Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Kissimmee, Florida
“awesome staff and hotel”
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Thanks Kathy (general manager) and your staff .this was a great stay at this location .my family ( The Patterson) and i will come back for a stay again next time in town . this is one of the best hotels around I've seen , very clean, way above average , not far all the activities in Tampa and beaches ..i would recommend..definitely

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 30 March 2009

To start, our check-in guy was fabulous. When he found out we were celebrating a birthday, he pulled out all the stops: an upgrade to a studio suite, coupons for the movie theater next door, and her favorite restaurant. Thanks, Richie, you rock!

This HI is top-rated in Fla. and highly-rated on tripadvisor for many good reasons, so let me give you a few:

1) Location is right off I-75 in a new neighborhood, with just about any restaurant, store, entertainment or service (doctor, dentist, haircut) that you could possibly want or need. By the way, Busch Gardens is about 15 minutes away, but, trust me, it's better to stay a little ways from town.
2) Police presence-- cop car always out front and officers eating breakfast in the mornings. I had no worries about my vehicle or personal safety.
3) Added-value amenities: Complimentary ice-cream novelties at night and hot/cold breakfast offerings in the morning.
4) Hotel is new and well-kept. It looks clean, inside and out, and has nice landscaping. Housekeeping does a wonderful job and offers many optional goodies like mouthwash and shower caps, etc.

A few nit-picky things the hotel could improve on, in my opinion:
1) Pool water needs to be a little warmer and the pool towels ran out (but I didn't ask for more-- so, to be fair, the staff didn't have the chance to respond).
2) I wish the hotel was entirely smoke-free (zero smoking rooms). We had a non-smoking room and never smelled smoke at all, but it is an allergy as well as safety concern. (I'm not fond of unnecessary fire. <smile>)

P.S. I forgot to take pictures of the hotel, only got Busch Gardens and restaurant shots, but I will try to add them if we're able to return!

P.P.S. Trying to decide between a studio and regular room? Well, you get more space (probably about 10 feet more lengthwise) with a small couch and coffee table, plus a bar sink, microwave and dorm-size fridge (big enough for a gallon of milk, oj, and fruit).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank pricelinejunkie
Watervliet, NY
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Stayed two nights during a Florida trip and was VERY pleased with the room and overall hotel. Cleanliness is my priority when staying somewhere and I was extremely happy with that aspect of this hotel. It was also very updated/new and provided some extra perks, such as the morning breakfast (very fresh), morning paper, nice pool area for just relaxing and taking in the nice view and a friendly, complimentary offer of water/beer upon checking in (which, after a long....or short trip, was a nice "hello."). We were able to get upgraded to a two bedroom (did I mention how great the beds were) and that was just awesome. Both bedrooms had their own flat screens, plus another in the living room area. There was even a nice little kitchenette area. It was like apartment/condo living, not just a hotel. Also, the location was great and made for easy access to many of the places in the area, including dining, shopping and beaching. The staff was very attentive and professional........ and you just knew that their top priority was you. I will definitely go back there again and highly recommend for anyone. A lot of hotels could learn a few good pointers from this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
alberta
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We started our trip in Naples where my husband had business meetings. While in Naples we stayed in a pricey little hotel (Inn on Fifth) that this Holiday Inn blew right out of the water. Sure the Inn in Naples was in a nicer spot for walking and shopping but the room here was much nicer.

When I booked our pkg. thru Busch gardens all that was available were rooms with 2 queen beds. When we were checking in I asked if they had rooms available with 1 king bed? She said sure if we didn't mind the ground floor. Our room was just a few doors from the front desk with a very nice pool view. We never did use the pool as we were gone all day.

The room was spacious, nice flat screen T.V., the bed comfy and the bathroom had all sorts of amenities. There was no hallway noise on the 2 nights we were here.

The complimentry breakfast had hot omelettes, sausage patties and assorted cereals, pastries, fruits and juices, the second morning there was scrambled eggs and bacon for the hot part. Very friendly staff in charge of keeping everything stocked.

In the evening they provide a self serve ice cream treat by the front desk.

The first night we walked down the road about 5 minutes to a Ruby Tuesday for something to eat. It was okay. The next night we went directly across the street to a little restaurant with maybe a dozen tables. They seemed busier with take out orders than diners, it was a Sunday night. They had a combo sushi and thai menu. The staff was great, when we debated on what to order they had great suggestions and thought we should probably share our main entree after the sushi we ordered for our appy. That was plenty of food for us and surprising in that we would have probably ordered too much and spent more if not for our waiter.

There is a big theatre, I think 20 screens, within a couple minutes walk here too.

So even though this Holiday Inn is kinda off the main drag and surrounded by trees and in a quiet area there is still a few things you can walk to and stretch your legs. Oh and we enjoyed Busch gardens too, approx. 15 minute drive away.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albertabev
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Just returned from a 4 day stay at this property. Reviews are on target; the property is outstanding for a Holiday Inn Express. Very clean and well appointed, above average breakfast, staff very very accommodating! Location is great--lovely upscale area of Tampa, yet just moments to the interstate. Recommendation from Ann at front desk for Italian restaurant led us to Polo's where we enjoyed outstanding Italian food. Thanks Holiday Inn Express for your hospitality!

• Liked — cleanliness and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
Florida/North Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I served as the event coordinator for our school's 13th Annual Stingaree Jamboree. We were 143 strong and Todd Patrick and Ann Patz and their entire staff treated us as if we were traveling royalty! The rooms were magnificant, our hospitality suite was totally cleaned each evening, we were always greeted throughout the hotel by apparently very happy and helpful staff . Many of our group who have attended past Jamborees commented that just when we thought last year was the best - this year topped it. We thank each and every one of you at the Holiday Inn Express at Bruce B. Downs - look out - we may be coming back next year! On behalf of all Stingarees - thank you, thank you.
Laura Miller

• Liked — Spotless facilities - wonderful staff
  • Disliked — Can't think of a dang thing!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed three nights at this hotel, which we booked many months ago due to its convenient location for Busch Gardens and the positive reviews posted on this site. Just prior to our stay we saw the review regarding cleanliness posted in September which concerned us. So I contacted the hotel and got a personal assurance from the general manager that the issue had been caused by a plumbing problem and that all affected areas had been redecorated. During our stay we saw no problem areas at all.
When we arrived we were most impressed by the overall appearance of the place, ease of parking and convenient location of shops and dining. Also free beer, water and ice cream on arrival were most welcome.
The room was spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean. Throughout our stay the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The breakfast choice is excellent and served in a very pleasant dining lounge. There are free computer / internet services, with a printer and free WiFi is available throughout the hotel.
My wife and I stay at many hotels for business at a variety of price levels. This hotel in our opinion sets the standard for hotels of this type and I only wish that HI Express hotels in the UK, which I use extensively, were are well appointed and equipped. Should we wish to stay in New Tampa again, which is likely, we would consider this hotel our first choice.
Overall highly recommended.

• Liked — Cleanliness, facilities, staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family