“Complete hotel”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #17 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Spacious lobby is comfortable, not stuffy. Nice bar inside and seating outside on the waterfront. Our suite was comfortable and quite large, with balconies complete with tables and chairs. There is no door between bedroom and sink/vanity area of bathroom. Tub/toilet area could use a little attention to detail... cracked caulk, debris in corners, etc. But overall, a comfortable and clean room. Staff was helpful and efficient. Our only on-site meal was in the sports bar which had average food, but was a great place to watch the winter Olympics. The trolley stop just across the street makes it easy to get to the Ybor City area of town -- just check the schedule online or ask the concierge. The riverfront park is a nice walking/jogging area just outside the hotel. 10 minute walk to Channelside and Florida Aquarium.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We recently had a wonderful stay at Marriott Waterside Hotel in Tampa recently. This was the 3rd or 4th time I have stayed there, and would definitely return again. I cannot say enough about the great service I received from all of the staff I encountered at the hotel. The “At Your Service” line on the phone was great, and they were always prompt to assist with any requested I had – including changing my room.

The room and bathroom were impeccably clean, as always. The housekeeper left a handwritten note, which was a nice touch. When I had the privacy sign up during cleaning hours, I received a small card under my door notifying me that they attempted service, and I could contact them if I needed service or supplies later in the day – that was a great touch, which I have never found at any other hotel (in fact, at other hotels staff seems “put out” when I have requested towels, etc., so this was very much appreciated).

Location, location, location! This hotel is in the heart of downtown, literally across the street from the convention center, and the trolley stops right out front for a quick ride to Channelside or Ybor City. The parking is expensive, but comparable to other hotels downtown. I’ve seen other reviewer recommend parking yourself in a public lot across the street, but have not tried it yet.

I used the room service and enjoyed a shrimp and pasta dinner, for about $26 – pricy, but average for room service. The meal was delicious, portion was large, and included a basket of 4 rolls (although not noted in the menu). If you’re looking for a lower cost meal you can walk downstairs and pick something up yourself from Champions, and even get it “to go” and take it back to your room.

This was the first hotel I have found to offer liquid hand soap for in-room use, which reflected their attention to detail. It seems like a simple (logical) idea, but strangely most hotels still offer the mini bars of soap.

The hotel does not include breakfast, but if you are a member you may be able to enjoy the concierge lounge which offers a light breakfast (pastries, bagels, fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, juice, coffee). This was a great perk, and the lounge included comfortable seating inside and a small balcony to eat outside.

The lobby offers free Wi-Fi and an abundance of seating to work, socialize or browse the web. There are even small areas with tables, booth-type seats and several plugs to charge your gadgets while sitting in the lobby. There is also a lobby bar, pool bar/restaurant, and restaurant in the back of the first floor, in addition to the Champions sports bar/restaurant in the front of the lobby. You can take the trolley to other local restaurants, or even try the one in the lobby of the hotel across the street.

The bedding in the rooms was unbelievably comfortable, and included plenty of pillows. The bedding is reason enough to stay there! I would suggest that you request a room with a balcony, so you can enjoy the water or city views and Tampa weather – it’s worth the extra money.

Cons (minor)/Areas for Improvement:

The rooms include a wine cooler, but no refrigerator. The wine cooler only goes down to 50 degrees, so you cannot store any food inside. It does keep water and cans of soda relatively cool, however I think most guests nowadays expect a refrigerator in their rooms (and would utilize it much more than a wine cooler).

The hotel used to provide complementary Bath & Body Works products in the rooms, but have switched to a different brand. The new one is fine, but the BBW was much better.

The sliding doors to the balconies are VERY difficult to open. I had to use 2 hands and it was still difficult to maneuver. If you are in a wheelchair, be aware that the sliding door includes a high bottom, which you could not slide over with a wheelchair – even in the disabled rooms.
They had a towel rack inside the shower, which took up unnecessary shower space, and caused the towels there to get wet. There was plenty of room in the bathroom, and they should have moved the rack elsewhere.

I highly recommend this hotel – especially for those attending something at the convention center across the street, or planning on spending time at the hotel relaxing or working over their visit. As I said before, the amazingly comfortable beds are reason enough to stay. The nightly rates are high (which is why I only gave 4 stars for value), but given the location and amenities it is understandable. If you are concerned about the cost and will only be using the hotel to sleep and not enjoying the amenities offered, you might want to opt for a less expensive hotel in the area (especially if you do not qualify for the free breakfast in the concierge lounge).

