13 x 13 padded square of what was expected to pass as a pillow was delivered and we were informed to remove the decorative cover off our bed and use it for the bedspread.
We attended the dinner function, the meal service was exceptional but the food quality was only average. We retired to the room for the evening and attempted to sleep only to have to continuously adjust the room thermostat due to it.s inability to monitor the rooms temperature.
While we're on the subject of the rooms short comings let me also note that the dressing room/ make up area is in the bathroom and that room has absolutely no ventilation what so ever ,leaving the room humid and unusable . Secondly, with 2 of us getting ready for the dinne,r the lack of thought that went into the rooms design made it impossible for both of us to get ready at the same time.
The room also lacked any form of a night light requiring the bathroom light to be left on all night.
Some of you may say I'm whining here but I have a tendency to keep score after the first couple of insults so let me add a little more. $14.95 to get in room internet connection and the valet was 20. The St.Pete Vinoy Renaissance , also a Marriott property, has free valet and internet.
And the final blow was this morning while waiting for my family to awaken I was sitting with my $4.00 cup of coffee in the lobby reading the news paper, and had put my flip flop clad feet on the marble table top of a coffee table. This is a sin, I was told and ask to remove my feet from the table. Would I treat my furniture at home like this, I would say there would be a good chance as it was marble and I wasn't wearing my goat roping boots. But more likely I wouldn't have purchased a non functional piece of furniture but had an ottoman in it's place.
I have to say after this experience I doubt I'll bother to return, and most likely will shy away from any Marriott property, though the Vinoy and her staff are such treasures.
The best description I could give this place is "Just another Patel Hotel but way more expensive."

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Misturdan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, FL USA
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We ended up staying here after first trying the Sheraton Riverwalk (left after an hour due to bugs and mold).

The Marriott is a top notch hotel.

Rooms are fresh smelling, very clean, very comfortable.

Room service excellent.

Price was excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SOBEMiamiBeach
Truro, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Stayed here one night for sporting event at St. Pete's Times Forum. Location close with easy walk to forum. Room was adequate with a nice view. Beds not very comfortable. Matresses seemed old and feathers were coming out of them. Hotel has a nice pool and an elegant lobby. Staff friendly. Charge for the use of lobby internet kiosk. Worth noting also stayed at Embassy Suites across the street and found it to be a better value for the money. The pool was smaller and the view not as good but everything else was as good or better. Parking Valet only.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
New York, US
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Attended a business conference held at this hotel in February. This a beautiful but overpriced hotel. The room was average, the service was average and the hotel restaurant food was below average. The location is good and there is a light rail station almost at the front of the hotel for easy access to other parts of the city.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TriniNewYork
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We fled the dump called the Westin--across the street-- and checked in here. The maid service has been uneven, but magically improved today when we left a tip!;-) The hotel is beautiful, the elevators faaast, the workout area and pool excellent and the view outstanding. The rooms are a bit tight, but fine. What a relief after the wretched Westin!!!

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here during a conference. The rooms and public areas are what you would expect from a nice hotel. What wasn't expected was the poor service. From the valet service, to the breakfast restaurant, to the spa etc etc, the staff seem to do just enough to get by. No smiles, courtesy or hospitality, the staff seem to see no incentive to offer the kind of customer service that is common at other hotels.
Add to that the, IMHO, ridiculously priced food and services, and I unfortunately cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Kukoobear
New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband and I spent a long weekend here in January. The weather was great mid 60's all weekend. Hotel was very clean-no problems at all. Although, we did not spend much time here as we thought. We ended up driving to Clearwater and St Pete the whole weekend to spend time on the beach and have lunch etc. We stayed here because my husband is a Marriott reward member and we stayed here with his points for free. Next time I would stay in Clearwater. We did have coffee on the patio overlooking the marina and that was very beautiful. We walked twice to Jacksons for dinner and drinks. I imagine they are very busy in the summer with their patio overlooking the bay! No parking here, we did valet all weekend which was fine because the room was free! Was very busy this weekend due to a social work conference and people were loud in the lobby and bar but quiet in the halls!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple