“Another great stay at the Renaissance Tampa”

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Selkirk, United Kingdom
“Another great stay at the Renaissance Tampa”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've stayed 3 or 4 times now and am always struck by the helpful and friendly staff. That's always a big plus at any hotel. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. I like the hotel itself, too. Not too big, not too small, close to the shops and restaurants of the International Plaza and conveniently close to the airport.

The hotel and rooms are always immaculately clean. If a 4.5 out of 5 existing I would have marked the hotel down to this. Why? There are two things...
1. There is no safe in the bedroom. This may be a moot point for some but, as a business traveller, I like to lock some things away to make it a bit tougher should someone turn over my room.
2. The gym equipment is a bit dated. Probably even less important for some but I like to use the gym and using equipment that's reasonably current is good.

Anyway, there is no 4.5 out of 5 so I decided to mark it up rather than down. Good job, Renaissance Tampa.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. There are no views available so being high gets you away from whatever noise t...
1 Thank NLJS
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for being a repeat customer and for taking the time to write such a great review! We are delighted that you enjoy the services and amenities provided by the hotel. Please be advised that we are in the proces of completing the installation of in-room safes and currently approximately half of the hotel rooms are equipped. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Turkish first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed here several times in the past, room is always great. Occasionally the social lives of other guests does play a factor and there are alot of weekenders there for a good time. If you get a room away from the elevators, vending and stairwells you should get a good nites sleep, if that's what you are looking for. The ftness center is clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and courteous/helpful. Do not make the mistake of referring to the 'Devil Rays'- I was informed in no uncertain terms by my shuttle driver there is no mention of the 'devil' as regards the baseball team.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevators, vending and stairwell as well as any wedding parties.
1 Thank Daddy-Unit
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay and for your kind words about our staff! As you stated, our location is ideally located adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street with its upscale retail stores, food court, full service restaurants, sports bars, a wine bar and a martini bar. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!
Porto Alegre
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel many times. It's very conveniently located by the best Mall in Tampa. Lots of options for shopping and dinning. Great!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisi12
Thank you for the great review! We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and it never disappoints. it is my go-to place to stay in Tampa. I got in late after giving up trying to find another hotel at which I had a reservation. The front desk found a room for me, even a handicapped room, which I needed, even though I arrived at 9:30 at night. They were so nice, called the other hotel to cancel my reservation. Wonderful front desk staff also made sure I got my valet parking free since I am handicapped and have a handicapped sticker for my car.

The room was spotless, bed so comfy and it was quiet. My room service the next morning was right on time and delicious. The hotel looks so nice. I think it has been "refreshed" since I was there 9 months ago. Looks like new paint in the hallways. The manager of this hotel is amazing because it is always perfect.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the inner courtyard. Pretty view and very quiet.
1 Thank scoobytrips
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review! We’re delighted that we are your hotel of choice when travelling to Tampa and that you are pleased with our services and amenities. Your kind comments will be passed on to our staff. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel on your future visits!
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This has been my second stay the this hotel. Both times have been for a business conference. I have to say, that I have not been disappointed either time. The location is great being right in the heart of International Plaza and all of their shops and restaurants. The staff has also been very friendly and helpful when assistance was needed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to shop and relax!!

1 Thank Mike F
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thanks for the great review! Being a repeat customer, we are delighted that you find our staff accommodating and that you enjoy the services and amenities provided by the hotel. As you stated, our location is ideally located adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street with its upscale retail stores, food court, full service restaurants, sports bars, a wine bar and a martini bar. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed here for one night before a 7-day cruise out of Tampa. Right at the airport, but an unbelievably quiet hotel. Didn't hear any plane noise either in the room, or on the property.

Arrived at the hotel on a Saturday, departed for the cruise on a Sunday.

Picked up at car at the airport, drove to a Yankees game (they lost against Tampa Bay), returned to the hotel and enjoyed a great night's sleep.

If you need a hotel pre or post-cruise, this place is a delight. Cheery staff, first-rate hotel and my 9-year-old and wife certainly enjoyed the hot tub.

Only weird part of our stay was the confused breakfast service. They had set up breakfast on Easter Sunday in the bar and it was confusing as all hell. (I think the normal restaurant was going to be used for a more elaborate lunch/ brunch.)

There were people waiting outside the bar area for a table, but no one seemed to be keeping any sort of a waitlist, even though there were a few tables available for seating.

We sat down and had a highly confused waitress who couldn't seem to get anything right, including dropping off menus, getting beverages or even stopping by to take an order. We were told the cappacinno machine was out of order, but fortunately a more-seasoned and effective waitress was able to sort out the mess and get us our breakfast (and a latte!) (My anecdote certainly doesn't help you decide whether this is a good place to stay, but just wanted to let you know it wasn't all smooth!)

That said it's a great hotel and would thoroughly recommend it for a leisure or business stay. Marriott apparently thinks so too because they recently bumped it up from a category 4 to a category 5!

Enjoy your cruise, if you're taking one, and you can book this hotel knowing you'll be welcomed and get a great night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a runway view if you like watching plane movements.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Frqflier
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review, inspite of the challenges you experienced with breakfast service during Easter Brunch! We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed the services and amenities provided by the hotel. As you stated, our location is convenient to Tampa International Airport, the Cruise Terminal and Steinbrenner Field. We certainly appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel on a future visit to Tampa!
Atlanta
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We chose this location for the start of a Florida vacation because of its proximity to nearby spring training baseball sites. While very close to Tampa International Airport, the windows were thick and blocked all outdoor noise. The bathroom was large and included quality soap and shampoo products. The flat screen TV was large – about 42” and included some channels in HD as well as a peripheral box to allow a laptop or other device to be viewed on screen. The hotel is directly adjacent to the upscale International Shopping Plaza that included several restaurants. There’s outside access to restaurants such as Champps and Cheesecake Factory and inside the mall there are the traditional (and more affordable) food court offerings such as Sbarro and Subway. It’s just a short walk up a flight of stairs to access the mall. The outdoor pool was large and uncrowded during our stay and the hot tub was just the right temp. While there was valet parking, there was also plenty of free parking that was in a portion of the mall parking lot close by. The hotel was quiet and had an upscale feel. The only negative was the $13 daily Internet fee which we opted out of so I can’t offer my usual commentary on the quality of Internet access.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
NinaH066, Guest Relations at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
We are delighted that you chose the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel as the starting point of your vacation and are pleased that you were satisfied with the services and amenities provided. As you stated, we are ideally located adjacent to International Plaza and Bay Street with its upscale retail stores, food court, full service restaurants, sports bars, and a martini bar with nightly entertainment. Thank you for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to the Tampa Bay area!