“Whole in the wall?”

Ranked #155 of 2,384 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$18 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Now celebrating 34 smokin' years, this venerable Tampa Bay landmark was purchased by three Air Force buddies in 1980 who met while stationed in Alaska and presumably sought to get as far away from the frozen tundra as possible. In the years since, Skipper's has grown from a small smokehouse takeout operation with a casual Sunday jam to a full-service restaurant and much-loved purveyor of world-class music. The architecture is a smorgasbord of "cracker" and islandy-Key West styles with overturned boats, wooden walkways, large murals dot the landscape while artfully rusted walls contain the sounds of revelry. In the Oyster Bar, a vintage moonshine still hangs over the bar while in the dining room, weathered posters tinted by neon lights add varying hues of color and atmosphere.
Dallas
“Whole in the wall?”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

It looks like a whole in the wall. But it was very good. I will deff go back on my next trip to Tampa. Only thing was it was a little warm in the restaurant. But other then that it was amazing

• Visited August 2014

• Polish first
Tampa, Florida
“happy hour”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Finally had the courage to visit Skipper's Smokehouse, cause on Wednesdays there's great Jamaican music with a live group. However, the Wednesday I went, I thought the Happy Hour was what inspired me the most. It surely did, with $2 draft beer and amazing chicken wings...stood for a while to watch the band and then left, with my chicken wings packed to go (ate for days). I plan to come again, when a Latin performer is featured.

Tampa, Florida
“Watch out for the Rats”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Yes, its Skipper's Smokehouse a Tampa area classic, but what happened!?! The food is horrible, burnt, and all over cooked. What they pass off as grouper seems like some cheap rip off, and tasted like it was several days old. The parking lot in the back is one big mud pit! Seriously, don't park in the back unless you have 4WD and are willing to get muddy. The music venue is cool and the bar is fair priced but with all the trouble I had there I will never go back again!

• Visited August 2014
Lutz, Florida
“Something changed for the worse!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went to Skippers this evening waited almost 1 hour as we watched everyone else who arrived after us get thier food. First out was my wifes deviled crab ball or should I say hockey puck, way over fried and tasted terrible. So we waited some more and finally told the waitress we wanted to move to the bar but apparently she couldn't serve us there so I asked to check out. While we were standing at the counter waiting for our check what looked like the cook came out and he was absolutely filthy then the waitress shows up with our food on a tray in the lobby. Ok we thought we'd go to the bar and eat there being we waited soooo long. Well the food was terrible my blackened grouper tasted like it had been in the refigerator for days (or maybe it was some other fish) the black beans and yellow rice turned out to be white rice with a pile of black beans hiding the white rice. That's the second time we found the food to be below acceptable I think it's fair time we check this one off our list.

1 Thank J-RM09TPA
Miami, Florida
“Key west vibe; Cool funky spot”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Key west vibe, we ate inside. Funky and laid back, very unique place. Variety of customers, both young & old. Would like to go back to check out the bands outside next time! Food was very good. Gator tail, key lime pie, and beer boiled shrimp, and veggie burger were excellent. Decent selection of craft beers. Good service. Cool shirts for sale. Will definitely return!