La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Fairgrounds - Casino
Ranked #107 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Uncomfortable”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Don't get me wrong I understand this is no Hilton, you get what you pay for, staff excellent friendly and very responsive to any issues that may arise. The room seemed dingy and dirty though, it had a ton of flyers from the same restaurant indicating the cleaning lady hadn't been in that particular room in a while, a ton of cigarette ash in the window another indication she came and did a “quick clean”, and the room had a smell :/ not sure if it's the carpet because the carpet did look horrible. I was very uncomfortable and felt like I might itch if I laid down LOL! And I've traveled all over and stayed in high and low end. I ended up staying because it was 1am and my husband and I were exhausted and the Holiday Inn next door was full, but had we got there on another circumstance... Oh no ma'am I would've definitely not stayed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was very disappointed. The check in was bad. I was told that my reservation had been cancelled in June. I gave the lady my confirmation number and told her that I did not cancel. She acted very abrupt with me and made me feel very uncomfortable. For many minutes she fumbled on the computer. We did get cards to go to the room. When we entered the room it smelled like cigarettes and animals. We were so tired and assumed that we would not get anything resolved due to the cold attitude of the front desk. Also, the AC was really loud. I took a sleeping pill to counteract that problem. The pool was nice and I talked to a businessman that had complained about people laying down in the hallway. He told me he had to walk over them. I would have really liked to have been told that this hotel allows smoking and dogs. We saw people that had an excess of 5 dogs in their room. The people staying in room 236 had a few small yapping dogs. I like dogs but not when they are keeping me awake. Lastly, when we(party of 3) came back to the room the second day. The key would ot work. My daughter who is 11 told me the same mean lady asked her what we did to break the key. My daughter replied nothing, we just tried to open the door. Also, There was only 1 towel in the bathroom. There were 3 of us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank 176faithm
Howard Beach, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hotel was clean, and in a great location. Staff was very nice, room was good and the price was reasonable.. Will go there again. What else can I say. Breakfast was excellent. I got a discount with Triple AAA card and that was a plus.

Room Tip: First floor convenient. Close to breakfast room and car.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thomson, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I needed a place to stay for one night on our way down to Marco Island. Hotels were limited due to a concert in town, and the La Quinta had a room available. We paid a total of 94.00 for the night, but I later found a coupon in a Florida coupon book for $59 and on Expedia for 79. A fair price would be between $60-70. Let me explain:
Pros: new flat screen TV with movie channels, friendly personnel at front desk, location is near concerts and casino, sinks and mirror are separate from shower/toilet allowing one to put on makeup and fix hair while others shower. Bed is nice and comfortable if you like a harder mattress with soft pillow top. The room has a small refrigerator and microwave; a LIMITED continental breakfast is included in price. It was also quiet. We never used the pool, but did see it , for it is in a fenced area IN FRONT of the hotel. The parking area separates the hotel from the pool, so it is not private and very "public", almost feeling detached from the hotel. However, it did appear to be clean and well maintained.
CONS: Although we were in a nonsmoking room, our room (321) smelled like old wet cigarettes mixed with a musky smell. We actually bought some Fabreeze and sprayed it just to get by for the night. The carpet was wrinkled in one area and appeared stained. I literally hated the thought of walking on it barefooted. The furniture was old and chipped on the edges. No corner chair as the hote'l's pictures show . Just a large empty corner. The room appeared clean. I didn't find mold or dirty towels as others have stated; however, when I went to plug in my phone charger behind the dresser, I found an XL black jersey that had obviously fallen back there from the previous occupants and not discovered by housekeeping . Bathroom is VERY small and outdated . Plastic-like shower curtain and very little water pressure. You had to hold the toilet handle down for 10-12 seconds for it to flush all the way. The bathroom door was cracked and cut unevenly at the bottom.
In summary, this hotel might be OK for construction crews needing a place to rest when working out of town or a group of college kids on a limited budget coming to a concert for the night. I suggest booking on an online site than booking directly with La Quinta. Again, LaQuinta was higher, even though I specifically asked for their best available rate. As I stated in my opening description, you won't be disappointed if you know exactly what you're paying for . I have pictures to support my viewpoint and rating., but will need to upload them. Whether it's pricey or not is relative to one's expectations at a price. I felt that $94 was too high for a room with the attributes stated above, but others may feel it's fair for a 2 star hotel. You be the judge before you decide to book.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel was great. Had to stay for a graduation located on the fairgrounds. Hotel was walking distance. Overall everything was good. Breakfast could have been better not much to chose from but would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo