“Plesant Upscale hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Plesant Upscale hotel”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

The Renaissance Tampa Hotel is an newer hotel in the area..
Lobby area is beautiful.
Rooms are comfortable and decorated nicely; bed comfortable. Bathroom clean and had all amenities you would need. The front desk staff was outstanding, willing to help out in any way. There is a free shuttle to the hotel. I would suggest calling the hotel for pick up. The shuttle driver was a delight talking about Tampa, letting me know what is around the airport area and that I made a good choice to stay at this hotel.
There is a business center off the lobby area. Internet is $12.95. I think there is internet service in the lobby ( don’t if it cost if you have your won laptop). Pelagia trattoria restaurant is located in the hotel. It appeared to have won many awards. I did not get a chance to eat there. Hotel has a pool and gym. The club area is on the 8th floor, but was not open the time I was there.
If you want something to do during your stay, there is the Tampa International Mall which is very close to the Renaissance Hotel. It is an upscale newer mall with stores like Neiman Marcus, Ann Taylor to name a few. While at the mall visit the Bay Street Area for additional restaurants like the CheeseCake Factory,etc. A beautiful hotel with poor service is a disappointment for me. I won’t stay there again. I found this airport hotel was beautiful with great service..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Traveling_Lady_2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed 10 January 2011

The Renaissance Tampa provided an excellent stay while we were in Tampa for the Outback Bowl. The hotel is connected to the International Plaza, and Bay Street, a dining/entertainment area with restaurants such as Brio, Cheesecake Factory, Capital Grille, etc. The hotel is in close proximity to Raymond James Stadium, Legends Field, downtown, and Tampa International Airport. The rooms are large, and nicely decorated. This hotel is not, however, a resort with a large pool area and a lot of activities. If you don't need that, then I would definitely recommend this hotel while staying in Tampa.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I planned an all girls pre-bachelorette party and we stayed at this hotel...kind of a mistake. We were placed by the emergency exit on the 6th floor (which I didn't mind) but 30 minutes into our conversation between three of us at 9:00 pm security came to our door to tell us to keep it down :( That was a bummer seeing as though we were far away from other guest. We did turn it down a notch and enjoyed the comfort and beauty this place has to offer. Shares a parking lot with the Int'l Mall which is great for shoppers like me, but that also means the designated parking for the hotel is VERY LIMITED. The location is also really close to the Cheesecake Factory, Brio and Bar Louie...Fun times!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I brought my teenage son so we could Christmas shop at the International Mall. For all practical purposes, this Hotel is NOT a family oriented Hotel. Obviously they do not care about normal people. Just the dollar. The bottle of water already in the room costs 4.50 if you open it and/or drink it. I feel it is a trick to rack up your bill unaware. The internet is 13.00 a day just to connect to. They say you can use the interenet in the lobby for no charge, but you can only access their webpage. another farce. The iron was broken, there was dried toothpaste all over the vanity when we checked in, andthe bed cover had dark spots all over it and it looked like it just came out of a paper sack. (creased and wrinkled). I look for cleanliness when I travel and especially when I pay what I did at this Hotel. Although The housekeepers were very nice, I was afraid to touch anything for fear there would be hidden charges pop up on my folio. Sorry, not for me and i wont come here again. Ill go across the street.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We had very little interaction with the staff, but when we did they were friendly and allowed us to check in early upon request. The rooms were good, comfortable beds, very nice and pretty new looking. I liked the decor. They were extremely quiet, which was great, I slept well.

The only thing I didn't like was having to pay extra for internet. I'd much rather internet be included in the total price than feel like I'm being nickled and dimed. I was upset because on the website when you click to pay for "24 hours" of internet they don't tell you that the 24 hours is from 12pm-12pm, it doesn't just start whenever you click. So I paid at 10m one night thinking it would last until 10am the next morning and nope, SURPRISE! I had to pay again in two hours at midnight. Incredibly annoying and shady policy on that.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Our arrival was immediately tainted... we received an email offering upgrades, including a club level option. We decided to take that upgrade, only to learn that they only run the club lounge Monday-Friday. After speaking to two less than helpful staff members, a manager was able to resolve the issue by comping our breakfasts and upgrading our view. Still no good explanation why we received the incorrect offer in the email though and I believe we wouldn't have received anything, even an apology, if my husband hadn't persisted and spoken to a manager.

Also, we happened to be staying there while a large wedding was occurring. We arrived back to the hotel one evening only to see NO hotel parking available, unless we wanted to pay for valet. The valet said we could simply park in the mall parking lot... I read here that people had been towed for this, so I was reluctant. So, I spoke to the desk staff who assured us there would be no issue. I was uneasy, but agreed. Did I mention that there was an entire gated hotel lot that was being kept empty for whatever reason?

Well, the car was there, but we had to do the same thing the next night also. That morning, we had TWO nasty notes from mall security , one retroactively from the evening before. They took down our tag number, etc. Not a comforting feeling to have our info out there. The hotel staff apologized and said they'd contact mall security about it, but we were checking out, so it wasn't really an issue.

They need to improve parking and not send out irrelevant upgrade offers.

Other wise, the room was nice, but not anything spectacular. The bathroom lighting was very dim for some reason. The common areas were pretty and comfortable.

The hotel's restaurant has a good atmosphere, though we only dined for breakfast. The nutella/banana french toast was awesome, but the buffet, the most expensive option, was pretty sub-par... can you see partially frozen danish? I would have been ticked if I'd paid $17 for it.

I would recommend the hotel mainly because of it's location. International Plaza Mall is fantastic... we walked the mall several times during our stay. There are lots of dining options and great high-end shops.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marrasyn
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed here for the second time in order to go to the football game. having teenagers this was perfect due to the mall being steps away. Both tmes we had a suite which was quite large. This most recent stay, our reservation got messed up (the room type description). i thought i booked a suite and it wasn't. the manager ended up giving us a huge suite with a connecting King room for under a 100.00 per night. This was fantastic! I would highly reccomend this hotel if you like to shop. The mall is excellent, lots of great restaurants and very close to the Bucs stadium. Also, for day trips only about and hour or so from Sarasota and 25 minutes from St Pete beach.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family