“Hit & Miss”

Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
“Hit & Miss”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I'm always on the lookout for a new place to dine. Particularly locally owned, non-chain places. We visited the location when it was the Toasted Pheasant and enjoyed that. So one evening while my husband and I were out of town, I took my adult daughter with me to check it out. It appeared to be a very slow night for the bistro. There was only one other couple dining when we arrived. Then it was just the two of us. Then another party came in about the time we were finishing up. The atmosphere is average. Nothing I found especially warm or inviting about the decor. The waiter was friendly and helpful, but didn't appear comfortable in his job. He seemed awkward. We had the garlic mushrooms for an appetizer. Very tasty. The bread with dipping oil was excellent. Things were looking pretty good. I love eggplant dishes, and ordered the Eggplant Parmesan. It was very disappointing. Just no flavor. Very bland. My daughter ordered the wrapped shrimp and ravioli. She felt the same. I love having left-overs for lunch the next day, but found I threw out my left-over eggplant. Just wasn't any good. I often give a place a second change, but somehow, my over-all impression of Manolo's just doesn't have me feeling like I want to try it again. But maybe I will. If I find improvement, I will post an update.

Also, I have to mention the review by internationalfoodlov. I can understand getting to know a server that is great. But your review is misleading in that this restaurant gets 4 stars when you found the food and value poor. No matter how great a server is, I'm afraid I coudn't swallow visiting the restaurant and paying for food I felt was poor. But I suppose that's the fault of the rating system of Trip Advisor.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank tampagal

Tampa, Florida
“New menu, new owner, new look at former location of Toasted Pheasant”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I was sorry to say goodbye to the Toasted Pheasant, but I'm glad to report that Manolo's Bistro is a worthy replacement. My husband and I have visited several times since the transition this summer, and have enjoyed trying different dishes from the Italian/Spanish fusion menu. Some of our recent favorites were Shrimp Diablo, Eggplant Parmesan, Frutti de Mare, and Grilled Mahi. Dinners begin with housemade bread and garlicky olive oil for dipping and a perfectly executed caesar salad. The servers (we have had Michelle and Mike) are knowledgeable, efficient, welcoming and helpful. The wine selection is good, including the house wines. If you have room left after your main course, the housemade Tres Leches cake is delicious. This is a rare chef-owned and operated restaurant, with family recipes made from fresh ingredients - surrounded by a sea of chain restaurants. The interior has been beautifully redecorated, but from outside the place looks closed. Walk up and try the door!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank nandersong
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Michelle was great once again”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We have been coming here since it was toasted pheasant just for Michelle,she is great,friendly and very knowledgeable about food and wine.it's very sad that it's a new restaurant,manolo is not anywhere near as the pheasant,the food is terrible,it tasted old,we will definitely go where ever Michelle is at,she is the best thing that the restaurant has..

1 Thank internationalfoodlov
“Incredibly Delicious!!!!!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Wow! This restaurant is a hidden gem in the Tampa area. It is located in a great spot on Dale Mabry Ave. and has a very quaint and enjoyable atmosphere. We have been a few times already. The food is incredibly delicious and I have enjoyed trying something different each time. The staff is so wonderful as well. They always make us feel special and add extra nice touch to our already wonderful dinner experience. We are looking forward to our next tasty meal at Manolo's!!!
:) Michelle

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Michelle K
“First Time there”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

The restaurant from outside appeared to be closed. Very very dark windows with no lite signage.

Garlic mushroom appetizers and creaser salad, excellent.

Puttenesca was a little dry but tasted excellent

We plan on going back real soon

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Tom B

Been to Manolo's? Share your experiences!