“Very nice new Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
alberta
“Very nice new Holiday Inn”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We started our trip in Naples where my husband had business meetings. While in Naples we stayed in a pricey little hotel (Inn on Fifth) that this Holiday Inn blew right out of the water. Sure the Inn in Naples was in a nicer spot for walking and shopping but the room here was much nicer.

When I booked our pkg. thru Busch gardens all that was available were rooms with 2 queen beds. When we were checking in I asked if they had rooms available with 1 king bed? She said sure if we didn't mind the ground floor. Our room was just a few doors from the front desk with a very nice pool view. We never did use the pool as we were gone all day.

The room was spacious, nice flat screen T.V., the bed comfy and the bathroom had all sorts of amenities. There was no hallway noise on the 2 nights we were here.

The complimentry breakfast had hot omelettes, sausage patties and assorted cereals, pastries, fruits and juices, the second morning there was scrambled eggs and bacon for the hot part. Very friendly staff in charge of keeping everything stocked.

In the evening they provide a self serve ice cream treat by the front desk.

The first night we walked down the road about 5 minutes to a Ruby Tuesday for something to eat. It was okay. The next night we went directly across the street to a little restaurant with maybe a dozen tables. They seemed busier with take out orders than diners, it was a Sunday night. They had a combo sushi and thai menu. The staff was great, when we debated on what to order they had great suggestions and thought we should probably share our main entree after the sushi we ordered for our appy. That was plenty of food for us and surprising in that we would have probably ordered too much and spent more if not for our waiter.

There is a big theatre, I think 20 screens, within a couple minutes walk here too.

So even though this Holiday Inn is kinda off the main drag and surrounded by trees and in a quiet area there is still a few things you can walk to and stretch your legs. Oh and we enjoyed Busch gardens too, approx. 15 minute drive away.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albertabev

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Just returned from a 4 day stay at this property. Reviews are on target; the property is outstanding for a Holiday Inn Express. Very clean and well appointed, above average breakfast, staff very very accommodating! Location is great--lovely upscale area of Tampa, yet just moments to the interstate. Recommendation from Ann at front desk for Italian restaurant led us to Polo's where we enjoyed outstanding Italian food. Thanks Holiday Inn Express for your hospitality!

• Liked — cleanliness and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
Florida/North Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I served as the event coordinator for our school's 13th Annual Stingaree Jamboree. We were 143 strong and Todd Patrick and Ann Patz and their entire staff treated us as if we were traveling royalty! The rooms were magnificant, our hospitality suite was totally cleaned each evening, we were always greeted throughout the hotel by apparently very happy and helpful staff . Many of our group who have attended past Jamborees commented that just when we thought last year was the best - this year topped it. We thank each and every one of you at the Holiday Inn Express at Bruce B. Downs - look out - we may be coming back next year! On behalf of all Stingarees - thank you, thank you.
Laura Miller

• Liked — Spotless facilities - wonderful staff
  • Disliked — Can't think of a dang thing!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed three nights at this hotel, which we booked many months ago due to its convenient location for Busch Gardens and the positive reviews posted on this site. Just prior to our stay we saw the review regarding cleanliness posted in September which concerned us. So I contacted the hotel and got a personal assurance from the general manager that the issue had been caused by a plumbing problem and that all affected areas had been redecorated. During our stay we saw no problem areas at all.
When we arrived we were most impressed by the overall appearance of the place, ease of parking and convenient location of shops and dining. Also free beer, water and ice cream on arrival were most welcome.
The room was spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean. Throughout our stay the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The breakfast choice is excellent and served in a very pleasant dining lounge. There are free computer / internet services, with a printer and free WiFi is available throughout the hotel.
My wife and I stay at many hotels for business at a variety of price levels. This hotel in our opinion sets the standard for hotels of this type and I only wish that HI Express hotels in the UK, which I use extensively, were are well appointed and equipped. Should we wish to stay in New Tampa again, which is likely, we would consider this hotel our first choice.
Overall highly recommended.

• Liked — Cleanliness, facilities, staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 September 2008

This hotel definitely provides first class- five star service. The staff is superior to most hotels that I stay in. Breakfast was good. One notch above what is generally provided at other Holiday Inns. I was scared to eat the food though because my room was so dirty-- I thought maybe the kitchen would be dirty too. I stayed in mid-August just passing through Tampa and location was convenient to I-75. I was given room 312 (I believe) and it was terrible. Upon arrival, it smelled terrible. (Damp, moldy) Someone came and sprayed some freshener which did nothing to help the damp moldy smell. There were loose hairs all over the bathroom floor and tub. There was a revolting stain on the bedskirt closest to the bathroom. (dried vommit) and the desk chair had a huge stain of ??????? and I could not use it. You could not walk on the carpet without your shoes. Did I just get a bad room? I am not that picky. The entire staff was so friendly and nice. I can't believe housekeeping could be so bad. It is obvious that housekeeping is lacking-- as these things could not have gone un-noticed. I was planning on staying 3 nights, but left after 1. I will add pictures of the filth.

• Liked — Staff (breakfast and front desk)
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank goo0325
dl_nthg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, 30 September 2008
Dear Valued Guest:

First of all, thank you for your very kind words about our staff. They work so hard everyday to provide the type of service that you described. So, when we read in your review that "This hotel definitely provides first class- five star service", it was truly music to our ears. It made us all feel soooo good!!.

However, when we read about the situation in your room, our hearts sank! The items you mentioned are completely unacceptable to us and we feel terribly. Unfortunately, our hotel suffered a burst pipe a few days prior to your stay. That resulted in flooding on all of the floors of the hotel. Our staff literally worked around the clock to deal with that unfortunate situation. The stains and odors in your room were the result of this flooding. While every room in the affected areas of the hotel were supposed to have been set in our computers as "out-of-order" (not open to rent), your room obviously "slipped through the cracks". It was a terrible oversight on our part and we feel very badly. Just a few days after your stay your room was thoroughly treated to address all of the items you mentioned.

Based on your your very positive experience with our staff, we hope that you will give us another chance to make good on our promise of spotless accommodations. So please give me a call at the hotel so I can arrange for a free multi-day stay the next time you are in town or if you prefer a refund of your recent stay.

Best Regards,
Kathy Z.
(on behalf of our entire staff)
Worcestershire
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Having stayed in many Holiday inns I have to say this is the best service experienced in any hotel within the group to date. Free beer/water offered at check in for each member of the family, Free ice creams in the evening. Excellent twin bedded rooms, excellent free breakfast. Free internet..

Reasonable priced restaraunts and a multi screen cinema within walking distance. 20 minutes drive to Busch Gardens / Water park.

The place prides itself on it's service and has to be held as an example for other to follow.

• Liked — Service quality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank petebWorcestershire
Yorkville, IL
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed in the 2 bedroom family suite and we really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spotless and very spacious. The room was decorated in a way that made us feel at home. All of the decorations and pictures were very tasteful, especially the old photogragh of the little boy - that was such a nice touch. And the furniture and beds were very comfortable - we slept great!

In addition to the accomodatons, the service was perfect from the second we walked in. The complimentary bottle of beer or water when we arrived was great. And the complimentary ice cream during the evenings was very nice after a hot summer day in Florida. I can't say enough about the customer service from the front desk staff. They were so friendly, nice, and helpful. They gave our kids a free toy every day and made all of us smile. They really made our stay even more enjoyable.

The hotel also has a nice pool, a fitness center, and a very good complimetary breakfast. The location of the hotel worked well for us, too. We were close to Busch Gardens and not too far from the beaches. We will stay here whenever we are in Tampa

• Liked — The people!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family