“Excellent Conference Hotel”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #18 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed here for a conference and was quite impressed. Very nice waterfront location and very efficient check in. Conference rooms and public areas are top notch. Excellent staff all around. Enjoyed The sports bar for dinner and drinks. Rooms nicely equipped and I had a balcony which afforded amazing sunsets each night I was there. I made sure I was in my room each night at sunset as this time of day is truly amazing for the views. Nice pool area with bar and food ordering options. Also enjoyed a walk each day along the waterfront.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

If you need to be in Downtown Tampa, this is definitely one of the nicest hotels in the area. Check-in process was a breeze, front desk staff very attentive. Rooms are nicely appointed many with waterviews of Harbour Island, Davis Island & beyond.

I wouldn't recommend eating at the hotel unless you absolutely have to- it's very expensive and lackluster (especially the Champions restaurant) I was disappointed that their Italian concept was no longer open. But brunch if ordered off the menu and made to order was quite nice.

The pool is located on the 3rd floor, it's a lovely pool but the pool chairs are not the most comfortable nor newest. But still a nice spot to catch some sun. I'd recommend this hotel if you're looking to stay in downtown Tampa- very convenient to Tampa Convention Center, UT, Channelside, Cruise Port etc.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to stay! The hotel is centrally located and the staff is amazing. My checkin was seamless and my view over the marina was awesome. There are nice places to eat within walking distance of the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel ! ! !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a conference. I have been disappointed in Marriott hotels recently. They have decided to go the cheap route - fewer towels in room, no water in "gold status" customer's rooms, fewer toiletries, etc. This is surprising because when we visit other hotels that we're not gold status (Hilton properties) we are greeted very well with water, coupons for food/drinks and the rooms are well supplied with shampoo, towels, hand cream, etc. On the positive side the concierge lounge at the Tampa Marriott was very nice. There was a tasty breakfast every morning and appetizers and desserts in the evening. Carl Fuller took very good care of us in the morning!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Tampa Marriott Waterside many times over the past year. My son is a freshman at The University of Tampa which is right across the Hillsborough River and we find this Marriott the nicest hotel in the area. We always get great service and the newly updated lobby and bar is beautiful. You won't find this lively atmosphere in any of the other downtown hotels. We also love the tropical outdoor pool that also has a bar to enjoy cocktails any time of day.

I would like to thank Ricardo Arce for the birthday gift of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries - it made my day!!

I highly recommend the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel for your next stay in downtown Tampa.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I am not accustomed to city driving. There must have been several major event going on because even the vallets were scrambling.
Check in was painless and our rooms were ready immediately.
The view from our room was of the river. The power plant of in the distance distracted me from the beauty.

The pool area was crowded & situated on the third floor. It was again beautiful but we didn't sit there long.

The on-site restaurant was pricey and nothing spectacular. Breakfast would have cost $80+for for people if we hadn't had the breakfast vouchers that saved us half. The servers were average, over worked and under attentive. The highlight of the breakfast buffet was the fresh berries and made to order omelets.

It was a very nice hotel with lots of amenities, it just wasnt a stand out resort. I would stay here again but it's not my go to place for the Tampa area.

In a side note, since traffic was so terrible, we requested the hotel Hire a taxi for us. Dumesle Rene was our driver. He was spot on the best part of our stay. as soon as we climbed into his Ford Flex he handed us a business card with a personal number on it. When ever we needed him, He was there in just a few minutes.
He was friendly and a very good driver. I was able to relax and let him take us around town. He charged a flat rate for each destination anywhere we wanted to go in Tampa. I think we spent $60 for the entire night which we calculated to only be about $20 more than we would have paid in parking ourselves and we saved headaches and stress. I highly recommend this guy. He works for DC limo service inc.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Baysinger
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We traveled here for the annual Gasparilla Distance Classic in Feb 2014. We were really excited being that we came last year (stayed at the nearby Westin) and had a great time. I remember then, walking through the hotel, how grand it looked and thinking maybe we should give this a shot next time.

Pros: The sheer size and beauty of this hotel is impressive. Being right next to the water and Harbour Island made for excellent views. Also, the common areas of the hotel were big, clean, modern, and decorated very well. The workout facility was a good size and the roof-top pool was big and serene. The best part is the location being right downtown...across the street from the convention center, Tampa Bay Times Forum, the main street-car station, and within walking distance to Channelside. Being that Gasparilla's Expo, start, finish, and post-race party were right there, location was perfect!

Cons: First off, we booked a king bed waterview room; I called several hours before and confirmed and we got there pretty much at check-in. However, when we arrived, we were told they only had a handicap accessible (waterview w/a balcony) or 2 double beds w/a waterview. We ended up having to go to the front desk 3 times before we got the room we booked. The employees were nice and professional, but the way they spoke seemed "tricky" and almost like our best interest was not in mind. After inquiring on how all of a sudden now they have a room we booked available (on 3rd try), the response was that she changed things so that someone who booked a king bed, but no waterview (and got upgraded for no reason) now went to us. Really! Why did we have to fight for a room we booked? Check-in is the first encounter when staying at a hotel and it left a bad taste to start. We were right next to the elevators, which we heard all day everyday (at this point we just took what we could get). Also, our toilet stopped working and had to be fixed and the shower/tub kept backing up and filling with water. The rooms do not match the common areas. They were very clean, but average. Bathrooms were small with little to no storage. There is no in-room safe, microwave, or small fridge. The bed was the best part and we did sleep great the entire stay.

PARKING = HORRIBLE!! This is a valet-only hotel and for this reason alone we will not stay here again. Being that this hotel is downtown, you have to pay for parking everywhere. This hotel is definitely mainly suited for the business traveler and not families or leisure. The city parking garage across the street is $10 (or more) per day depending on what time you enter. If you enter before 6pm and leave the next day, you will pay more! At least both the Westin and Embassy Suites (across the street) have their own parking, which I would pay for, but the Marriott has no such option.

Conclusion: Hotel (common areas) is great. View, location, and service is great. Rooms are average and below expectations and parking is horrible. Next time it is back to the Westin or maybe we will give Embassy Suites a try! I gave it 3 stars considering the price paid. Would give it 3.5 if I could.

Room Tip: Do not get a room next to the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the Tampa Marriott Waterside and for your post on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear of our inability to initially place you in your desired room type. I also extend an apology that we were not able to meet your expectations in terms of room amenities/upkeep as well as our valet parking service. Please feel free to reach out directly to provide me with more specific feedback so that I may further follow up with our team. I may be reached at bill.heitzig@marriott.com. Thank you for your business.