“The place for a meeting or event”

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel
Ranked #7 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Whitewater
“The place for a meeting or event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Co-located with an up scale shopping mall, this Renaissance manages to get it right. It has the feel of a boutique hotel, while offering the amenities of a larger property. The meal quality and service for larger events is outstanding. If you want to dine off the property the mall offers a number of choices. The staff are well trained and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
AmyF1014, Front Desk Lead at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
We appreciate the great review! It is always a pleasure to hear the staff has gone above and beyond to make your stay so enjoyable. We strive to make our guests feel warm and hospitable and to ensure your stay with us is a great one. Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel for your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

I travel for business frequently and this is my hotel of choice in the Tampa area. It is a beautiful hotel styled in old Cuban style architecture. The decorative tiles and iron doors are a nice touch. The staff are always very happy and helpful.

The issue I have are the rates can be high for last minute travel. I find however if I am able to plan my travel a couple of months in advance then the rates sometimes are feasible for business travel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the great review and the wonderful compliments about the hotel! It is always a pleasure to hear the staff is being happy and helpful to ensure you enjoy your stay with us. We do look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for choosing the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel.
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here for a 2 day insurance conference in early 2013. The hotel itself is very close to the Tamp airport and does have a free shuttle (TIP you have to call to get the shuttle to come).

The hotel itself is clean, has decent dining options, free parking, free wifi, room service, clean rooms and modern facilities. The hotel is smack in the middle of a mall complex, which at first glance is not obvious how to navigate. If you exit the hotel through the main entrance turn right, away from the parking and you will see a large set of steps heading up. At the top is a huge outdoor shopping/dining complex with 10+ bars, pubs and restaurants. Also part of this complex is a large shopping mall with all the common designer brands.

If you are doing business in central Tampa this is a good spot. The lack of a pool and distance from the beach would keep me from coming here for vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Patrick D
AmyF1014, Front Desk Lead at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Thank you for choosing The Renaissance Tampa Hotel for your conference. We certainly appreciate the great review and are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Although you were here for work, being located so close to the Tampa airport and International Plaza is a great bonus! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel in the future!
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed here for just one evening because we were flying out at 6:15 am. The room was very nice, very clean, had super premium bedding. Bathroom was very spacious and spotless. Super premium soaps and lotions. Location was great because the hotel connects to a large upscale mall that includes Cheesecake Factory, Capital Grille, Bar Louis...
Had a few drinks at Bar Louis, then ate a late dinner and headed back to the room.
The only problem I had, and it was a BIG one, was the noisy room air conditioner. It literally kept me awake several times throughout the night. I was sleeping in the bed closest to it, so maybe that made it worse... Really made my 4:00 am wake up call much more painful!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank party-of-5-ny
Thank you for the great review! We apologize for the inconvenience of the noisy air conditioning system and appreciate the compliments you gave the hotel. We are delighted to hear you were able to visit International Plaza and Bay Street on your short stay. Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights for a conference. It is a great location -- close to airport with a free shuttle and next to a mall with lots of restaurant options. The bed was soft and lumpy. The walls are thin--- feel bad for the parents with the crying baby. However, when my tv didn't work, the tech guy was prompt and helpful.

The conference center stunk like sewage and food was less than spectacular. The beautiful court yard is marred by the smokers.

• Stayed April 2013
AmyF1014, Front Desk Lead at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Thank you for the feedback! Here at the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel we strive to make each stay our up most importance. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel 813-877-9200 or email me at Amy. Fowke@renaissancehotels.com. I would love to hear from you and discuss your feedback further. Thank you, Amy Fowke.
La Jolla, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel over 30 nights in the past couple years and unfortunately have since expanded my search to the other aged Marriott hotel on Westshore and even the longer drive downtown in search of something better. Worst part is that this should be my "home" hotel as a Platinum Marriott member, but they are the ONLY one who has ever treated me as just another passing guest (The folks at the Marriott Channelside make the service at the Renaissance look more like a Fairfield).

The location is perfect and I like having the mall to walk around in, but the service is nothing more than adequate. We used to book all guests visiting our company at this hotel as well, but I am now considering Starwood for the very first time only because Tampa is my home base.

Least, but not last... the shower. No pressure and trickling down is the worst way to start any day on the road. If a good shower is important for you to get your day started right... look elsewhere.

I will likely stay here again, but next week I am going to give the Westin a go...

Room Tip: Request an outward facing room that looks toward the bay or stadium... otherwise, close your blinds.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
AmyF1014, Front Desk Lead at Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback! Here at the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel we strive to make each stay our up most importance especially as a Platinum member. Your loyalty is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel 813-877-9200 or email me at Amy. Fowke@renaissancehotels.com. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you and discuss your feedback further. Thank you, Amy Fowke.
Selkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I've stayed at the Renaissance in Tampa a number of times on business but this was a vacation. I stayed with my wife and we used the hotel as a base for travelling around, taking in places like Bradenton, Ellenton, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs etc.

The gym has been slightly improved, which is good. There is now a safe in each room, which is very good. The airport shuttle is extremely useful and proximity to the shopping mall is great. We decided to rent a car for a few days and so the self-parking was great.

As ever, the staff are friendly and helpful.

I really can't find a reason to mark the hotel down further. So decided on a four, some investment is needed to clean up decor and fittings which are just starting to show age. If nothing's by my next visit, it may be a three out of five or worse.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
We appreciate the great review! It is always a pleasure to hear the staff was friendly and helpful and able to assist in making your stay enjoyable. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be shared. We strive to make each stay as warm and hospitable as possible and we are confident that our upcoming improvements won't go unnoticed. Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.