“Perfect Business Trip”

Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Perfect Business Trip”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I travel every week for work and I was lucky enough to get a rate at this hotel within my company's per diem so I went for it. I stayed on the concierge level and it was so quiet and unbelievably decorated. The colors, textures and fabrics all throughout this hotel are so up my alley. Beautiful bright blues, reds, yellows, greens but not so much so that it is overwhelming. Never saw a dirty dish or a stain on anything anywhere in the hotel and I was there for 3 days. Comfortable beds, soft pillows, fluffy duvet. I ate in the restaurant in the lobby all 3 nights, Pelagia, and enjoyed every last bite of every single thing I ate and every last sip of everything I drank. Eclectic Italian/Mediteranean restaurant, beautiful presentations, wonderful wine list. Every single staff member in the hotel and restaurant was polite and friendly, the young woman who checked me in let me borrow $5 because I wanted to tip the valet and their ATM was temporarily down. The ATM being down for a few minutes is the one and only negative thing I have to say about this stay. I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to come back to the Tampa area. I just hope I can get a rate within my per diem, again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Equestrian
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review! We always appreciate hearing positive comments about our staff and the services they provide to our guests, and I'm delighted that you enjoyed Pelagia Trattoria, our award winning restaurant. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Turkish first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 12 October 2011

my children ( 21 and 20 ) ended our week plus summer trip with a couple nights in tampa. we had stayed at the renaissance 6 years ago and were familiar with the area. it was a good couple of nights and the location can not be beat as far as the shopping and dinning opportunities with in walking range. it is very close to the tampa airport as well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sophie s
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your return visit to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel! As you stated, we are fortunate that our location is convenient to the airport and is ideally located adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street with its upscale retail stores, food court, full service restaurants, sports bars, a wine bar and a martini bar with nightly entertainment. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to once again welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I love the area of the hotel, it is located adjacent to the International Plaza which is full of great shopping and restaurant options. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms need a little facelift, Renaissance properties are normally spunky and different in decor and this one was no different but the furniture, carpet and decor could use a little updating. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. I tend to seek out more newer properties when traveling so I'm not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. As you stated, we are ideally located adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street with upscale retail stores, food court, full service restaurants, sports bars, a wine bar and a martini bar. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the services and amenities provided by the hotel, but was very disappointed that you found the guest room to be outdated. Although we are 7 years old, we take great pride in the overall appearance of the hotel and have a superb maintenance process in place that spruces up public space as well as guest rooms when needed. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!
harrisburg
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Arrived at 3:30, and was told that no rooms were ready, as they had allowed a large group to check out late that day - I guess at the expense of those who were checking in at a reasonable time that day. 45 minutes later, I was handed a key in the lobby by an individual who gave me a completely insincere apology - I felt like an annoyance the way I was treated.
Arrived in my room to find large clumps of hair in the bathroom sink, completely disgusting, obviously the room had a very cursory cleaning done, I'm wondering if they even changed the sheets at his point! Would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing stay at the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel. We always strive to provide top notch services and amenities and it is very discouraging when we fall short of that goal. What you experienced is not typical of the warm and hospitable environment our associates extend to all of our guests, and the condition of your room was certainly not up to our high quality standards. I would like to ask that you contact me directly at 813/877-9200 to discuss your visit in greater detail.

Nina
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Good location if you like to shop as it's by the International Plaza. Free shuttle service to and from airport as well.

Friend had bad experience with a receptionist who wasn't patient about amending our reservation and decided to hangup the phone on her. Whilst there the front office staff just seem a bit indifferent to us. Barely any smiles - they seem to be just there to do their shift. Room wasn't stocked up on glassware so had to use the stock plastic coffee cups for everything. No wine and cheese platter on arrival despite being on the reservation. Bins outside the hotel and reception toilet bins were full to the brim of rubbish but weren't cleared for hours despite receptionists and bellboys not being busy at all (I smoke a lot and come down to the entrance like every hour). Uncomfortable large square pillows and tiny rectangle ones made for uncomfortable sleeping in the evening.

For the price we paid it wasn't a great experience so wont be coming back.

• Stayed September 2011
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. I was disappointed to hear that you had a less than enjoyable stay. We take great pride in our staff and services, and it is very disheartening when we fall short of providing an excellent experience to our guests. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate staff members and will be used during training sessions in order to prevent a reoccurence of the issues you mentioned. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves on a future visit.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We wanted to stay within walking distance to night spots. It was great.

Very clean and nice hotel. The staff is top notch here.

Pellagia ...great restaurant onsite. One of the best in Tampa.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carbon4life
Thank you for your review! As you stated, our location is ideally located adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street with its upscale retail stores, full service restaurants, sports bars, a wine bar and a martini bar with nightly entertainment. And I was delighted that you enjoyed our award winning restaurant, Pelagia Trattoria. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This hotel is adjacent to the International mall. You can walk to several upscale shops and restaurants. It is close to the football stadium and the airport. The hotel itself is very nice - spanish decor. The gym is decent. It has elipiticals, treadmills and bikes wtih tv's attached and a set of free weights. This is a great central location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank clubnev
Thank you for the great review! As you stated, our location is only one mile from both Tampa International Airport and Raymond James Stadium and adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street. I'm glad that you were pleased with our newly renovated Fitness Center with its state of the art exercise equipment. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!