Super 8 Tampa U.S.F. Near Busch Gardens Downtown
Sailport Waterfront Suites(Tampa)
US$185
US$168
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We place reservation online for non smoking room, they give us smoking, sheets with yellow stains, key problem to get in, smell cigarets, bed don't even looks like queen looks like full bed and we ask for one king or two queen on it. So for us was lil but bad experience cuz you pay for a excellents services but this time wasn't what we want. Is excellent area close to everything but if they work more on services could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Anna R
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Booked in expecting a typical "Super 8" breakfast. This was terrible! Only a few cheap pre-packaged pastries and coffee with fake powdered whitener. Went out for breakfast. Room smelled stale. Beverage machine out of order for 3 days. The only reason I didn't go elsewhere was because I had prepaid for 3 nights. Very poor place to stay! Good place to skip!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
1  Thank Fred J
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I don't normally write reviews of anything, but feel that one for this hotel stay is warranted.

We were traveling down to Tampa to hop on a cruise and wanted to arrive the day before. We had looked at numerous hotel/motel options online, before selecting this motel.
We thought this would be a very convenient location for us, which it was. We also chose it, because it said that it was part of the Wyndham Hotel Properties, which we're familiar with. Wyndham typically has good, clean properties. We've always enjoyed Wyndham properties. We're even Wyndham Resort time share owners. I had no idea that Super 8 motels were part of their properties, and I'm really puzzled now, as to why that is!

This Super 8 left much to be desired. I'd never stayed in a Super 8 before, and mind you, with the name Super 8, I wasn't expecting the Ritz or the Hilton, but it did have the Wyndham family of properties mentioned on their site, so I thought it would be ok.

After I set up my reservation online, I called the following day to reconfirm that it had been received, and that it was ok. After a bit of a delay, the person who had answered the phone, said that it was there and fine. However, when we were checking in, the clerk on duty said he couldn't find the reservation anywhere, yada, yada, and when I told him that I had called the day before to reconfirm the reservation, and was told it was fine, he got a little agitated & frustrated. Lots of loud "huffing". After about 5 minutes, he finally said he found it. Bad filing system?

The room was large enough, and on first glance looked all right. But when I actually started experiencing it, saw that the room was not in the best of condition. The wall mounted lamps, all had worn out, stained lampshades and all of their frames were rusted. They looked absolutely nasty & dirty. Before I let myself lie on the bed, I pulled the covers back to make sure there weren't any bedbugs in the sheets (I do this everywhere I go, not just here), and the bedding was fine. No bedbugs. The carpet, when I walked on it, was sticky to the touch of my feet-and I had socks on. I don't think those carpets had been cleaned in ages! They were old and need either a really good cleaning or to be replaced altogether. Very creepy feeling.

Although some of the furnishings in the room were quite outdated and had numerous dings & scratches, I don't fret about that. I can live with that. That doesn't send a good message to the guests, but I can deal with it. No big issue. After all, it's only a Super 8. When I went into the bathroom, not only did I have a problem getting the door to stay shut, but I saw that the shower rod had come loose from the wall on both ends, and was hanging down and held up by only a tiny part of the screw sticking out from the wall. Not very safe. And the tub/shower surrounds were cracked, and had yellowed over obviously many years, and just didn't look very clean or inviting. I opted not to take a shower in there, and would wait until I got onto the ship the following day.
The so-called continental breakfast was pretty much a joke. I wasn't expecting much, but all there was, were some individually packaged cheap pastries, that were obviously purchased from the gas station next door. And there was coffee, which was actually pretty good. That's it. That's all there was. I wouldn't advertise it as a breakfast of any kind. They should just say, complimentary coffee and a danish. The young lady who checked us out of the hotel, was very upbeat & friendly. She definitely had the best personality of anyone there. We enjoyed her.

The hotel is quite dated and in need of major repairs and cleaning. The bed was pretty comfortable, so I got a decent night sleep, the heat & A/C worked fine, but I couldn't wait to get out of there and hop in a shower, elsewhere, and feel clean again.
The location was convenient, (easy on & off the highway) although, being right next to I-275, it was noisy. And there were numerous times during the day & night, when loud police sirens went whizzing by.

It won't say it was the worst hotel I'd ever been in, but it sure was disappointing, particularly since it was listed as being a part of the Wyndham family of hotels. I'm definitely going to talk to them about that!
Would I stay here again. Nope.
Would I recommend this motel to anyone else. Nope.
I'm glad I was able to get an AARP discount, because if I had to pay the full price, I'd really have been disappointed.

I hate having to write a review like this, but if the owners don't hear this, then the property will just continue to deteriorate and won't ever get better.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, ask for a room closer to the back side (furthest away from the highway), rather than facing the highway. It won't offer the best view, but the other side of the hotel is Noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron G
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is the WORST property we have ever stayed in , the smell was so bad in the first floor room we were moved at 11:00 pm to a second floor unit (only slightly better) . I was truly concerned for our health ! Overall this property should be closed down !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family