“Birthday well done”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,435 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: N Manhattan Avenue
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We recently went to Roy's to celebrate a birthday for a girlfriend of ours. I booked on Opentable and didn't think much when it asked if we were celebrating something.
When we arrived the table had some birthday confetti which I didn't expect. They didn't sing any cheesy songs; but made my friend feel super special and treated us to a small app & tasty dessert that was enough to share (it was a rich chocolate).
The food was excellent - from the sushi, to the steak, dessert and cocktails. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Food and service were excellent. This was a birthday dinner and Roy's staff showed genuine congratulations. Photo at table and a special dessert...gratis. Will return.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have eaten at several Roy's on both the mainland and the Hawaiian islands. I have never been disappointed in the food or service. Tonight was no exception. Another wonderful meal - I had Miso Soup and a couple of appetizers/sushi rolls. I was satisfied with the amount of food - sometimes small plates are very small. These were generous portions. I also indulged and tried the Macadamia Nut Tart with vanilla ice cream. It was perfect. I am not a real fan of super sweet desserts. This hit the spot for me. I never hesitate to recommend Roy's. Tonight's meal was another home run for me. (The only downside is one I have experienced before at other locations - the noise level is a bit loud for a quiet dinner. It is the downside of a popular place as well as the open restaurant atmosphere.)

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was our second visit to this location in Tampa. We've also eaten at this restaurant in Hawaii. We actually like the food in Tampa better. The menu's are not the same.

I like how this restaurant is decorated. Modern and warm.

All tables start with a serving of Roy's Edamame which are made with their special recipe. They are delicious. We then split a Cesar Salad which bis served with freshly made & warm croutons. I wish I had gotten a full salad just for the croutons! They are the best I've ever had.

We each got one of the Mixed Plates options, ROY’S TRIO: Hibachi Salmon, Macadamia, Crusted Mahi & Misoyaki Butterfish with steamed sticky rice ($32.95). Each one was delicious and each prepared with its own sauce. I loved them all but the Butterfish was my favorite. On our next trip I think I'll just get the Butterfish.

For dessert I had Blueberry Sorbet. The waiter said it is not made in house but bought from a place that makes it from scratch. I would go back just for the sorbet ($7.95). It had fresh blueberries throughout it and tasted great. There were also fresh blueberries served with it. For me it was the perfect dessert.

Our service was very good but not the best I've ever had. When asked a question our server was great but he did not offer a lot otherwise.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had very high expectations as I entered Roy's Hawaiian Fusion in Tampa. I read the reviews, and on the flight to Florida sat next to a local, originally from Hawaii, who used to be a regular at Roy's original location (when Roy was the chef!), and now frequents the Tampa Roy's. I guess there was so much hype that I was expecting something magical, and it just didn't happen. I had the Chef's Trio of Hibachi Salmon, Macadamia Crusted Mahi & Misoyaki Butterfish. Although the Butterfish was very good, the Salmon was overcooked, and the Mahi had little flavor. The meal in general seemed uninspired, and it's really a shame when there seemed to be so much promise. Is it better than the myriad of other places we could have eaten? Yes. Is the service great? Yes. For these reasons I gave Roy's an overall Very Good. Was it all I expected it to be? Unfortunately, no.

1  Thank Global-track

Been to Roy's? Share your experiences!