We did not utilize or ask about any kids activities, so to be fair I gave it a fully 5 stars.They have a great pool, but I do not know what they offer for children.

Room Tip: I would recommend that you ensure you do not receive a room near the exterior air conditioner. I was...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Carl Fuller, Jr. was a great host! He was proactive in working with the many visitors and had a nice comment for everyone.The lounge itself was quite nice with a great view of the city. The food at breakfast was Marriott standard, that is to say very good with a wide variety of choices. We are big fans of the chain and have been very happy with the Marriotts and JW Marriotts we've stayed at.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our vacation in Tampa. Great location and great comfort. Staff was professional, helpful and friendly. The lobby, restaurant and bar where very spacious. The valet was fast and easy. A 10 minute prior phone call and the car was always ready. Our room was on the 26 floor w/water views and where you could see for miles and miles. The gentleman in the breakfast lounge was friendly and always replenished the food and kept the lounge neat and clean. We would certainly return to this hotel when in Tampa.

Room Tip: This was our first visit to this hotel but the high floor, river view we had was fantastic! Not one...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel is situated near the Port of Tampa (Carnival Cruise Line sails out of here) and Tampa General Hospital. It is also steps away from the convention center. A group of 3 of us stayed here during Gasparilla Race weekend with attendance at all the races at 30,000; with that said this hotel never seemed crowded. It had its good points and bad. It has a beautiful lobby/bar area and a fantastic patio facing the water with comfortable high top tables and patio seating with big screen TV's, and great fireplaces. We had great weather and could have sat on the patio all night long. Two restaurants. We only ate at Champions with your usual bar food/beverages and average prices.

This hotel has a rooftop pool area that is just fantastic! Great pool, view, hot tub, bar area and a pool attendant that would set up your chairs and get you your towels; great service. The poolside loungers are in need of replacement as they are looking pretty worn.

The rooms were nicely decorated but you only had a choice of 1 king or 2 doubles; double beds are a bit small if you are sharing the bed with another adult in my opinion. We were offered to upgrade to a water view room for an additional 25.00 per night and we took it; ended up on the 25th floor with a beautiful view.

We were within walking distance to Channelside (although this area has gone down hill and doesn't offer nearly the number of restaurants as it used to), and a trolley that you can get on for 5.00 per day.

My only complaints about this hotel: We asked for a wake up call and never got it. Our room was made up but the comforter to one of the beds was left in the corner in a crumpled up pile and the parking fee is way too high. We were already paying upwards of 200.00 per night for this hotel, the 25.00 per day (plus tax) to valet park is ridiculous; we will definitely find another place to park next visit. If you want internet access you have to pay 9.99 per day.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a water view room - well worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was our second trip to the Tampa Mariott Waterside--a business-related trip for my husband. The best thing about this hotel is the spacious, comfortable common areas which includes an outdoor bar/dining area that is right on the waterway. There is also a great rooftop pool with plenty of poolside space for enjoying the sun. The rooms are typical convention hotel rooms that are adequate on space, clean but definitely not glamorous or memorable. But the views from the water-view rooms are amazing and every day we could watch the boat traffic including large cruise ships coming in and out. Service was a definite plus and I would like to mention one person who made this more than a "convention hotel" and that was Joyce in the concierge lounge. She definitely made evening cocktails and appetizers special with her smile and gracious service. Can't beat the location for proximity to the convention center and being able to enjoy the Tampa River Walk, which is right at the Mariott's doorstep, is a definite advantage.

Room Tip: Request water view room
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My group had a conference here and I brought my wife for a winter get away. The property is situated by sports areas and the conference center on the water. Very clean and professional, friendly staff. Used valet parking for my rental car and they did a great job. Fast and courteous valets. Check in was great, again friendly and helpful staff. We were on the 15th floor. The room was spacious and very clean. The only complaint would be the mattress had a plash pad top separate from the mattress that moved around and was a little irritating. That is minor though. My wife used the spa and enjoyed the pedicure and massage. It was great because it gave her something to do while I was in meetings. She enjoyed the pool area and waterfront bar area with outdoor seating. It was very comfortable and semi-private for relaxing. The facility had good meeting rooms and layout for the conference. The sports bar and restaurant were good. We ate off property mainly though. Overall it was a very clean facility with friendly helpful staff. I would recommend for a getaway or business meeting spot.

Room Tip: The Riverwalk area is easy to navigate and there is a lot around the area. Get out and explore. Ther...