“Great food prices”

Wat Mongkolratanaram Thai Temple
Ranked #30 of 2,384 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Groups, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great food prices”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I completely disagree with previous review complaining about portion of the soup. I'm a guy that eats more than most and the thai soup more than fills me up. $6 for lunch is not expensive. The food here is really good, have a temple and market as well as various performances. To have this in the states is great. The spring rolls(not fried) are fantastic. Yes, there are a lot of people that go, but for the price and uniqueness of the spot and good food it's a great place to visit.

3 Thank c4greene

Tampa, Florida
“Simply fascinating”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic time meeting up with friends here for a Sunday lunch. The food wasn't really something I cared for too much, but everyone else enjoyed the meal.

Visited September 2013
Tampa, Florida
“wonderful Sunday market + festivals”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I just came back from celebrating the fun Songkran Festival there, all while taking in the delicious Sunday market (which happens weekly).

Water splashing, meditation, gorgeous River front, picnic tables, a myriad of Thai dishes served... LOVE it! We couchsurfers meet up there quite often, it's a great place to take out-of-towners or locals wishing to spend a different, relaxing Sunday afternoon.

The 4 out of 5 stars is for the restaurant part. Why you may ask? Some of the curries are not as great as the ones I've had at other Thai restaurants in Tampa. Case in point? The Mussamman curry. Extremely bland, couldn't even taste the peanuts.. BUT! everything else (for the most part) is absolutely delicious and EXTREMELY cheap by Tampa standards. So go! :)

MUST NOTE: CASH ONLY! and get there by 9 AM or else you'll be stuck in long lines

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank LaBoricua87
West Deptford, New Jersey
“Great day and wonderful experience!!!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We had a great day at the Thai Temple. My friends and I went on a Sunday to experience the Thai food at the market. Thanks to Tripadvisor, we knew to go early for easy parking and shorter food lines. I also got the tip to try the sticky rice and mangoes. What a great tip it was! Everyone in my group of six tried it and loved it. I also bought the sweet bean pie. I should have purchased two! By the time it made the rounds with my friends, there was little left for me. Oh we'll, it was a great day with wonderful food. I'm sure we'll be back!!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Gail T
USA
“Awesome - do NOT pass this place up!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Yes, it may not seem like a place that you would want to eat in as you are driving through the neighborhood getting to it, but don't let that fool you. The food is awesome.

Only open on Sunday mornings/early afternoons, this is a destination and you need to prepare accordingly - unless you enjoy long lines and trying desperately to find a seat.

We got there around 9:45 a.m. and had no problem with parking, finding multiple open picnic tables and only having a 5 - 7 minute noodle wait. However, by 10:30 a.m., it was a completely different story. You may want to bring extra napkins with you and possibly some sort of tupperware in case you can't finish your noodles.

The food was awesome! The recent reviews are spot on regarding the food.

The noodles come like this:
Small bowl $6
Large bowl $8
You can get beef or pork, and the noodle sizes are angel hair (skinniest), medium, and wide.

When you get to the noodle lady, she reminded me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. You gotta know what you want because the line is long and they gotta keep things moving quickly. So, know what you want before you get there and order promptly. It goes like this, "Small bowl, wide noodle, beef" - now keep moving.

After you get the bowl of noodles, there is a condiment station - go easy on those spices. Load up on napkins as you may need extras to wipe off the picnic table. Here you can grab additional plasticware for other dishes you may try.

In addition to the noodles, we tried the sticky rice with mango (delicious), a skewer of grilled beef (reminded me kinda of beef jerky), grilled chicken wings (they were okay), and a chicken curry potato pastry puff (really good).

Everything seems to be priced from $3 - $5, with the noodle bowls at $6 & $8. And, bring cash, they don't take anything but that.

I was too full to try anything else, but those fried bananas looked really good.

Here's a tip: if you go in the spring, then beware of the oak trees which cover most of the property, as they drop pollen constantly. I did see a few picnic tables where oak trees were not directly over top of them, this would be better to sit in the spring so you don't get pollen in your food.

After you eat, you can visit the garden area where plants are for sale - to the left when facing the river. Most orchids are $10 - $12 and are beautiful. They also sell herbs for $5 - $7.

Overall, this place is better than a restaurant, it's a destination. I can't wait to go back. This time I'm starving myself the day before and going to load up on a big bowl of noodles and going to get those bananas!!

• Visited March 2014