“Good stay, could have been great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #19 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“Good stay, could have been great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We had a really nice stay at the Marriott. The staff at the front desk is warm and friendly. The lobby is lovely with tall (but fake) palms extending to the third floor. They honored all of our requests for room floor preferences, pillows, and early arrival. The rooms were clean and well appointed, but you get the impression that something is missing. For example, our housekeeper wrote us a lovely welcome note (PLUS) on a scrap of paper (MINUS). The wired internet is fast in the rooms (PLUS) but there is no wireless internet available in the rooms (MINUS). The valet team was very quick in getting cars (PLUS) but they other four gentlemen waiting for a guest to assist didn't say hello or acknowledge us in any way (MINUS). The hotel has a nice menu for room service (served until midnight) and the restaurant & bars are very reasonable. It was a good stay.

Room Tip: Cityview rooms are very nice on high floors, otherwise opt for harborview!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sleepyDallas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

I travel for work frequently and stay in a lot of fairly good hotels, and this was a HUGE let down for as "nice" as it was claiming to be. . I gave this two stars because the room looked nice and the maid service was nice, otherwise it would have received one star. Where to start...
First of, I don't believe that I am a "cheap" person, but I don't like being taken advantage of. Valet parking was expensive, but I figured it was easy so I was going to do it. When I pulled up, the 15 valet guys were standing around, two of them in my way, not allowing me to pull forward, as another valet told me to do. After these two guys stopped talking and finally moved out of my way, I was irritated and decided to park myself. There is a parking garage across the street (same place they park the valet cars), and it is half the price. My friends were jealous since I was able to go get my car and drive to dinner before their slow moving guys decided to do their jobs and actually go get the car. Did I mention how pushy and uncomfortable the valet guys were?
After finally checking in it was time to go up to the 23rd floor. There were 6 elevators, but they weren't all working. Every time I rode the elevator it took minutes before it would arrive, be packed full of people, and stop and numerous floors on the way up. If you are going to stay here, get a lower floor, or you will spend half your time in the elevator (I stole that line from another customer who was on an elevator ride with me).
Internet is not free, which I think is absolutely ridiculous in 2011. This isn't the only "nice" hotel that I've been to that charges for internet, but usually they are Resort Spa Hotels that charge for internet. There is a cheaper wireless internet that you can get in your room from a internet company (I think it is $9.99/day vs the hotels $14.95/day charge).
I decided to have breakfast in the hotel lobby with a friend. After being seated I looked over the menu. The choices were breakfast buffet for $14.99 or a breakfast item (eggs Benedict). My friend and I chose the breakfast buffet. It was nice, nothing too fantastic though. Typical fruit items, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, toast, and you can get an omelet made if you wanted. If you took away the omelet station, it was a typical breakfast that you would get for free at a Howard Johnson. When the bill came, it was $19/person, which was a little of a surprise since the menu said $15. They informed us, after we had to ask, that it was more because of the "extended options available" that day. Yes, it is only $4 per person, but it was the principal of it. Nowhere was it advertised that it was an extended buffet (which I am not sure what the extended part was, since it was small for a restaurant buffet), and they definitely didn't post the new price anywhere.
Now it is time for the pool. It was raining about half the time I was there, so there was only a small window of time to visit the pool. Shortly after getting to the pool area, they closed it, on a Saturday, for cleaning. I was there about two hours and they never did re-open it. The whole point about going to the pool is to enjoy the refreshing water, that was a waste of time.
Now to the room. The bed looked nice, but it was not to my liking. The mattress in my room was far too hard for my taste. The rooms were a little on the smaller size for their price range, but I have been in worse. The art-work was atrocious. As a photographer I was a bit insulted by the two pictures they chose to hang on the wall (my friend's room had the exact same pictures, so apparently there isn't a lot of variety either). But it is just decorative, so it isn't that big of an issue. The remote for the TV was old and barley working. I wanted some background noise while getting ready for bed, and it was such a hassle to get it to change channels, I just gave up. The linens were okay. I have seen both better and worse. There were some black stains on one of the sheets, I feel they could have bleached that out, but the sheets were obviously clean.
The good points were the maid service, very nice ladies, and the location.
The Embassy Suits were right across the street (which I did visit since they have an actually Starbucks in their lobby). If I you have to stay in that area, I would strongly suggest trying them first.
To summarize my stay, the valet was sub-par, the rooms weren't special, and the food was ridiculously priced, especially since they charge you more then the listed menu price. Try next door if you want what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank SamJoness
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

