“Hotel with no staff or services”

Floridan Palace Hotel
Ranked #97 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 20 April 2014

If you need a hotel across the street from Tampa federal court, here it is. For any other reason, forget it. Sketchy area, no security, no hotel staff other than one front desk attendant, one bartender, one restaurant greeter and one waitress. There must be a cook in the back. No room service, no ice, no minibars, no bellmen.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Carlos d

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Restored hotel with substandard service. The room was not clean; housekeeping did not clean adequately the entire stay. Front desk did nothing to resolve this issue or the telephone not working. Did not follow up as promised. No extra toilet paper and roll was almost used up. Avoid this place!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Towerbutte
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked this hotel through Priceline's Name Your Own Price option. After inching my bid up over a number of days, this was the first place to bite, and even then, they were only giving me a 40% discount. But that aside, my advice is to be very careful of what officially designates certain star ratings, and to focus on the listed amenities. That said, many of the amenities on their website are simply untrue. These hotel owners have evidently put a lot of money into restoring a historic property only to learn they can't afford the business.

Location: Not great. Downtown Tampa is spotty at best anyway; this hotel is not on the hot spot. It is a few blocks from any convenient business in a less-than-impressive neighborhood.

One-star amenities you will NOT find at this hotel:
A Bible.
A Do Not Disturb sign.
A vending machine
Tourist collateral
A coffeepot in your room
The name of the hotel on the marquee

Two-star amenities you will NOT find at this hotel:
More than one staff person
Central air conditioning (instead some noisy misbehaving ceiling-mounted thing)
A hotel notebook of amenities and local references
A regional tourism magazine
Mini toiletries in the bathroom
Internet service
ATM
Continental breakfast

Three-star amenities you will NOT find at this hotel:
Bellhops/Valets
A restaurant that serves breakfast
Room Service
A gift shop/convenience store
Laundry/dry cleaning/shoeshine service
Concierge service
Pillow choices
Automatic Checkout

Other things I still seriously question:
Ice?
Business Center?
Room safe?

If I am possibly wrong about any of the above (which I would encourage these sites to check through a random site visit) I wouldn't know because none of the usual communications were in place to identify these amenities. Primarily there was no hotel notebook listing and explaining amenities and services. Another example, if there was dry cleaning, there was no hanger with a bag on it in the closet with a list of services and prices. If there was room service, the hotel menu in the room did not indicate that there was, and there was no phone number indicated to call to order room service. I could not find a WiFi signal, nothing was said or provided during check-in and nothing in the room indicated it either. Etc...

I should also mention that room design was a concern. It took me three tries to find a room where the television was opposite the bed and even then it was off to the side. Each room has the same set of fiberboard baroque furniture that is put in the rooms however it will all fit, since the original room layouts were not designed for it. The bed jutted out into the walkway so that I would hit my shins on it. The full-length mirror was squished under a wall sconce so that my head and shoulders weren't in the frame. One of my window panes was painted over during renovation and never cleaned.

I may have seen as many as three other guests in the building while I was there. In general I felt like I was at The Overlook in The Shining; rather grand in an old-timey way that was not to my personal taste - but generally abandoned with no services and creepy feeling.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit. When I had to change rooms, even though I hadn't done an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank silversurfernyny
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We had a nice time here. We only stayed one night. Rooms are big and nicely decorated. It is a historic building so I was not surprised that parts of it were "old". I think that gives it its charm.

The only bad experience was that the AC was not working. As soon as we reported the problem, they came and fixed it right away.

They allowed us to check in early and to check out late. That was very convenient.

We were in town to watch a lightning hockey game and only used the hotel for a place to sleep. We got our reservations on Hotwire.com, so we paid a lower price, which was a good price for what we got. I'm not sure I would pay the regular price.

It was a different experience and I did enjoy the uniqueness of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Beautifully restored hotel with lousy service. When we arrived in a heavy downpour, we were given a room on the 19th floor. None of the guest elevators were working so the guests had to take the service elevator. After checkin time, the room was not ready, no housekeeping there. So we returned to the lobby desk and got a room on the 4th floor. Maintenance got one of the three elevators working (very slow). No coffee machine in the morning and worst of all, no hot water for showers. No extra toilet paper and roll was almost used up. Avoid this place until the service improves.

Room Tip: Avoid higher floors, especially if the elevator is down.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lydia E
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Priceline ranks this hotel as 3-1/2 stars with it comparable to Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt. They truly over exaggerated the star level. The rooms are huge, but the hotel smells and terrible location. Room #1 curtains were on the floor and Room #2 smell like smoke. There is no cable TV. I'm sure Priceline knew this is a Bad Deal and I'm not the first to mention it. The Express Deal hotel listing is very misleading....buyer beware!!!

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was one of Pricelines "Express Hotel" deals, which of course we didn't have much say in. We spent one night here, prior to a cruise from Tampa. I must say our first impression was not a good one. The hotel is in a "sleazy" part of downtown Tampa. We were quite concerned regarding our vehicle, as the parking is about a block from the hotel in an open lot. No fence, etc, but we were assured it was patrolled, however, we noticed no one the two or three times we went to our vehicle. We had reserved a "King" room. This hotel was apparently "upscale" during in it's earlier day that date from the early to mid 1900's. The first hint of things being beautiful was the hotel lobby itself. It is supposedly decorated in the original chandeliers, and decor that was removed prior to the remodeling in 2010 (?). It was very nice.

Our room was elegant with period style decor. Very large room and nicely tile bath. However, the AC did not work in our room, and the only other room was a twin room, which of course we had to accept. We found the staff to be helpful and very professional, and willing to accommodate us due to the bad AC.

One disappointment was when we looked out the window of both rooms. The view was that of abandoned buildings in a downtown area, where blight had obviously taken over. It obviously had been this way for awhile since one of the abandoned buildings was a "Kress" department store. We also saw several "unfortunate" folks camping out in various alcoves of these buildings. Not a pretty sight.

The room had a flat screen TV, but could not really get the cable or dish whatever it is to work. The other amenities were standard in any hotel. One BIG grip for us is that this hotel does not offer coffee in the rooms. If you wanted coffee in the morning you had to take a very slow elevator to the lobby and get your coffee there. Is this not the 21st Century? Why no coffee makers in the rooms?

We ate dinner at the adjacent restaurant. The food was very good, and service was good. There were not that many folks eating there, as the restaurant was an extension of the lobby, and there was apparently a huge wedding going on in one of the reception rooms with overflow into the lobby. Prices in the restaurant were mid range, with good value for your money.

Overall this a a very beautiful, historic hotel, but it's location leaves a lot to be desired. Parking my vehicle in an open lot was a major issue for me. The least that could be done was to put a fence around this place. Priceline rated this hotel in the same category of a Hilton or Marriott. I really cannot agree with this, and consider this hotel to be very over priced. Outside of the beauty and nostalgia associated with this hotel, I cannot recommend it and will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple