“Better options...do not recommend”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Veteran's Expressway
Ranked #86 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel two nights because it was close to my meeting venue. I tried checking out the next day, but I was told that I could not because it was after 2 pm and the computer would charge me. I understand not being able to check out but the lady was so mean and rude about it. The ladies at the front desk are so rude and do nothing to help the guests. The rooms are dark and the furniture needs to be replaced. The rooms smell terrible. Two of my coworkers stayed there and they also said their room smelled and looked creepy. The location is okay. The hotel is close to Starbucks, a movie theater, and two bars/restaurants. The breakfast is typical holiday inn breakfast. I will not be returning to this hotel ever. If you must stay in this area there is a Hampton Inn like 2 mins down the street.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Karmiin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Veteran's Expressway, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Karmiin,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, room condition and the furniture condition. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

My expectations for a HI Express are low. However, this hotel truly exceeded my expectations. Its location is great. It is located in a nice, safe area of Tampa. The hotel appears to be relatively new. The room was very nice and clean. It was quite spacious as well. The staff was very nice and efficient It was also very reasonably priced. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank david L
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed for a night for an event. Check in was quick and friendly,and the first floor was nice and cool, but upon stepping out on the 4th floor we were hit with 88 degrees. NEVER have I been subjected to no air conditioning in the common areas of a hotel. This is Florida in July, and in my opinion, is inexcusable. From some of the other guests and comments here, this seems to be the norm. The rooms were cooled by window AC units, but these weren't strong enough to dehumidifiy the sapping moisture invading from the hall.

That said, the rooms were good size. Ours had bunk beds, a nice touch, but other than two flimsy (one broken) chairs, nothing to sit on but the bed. TV in the kids area didn't work. Bed was in need of replacement. Three towels for a 4 person room.

For me, I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you stay anywhere other than the first floor, expect to be sweaty.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Veteran's Expressway, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear dissector,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am glad that you have not encountered any problems at check in. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your comments about the AC unit has been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Janice A

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Horrible experience. Phones did not work when I called for directions and the desk person told me "it was the rain." My response? This is Florida. Seriously? Had to call Hotwire for directions as the reservations line gave me the WRONG directions after their property had not answered the p[hone. Wi Fi very slow but the kicker was the dangling light bulb (energy efficient) from the floor lamp in the room. EEK. My friend was so impressed that she booked a room at the nearest military base for the next night. oh- one caveat. awesome bed...........

Room Tip: don't bring anything that requires connecting
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Veteran's Expressway, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear doratallahassee,

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

I have always found Holiday Inn Express properties to be a little hit-or-miss. Some are nice. Some are a little dumpy. This particular property fits into the "nice" category. The lobby and breakfast areas are clean and relatively modern. Breakfast foods varied slightly each day. The rooms were fine - the only downside is that the air conditioning is a floor box unit which is a little noisier and less easy to control from thermostat systems. That said, I had no issue with the noise level or room temperature. Please note that it does not appear that hallways (at least in 4th floor) are air conditioned. This doesn't impact the rooms but the hallway was hot. Staff was friendly, helpful and bantered pleasantly with regular guests. All in all, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Kerfeld
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Large, clean rooms. Friendly staff and great accommodations. Outdoor pool,
breakfast, flat screen tvs, and plenty of space to move around. Close to Tampa airport and plenty of restaurants. Stay here and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Carp417
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Definately above average experiance. The front desk staff was very helpful and sweet. I asked if there was a store nearby that I could buy a phone charger as I had left mine at home and they found a box of them that had been left behind by forgetful travelers like me. They fixed me right up and were genuinely happy to help me. As a priority club member I was offered a snack and a drink from the little store they had in the lobby at no charge. The room was clean and modern. Decent resturants were close by and it all was pleasent and easy during my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business