This hotel is very nice. The rooms are updated. The pool area is beautiful, they also have a nice workout facility. Good restaurant and sports bar. Convenient downtown location if you need to be in this area. It is very close to the University of Tampa and right by the arena. Close to Channelside an area of some small shops, restaurants and movie theater. Do be aware that almost all hotels in downtown Tampa only have valet parking. So you do need to wait for your car which can take a while if they are busy. I believe the cost of valet parking was included with my room rate or if it wasn't the daily charge was minimal compared to other cities. Also, know that this hotel is not close to the airport. About a 15 minute drive with light traffic. During rush hour definitely build in extra time which can really vary. I do recommend taking the highway during rush hour, even with traffic it is still better than the city streets.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Layton, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

A large, upscale Marriott along the Channel Riverwalk. Great views of the bay. Be sure to ask for a high floor. A warning -- not close to the airport at all. Figure a good $25 for a cab ride. But, it is right by the Convention Center.

Was on business and stayed here Sept. 13-16th 2010 and had a very enjoyable time. My flight arrived earlier than the 4pm check-in time, but they had no trouble getting me into a room, which I appreciated.

My room was large and spacious -- it had two queen sized beds in it but still felt like there was room to move and stretch. All of the fititngs and linens were crisp and new, the room was very clean. Nice big desk for working, and a 37" flat-screen TV for lazy evenings. Best part -- you could set the thermostat all the way down to 62deg. to fight the hot Tampa humidity. Loved it.

The restaurant off the lobby -- Champions Sports Bar -- had good, reasonably priced food and plenty of screens to watch your favorite games.This hotel is close to everything, and is right at the end of the Trolly line that runs to Ybor City.

Great hotel, great experience. I will return should I ever travel to Tampa again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kjwzoom
South Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I stayed here recently on business. The hotel is large with a very nice lobby. The sports bar is nice and decorated well. The fitness center has free weights, treadmills, and other machines. The pool area is nice and on a balcony. The balcony rooms overlooking the water are great. The concierge lounge is pleasant and even has balcony to eat out on. The only complaint would be noise from other rooms. I could hear every word the folks in the room to me were saying, even with the TV on.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FTLAW
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with this Marriott. It was very well maintained. Great service from staff: doorman, bellhop, and front desk staff all provided excellent customer service. Open, breezy, calming atmosphere. Rooms were large, nice bathroom, walk out balcony. Great location for stroll on River Walk. Close proximity to good restaurants and the Aquarium. Yes, I plan to stay here on my next trip to Tampa.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AZyoung
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

Good hotel and a good stay while attending business convention with HQ at the hotel. Good Marriott quality and it should be for the price. Nice scenic location on the water with a nice outside deck to enjoy a beverage in the evening. Nice balcony overlooking the downtown skyline as well. Downtown Tampa is basically a no nothing area with few restaurants nearby. Publix within walking distance was a plus. Restaurant in the hotel was a "we gotcha trapped" rip-off for breakfast ($20+ for corned beef hash and eggs.)
When I first checked in I was assigned a room adjacent to the elevator bank (6 of them in this large hotel) and was able to be moved immediately away from the perpetual noise. Other than that, the bed was comfortable and I enjoyed the deck and my room balcony.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and the ice machine!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business