“Very Good Food in an Exquisitely Restored Setting”

Floridan Palace Hotel
Ranked #97 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I enjoyed a very nice dining experience in the hotel's dining room just off the lobby. The menu is very good in providing many options, and the food was fresh, well prepared, and nicely presented in this grand dining room. I had a fish selection which was very good. And the martini was excellent!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The warmth of a B&B but the grandeur of a +5 Star luxury hotel. Expertly renovated, but the true attraction is the pleasant, personal service of ALL of the staff....front desk, bartenders, housekeeping, maintenance, etc. Free parking on site just enhances the relaxing, comfortable atmosphere. Only 9 blocks from the convention center and on the edge of the current re-urbanization, this is a place to "bookmark." I have established the Floridan as our preferred corporate lodging. And I found "Kostos" supportive, friendly, patient, and attentive which explains why every single staff member exuded the same caring attitude.

Room Tip: Try to get the mini-suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked one of the penthouse rooms in February for a birthday party in May for my husband. I told "Kostos” (not sure of the spelling) one of the managers I was having a party. He gave me a tour of the room and I indicated there would be enough room for all of the people with the balcony (hint, hint, it was a party which indicates a group of people and the fact I needed the balcony should have prompted some questions).

The day before the party, this man filled our coolers (notice plural meaning 3 very large coolers) with ice so we could chill all of our beverages. He even took the coolers upstairs to the room, in which I he saw all of the tables, chairs, beverages and party supplies. The day of the event "Kostos" stopped people from coming up to the room because we were over the allowed number of people. I was never told there was a max number. He was rude and belligerent in the middle of the lobby, raised voice and aggressive body language. Several incoming guests heard this exchange. He was not going to allow the birthday boy and our daughter to come upstairs to the room; he finally relented when a male friend intervened (maybe he is a sexist, who feels he can bully women).

Of course this is not the end of my bad management story. Our party started at 4 and we were told everyone had to leave at 6 because this man was still upset that I had a party and had not informed anyone (there were several phone calls to the hotel prior to the party and once again he carried the ice upstairs!). This was a 50 year olds party without music (because heaven forbid there is a radio or television that worked). I was forced to move the party to the Sapphire Room and ended up paying for drinks for 30 people so "Kostos" made money on the penthouse and on my bar tab of $700.

I reminded all of our 30 friends (and 4 other rooms were booked that night by friends) that even though the party was successful they were to never frequent the Floridan or any of its restaurants or bars and this only because of "Kostos". What an opportunity this man had to earn business from a group who had never experienced the Floridan Hotel Palace.

It is sad when you have staff, who were all very accommodating, are managed by this person who does not have the professionalism to lower his voice in the middle of his lobby, the ability to seek information when he was the person who booked the room for my husband's party, and the competence or skill to correct issues with paying guests.

Someone mentioned that maybe it is a cultural difference but I believe it is just bad manners!

Room Tip: Very old hotel which was remodeled a few years ago. Cleaning is adequate. Subpar, A/C works in som...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank mishon
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed a whole month and they made it feel like home! The folks at the front desk were always helpful and friendly. The location is central and I was able to walk to yoga, coffee shops and food. The park is very close by and hosts events on the weekends. I generally felt safe outside, even late at night and felt comfortable running alone in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Katie A
Reviewed 20 April 2014

If you need a hotel across the street from Tampa federal court, here it is. For any other reason, forget it. Sketchy area, no security, no hotel staff other than one front desk attendant, one bartender, one restaurant greeter and one waitress. There must be a cook in the back. No room service, no ice, no minibars, no bellmen.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Carlos d
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Restored hotel with substandard service. The room was not clean; housekeeping did not clean adequately the entire stay. Front desk did nothing to resolve this issue or the telephone not working. Did not follow up as promised. No extra toilet paper and roll was almost used up. Avoid this place!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Towerbutte
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked this hotel through Priceline's Name Your Own Price option. After inching my bid up over a number of days, this was the first place to bite, and even then, they were only giving me a 40% discount. But that aside, my advice is to be very careful of what officially designates certain star ratings, and to focus on the listed amenities. That said, many of the amenities on their website are simply untrue. These hotel owners have evidently put a lot of money into restoring a historic property only to learn they can't afford the business.

Location: Not great. Downtown Tampa is spotty at best anyway; this hotel is not on the hot spot. It is a few blocks from any convenient business in a less-than-impressive neighborhood.

One-star amenities you will NOT find at this hotel:
A Bible.
A Do Not Disturb sign.
A vending machine
Tourist collateral
A coffeepot in your room
The name of the hotel on the marquee

Two-star amenities you will NOT find at this hotel:
More than one staff person
Central air conditioning (instead some noisy misbehaving ceiling-mounted thing)
A hotel notebook of amenities and local references
A regional tourism magazine
Mini toiletries in the bathroom
Internet service
ATM
Continental breakfast

Three-star amenities you will NOT find at this hotel:
Bellhops/Valets
A restaurant that serves breakfast
Room Service
A gift shop/convenience store
Laundry/dry cleaning/shoeshine service
Concierge service
Pillow choices
Automatic Checkout

Other things I still seriously question:
Ice?
Business Center?
Room safe?

If I am possibly wrong about any of the above (which I would encourage these sites to check through a random site visit) I wouldn't know because none of the usual communications were in place to identify these amenities. Primarily there was no hotel notebook listing and explaining amenities and services. Another example, if there was dry cleaning, there was no hanger with a bag on it in the closet with a list of services and prices. If there was room service, the hotel menu in the room did not indicate that there was, and there was no phone number indicated to call to order room service. I could not find a WiFi signal, nothing was said or provided during check-in and nothing in the room indicated it either. Etc...

I should also mention that room design was a concern. It took me three tries to find a room where the television was opposite the bed and even then it was off to the side. Each room has the same set of fiberboard baroque furniture that is put in the rooms however it will all fit, since the original room layouts were not designed for it. The bed jutted out into the walkway so that I would hit my shins on it. The full-length mirror was squished under a wall sconce so that my head and shoulders weren't in the frame. One of my window panes was painted over during renovation and never cleaned.

I may have seen as many as three other guests in the building while I was there. In general I felt like I was at The Overlook in The Shining; rather grand in an old-timey way that was not to my personal taste - but generally abandoned with no services and creepy feeling.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit. When I had to change rooms, even though I hadn't done an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo