“Rude hotel staff - okay casino”

Seminole Hard Rock Hotel Tampa
Ranked #36 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Massachusetts
“Rude hotel staff - okay casino”
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Our recent long weekend trip to the Tampa area landed us at this hotel and casino due to poor weather conditions. The evening prior we called for reservations and were guaranteed a "spa king" room. Upon arrival, not only were we not given a "spa king" room (told us they were sold out), we were told the lower category room aka "deluxe king" (which we were put in) were sold out as well, and the only available room was a handicap accessible. After requesting to speak to the manager, the "spa king" rooms were, in fact, not sold out and could be reserved for an additional $100 per night. I then requested if we could AT LEAST be given a non-handicap accessible room and amazingly, they weren't sold out as we were previously told. We finally got to our room and attempted to enjoy the rest of our evening at the casino. I must say though, our "donation" to the Seminole tribe was MUCH LESS than we originally intended due to the rudeness of the hotel staff. Our only complaint about the casino is that there were no roulette tables!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amanda80blue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Minneapolis
Reviewed 31 January 2010

My husband and I like to play slots and we have played in several different states. We were traveling through Tampa and decided to stop, which was a serious mistake. I have never been in a casino that took my money as fast. The most amazing part is that on a Friday morning the place was full. I don't know if Floridians have a lot of extra money or there aren't any other casino's within a few hundred miles or what. They didn't even have the mercy to give you back a little every now and then. I would feel smarter if I had put $100 into a Coke machine that I knew was empty.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ElaineMMinneapolis
Tampa
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I have been in the customer service business for more than thirty years. I have visited the Hard Rock Tampa on numerous occasions, It seems to me that with each visit the customer service gets worse. The cocktail waitreses,bartenders and managers seem to be unaware of how to provide proper service.

I guess they judge an individual by how they look and are wearing to determine if the client is a big spender or not. bUT THEN AGAIN IF YOU ARE PAYING GARBAGE FOR Donot take my word it! Just visit your own web-sites and read your reviews.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank double7
Sarasota FL
Reviewed 1 January 2010

The rooms are nice. Food is good at the buffet and very good at the high end steak house-Council Oak. After that, it's all DOWNHILL. This is a non regulated casino by the state of Florida. Guidelines are set by the Indian Tribal Casino. A joke!!! What this means is that they can do whatever they want to relieve you of your money. I have never seen such tight slot machines anywhere in the US. Winners are rare and perhaps non-existent. Casino is smoky and noisy. I am a blackjack player and they changed the rules several months ago where the dealer hits soft 17 at all the tables except at the $100 minimum bet pit. Being totally unregulated, there is no assurance that they are giving the BJ player full decks of cards to play against. All they have to do is remove several 10 value cards and aces and the player has as much chance of winning at Blackjack as the slot player has in winning in their super tight slot machines! Being unregulated, the Seminoles have been literally given a licence to STEAL. There is a crying need for state regulation as in Nevada and New Jersey otherwise the Seminoles with their numerous casinos throughout Florida will end up with all your money in their pockets. Perhaps this is the Indian revenge against the white man for taking their tribal lands in the 1800's. To top it all, they have the nerve to charge $5 for a drink at the table games and slots. If you are a gambler, RUN do not walk from this casino as you have no chance for a fair game. Go to Vegas, Atlantic City or anywhere else but here!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
19 Thank dragonboy88
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 31 December 2009

I have to say that I was prepared for the worst with this hotel. However, when I arrived I found the service pleasant and hotel to be above average. A couple things....The speakers underwater in the hotel pool are a nice touch, but the pool is way too small. This is a casino, so guess what folks.....with casinos come smoke. If you are one of those people who smell one cigarette and get upset, do not stay here. The lobby, although pretty well ventilated, still smells a bit like smoke. The casino was fine, nothing compared to vegas, but better than expected. The room was nice, the bathroom was a little small, but nicely appointed. I am not a fan of the sliiding door in the bathroom. The beds are very comfortable, but the tv needs to be updated. All in all, if you are able to get a good rate and you need to get in a gambling fix or go to tampa for a concert, Hard Rock is not a bad choice....but don't be expecting some sort of fancy resort.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank ufrc75
Seminole, Florida
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We stayed on Christmas Day in room 623. It overlooked the pool and was a great location. We just live across the bay but if you are drinking - whatever you pay for a room is a lot less than the alternative. The rooms were great and the bed was the most comfortable of all time. The machines suck and take all your money - give very little in return. I go to Vegas about 3 times a year and this is NOT Vegas - but it is what it is and its all we have in Tampa. Go to enjoy yourself and for entertainment - drink and eat. Don't expect to win money and you will have a great time.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DKVogel0810
tampa
Reviewed 22 November 2009

My wife and I have spent our last 8 vacations in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand,which has always been first class.We are players club members and have had our rooms compted our last 6 visits.We had rooms compted again this weekend in Vegas,but couldn't get flights out ,so decided to go to the Tampa Hard Rock.What a Joke..we were shocked to have to pay for our drinks while playing their slots,which are free in Vegas.We had lost close to $1000.00 just on slots before winning back $800.,not to mention over $100.00 in drinks.We stopped at the player's club and asked how many points we were awarded,another shock.After placing almost $1000.00 in their slots,I was told they reward $5.00 for every 2000 points.I had $2.50 in points.Our last visit to MGM,they gave us 2 tickets to KA' at $165.00 per ticket for 1500 points.Tampa is a BIG JOKE..We will never return

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple