“Could be a 5* Hotel with just a little more OOMPH!”

Floridan Palace Hotel
Ranked #96 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Could be a 5* Hotel with just a little more OOMPH!”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights prior to getting on a Cruise ship. This is a gorgeously beautifully renovated hotel with lovely public spaces and very nicely decorated hotel rooms. You actually feel like you are staying in a WWII era hotel. Can't say enough about the attention to detail of the authentic renovations. A must see. The reviews previous to mine mentioned the lack of amenities and that is correct. This would easily be a 5* hotel with more staff to help with luggage, concierge, breakfast available (not necessarily complementary, just available on site),coffee makers in room, an area in lobby with welcome station, etc., the way some of the 5*s do. Our hotel room was strictly standard size, though nicely decorated, but on the directory in the room it was obvious that room sizes greatly vary, so I assume many rooms were more spacious. The bathroom area was spotlessly clean and very attractive. We arrived 2 hours prior to check in and were given a room immediately, even though the hotel was booked solid due to a wedding that night. Our safe was not working and we asked for some assistance 3 times. Told each time someone would be there to take a look, but no one ever came to check. I want to add one more note that the bartender is awesome. He was swamped due to the wedding but managed to serve us our drink and food orders at a table, not the bar. He was gracious and humorous and a real gentleman! Despite the lack of some of the amenities, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I really hope they are successful as The Floridan Palace is a gem in downtown Tampa. Also, good location...you can walk all over the downtown area from the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PAHoney_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I want to start by saying that I don't usually take all negative comments that people make on hotels at face value. Feels like people have an axe to grind sometimes. This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a review and only for the purpose of helping others avoid the issues we experienced and this hotel until things get better maybe.... We ended up at this hotel as a result of a free hotel night we received as a 'bonus' when purchasing a cruise through another website. They sent us a voucher for Priceline to find and reserve our hotel. We were limited to only specific deals on Priceline and not the 'name your own price' experience. Using as much research as I could for the area, the hotels with 3 1/2 star or higher ratings, etc., I felt sure we would end up with one of a few hotels near the water and near the waterfront or near the cruise port. Wrong! We ended up here at the Floridan.

Upon arrival, we find that the only place to park is a run-down looking, ungated, unguarded lot next to the hotel. Doesn't appear to be in the best area of town either, so it never felt as though my car was in a very safe spot. Check-in went fine. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The furnishings and decorations were very nice for what I understood to be a historical building that had been renovated. This is as far as good got ..... We were assigned a room on the 7th floor. When we exited the elevator on that floor, the smell in the hallway was not very nice. Smelled very sour, almost of sewage - sorry, no other way to explain it. We found our room, which had two double beds and seemed fairly small and tight. I realized that I forgot to ask for a king room, so took that issue on myself. I called down to the front desk immediately and apologized for not asking ahead of time. They said they would check availability and call me back. In the meantime, we tried to figure out how to turn on the AC as the room was very humid and hot. It was apparent we weren't doing something right as we were never successful. The clerk called back to advise they had one king room left and they would be glad to give us a new key. Back down to the lobby we went. We asked about the AC and how to turn it on. Apparently, it requires a remote control to operate it as it is located above a doorway. The remote was nowhere to be found in the room. I advised them that they might want to check our first room out for that issue. New room was also on 7th floor. Back up to the same floor with the same smell. Thankfully, the rooms do not have the smell. King bed, MUCH bigger room, very nice furnishings, and a remote for the AC! My husband and I fumbled with the remote for several minutes with no success. The remote lit up, but the unit did not. I called back down to the front desk again. Explained the situation. The clerk confirmed we were doing everything correct and that it sounded as though the unit itself was broken. Again, she was very nice and helpful and offered to move us to yet another room. We were given the key for a 3rd room on the 8th floor. New floor, maybe no smell? No such luck! Same sour, sewage smell. Room was just as nice as the last one and the AC WORKED! Now we are cooking with gas! Not so much.....

After coming back from dinner, my husband went to take a shower. No such luck. NO HOT WATER! I was dying laughing by this point because there was nothing else to do but laugh. He toughed it out and took a cool, tepid shower, just to get clean. I decided to wait until the next day. I climbed into bed to watch TV for a little while. To my horror, I found many short hairs all in one spot in the bed on the fitted sheet!!!! At this point, I was too tired and too over the whole place to do anything else about it. We pulled the top sheet over it and just went to bed.

I was able to get hot water for a shower the next morning after letting the water run for about 30 minutes.

The very best thing I experienced at this hotel was leaving - without a doubt. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone based on my experience or any of the similar experiences I have seen here. I really hated to see this and experience something like this in what was supposed to be a fairly highly rated hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mjfales

Travellers are raving about these Tampa hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014

First let me say that as a native to Tampa I have seen this hotel go from a building with a hole in the roof and pigeons as the only residents back to a gem of a property that has been lovingly restored to its former glory. The building and the restoration is incredible, nothing short of astonishing for what it was. As some of the other reviewers said, the facility is to be enjoyed for the history. However, the shortcomings as a hotel that aspires to be a top facility in the city are hard to overlook. Prices start at $160 which is not bad at all, but for that rate they need to add some minor items. With a few minor tweaks this could be a 5 star hotel. See the remainder of my review for details, as well as the pictures that accompany this review.

The Hotel:
Incredibly beautiful. Nothing short of breathtaking really. The overall property is a perfect example of the glory of these old properties and the great detail in their construction. The lobby is stunning with plenty of stone and wood. The lobby bar and restaurants are nicely decorated. No breakfast in the restaurant, but dinner is wonderful.

Rooms:
SPACIOUS! We stayed in a two bed (full) room with the typical TV, chest, mini fridge (hiding in the chest), and bathroom.
The TV was smaller than it should be for the size of the room, it was a nice flat screen model, but just to small. Channel selection was abysmal with only ESPN and over the air stations. I was frankly surprised that one can order a TV package from the cable company that only has ESPN.

The beds were very comfortable and there was also a nice arm chair. However, there were some odd issues. 1: no comforter. There was a thicker sheet and a thin sheet, but no comforter. There was one of the fuzzy blankets rolled up at the foot of the bed, but not on the bed itself. 2: Also odd was that there was no dust ruffle on the bed, the box spring was exposed. Not a problem, just odd.

Bathroom:
Nice stone work for the sink area. Typical hotel amenities included. Water pressure was fine, however the water did not get as hot as I would like, but it was acceptable.

Parking:
$5 valet parking per night in fenced lot.

Wifi:
I did not use it, but there was free wifi.

Overall this is a nice property that I would not mind staying at again and would recomend. However, for them to take the next step and become the property they would like to be they need to address the above issues.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen Y
atlanta ga
Reviewed 17 February 2014

After reading the reviews, I really wanted to make it work. Stunning, old, historical hotel and beautiful renovations. Deluxe room was extremely spacious with comfy double beds. Front desk and bar tending staff were very pleasant. Again, I really wanted to make it work. However, no staff around to assist with luggage up the stairs, open a door, you have to find your own way. We were only given two towels which seemed rather skimpy. I noticed another guest asking for extra towels at the front desk too. They do not serve breakfast, which is ok, since there are places within a few blocks. They pointed to the coffee service which was a large container on a wobbly looking table that had a few baskets with a few accoutrements and 1 cup laying on the table. Was it used? Who cares! I needed my coffee. I was grateful for my FREE coffee but it was not the level of service a hotel of this quality should offer. Unfortunately, the area right around the hotel is run down with abandoned buildings. Walking two to three blocks puts you into a nice pedestrian walking area with other hotels and near the RiverWalk area. A lot of money was spent to renovate this hotel and it is a beauty. It is just missing the little touches that would really make this hotel special. Would I return? Probably not.

Room Tip: Room 911 was very large, overlooked the top of another building (they cannot control that). Very co...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I read the latest reviews on here. I have to say, people are absolutely stupid. This hotel is beautiful and the staff is perfect. Yes, this is an elegant place. It is not for rednecks expecting $50 a night accommodations and $2 PBRs at the bar. The rooms are there to be enjoyed. They are so beautiful. Why do you need to sit on your fat butt in front on a big flat screen and watch TV? Explore the historic building. Enjoy it! There is no other hotel like it. I would not stay anywhere else in Tampa.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank JuniperJackal
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed on New Year's Eve for one night after travelling to tampa from uk,for a fort nights holiday.we thought it would be nice to have a night here before travelling next day to Sarasota.
The hotel was obviously very busy with New Years party,but no real problems.however the lobby bar was lovely but the drink was pricy,this was the normal price,it was not hiked up for new year,the room was cozy and spacious,but it could have done with tea/coffee making facilities,also no breakfast in the hotel in the morning,which when it had really a lot of guests staying,was not ideal,we went out and found a place within a 5 minute walk which was open for breakfast thank god,as I say nice place but I wouldn't rush back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jimbo057
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel is beautifully restored with elegant but very basic rooms - must have been so charming in the hay days. However at New Year's Eve the hotel revealed a very different story. Our first impression was shattered at reception after we had walked up many stairs - didn't feel particularly welcome & the man on reception had made an error with our booking - only had the four of us booked for 1 night with 1 room - not 2 nights with 2 rooms ! This was sorted but there were no staff to help with luggage so we used the trolley left in the lobby & pushed it to our rooms. The hotel was busy but seemed very short of staff.The next day we went to the Outback Bowl and when we returned housekeeping had emptied the bin & changed towels but not made the beds in our room while the other room was completely untouched.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family