“Delicious lunch!!”

Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Tampa, Florida
“Delicious lunch!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Went out for a shopping day and ended up at CDB for lunch! Our server was very friendly and helpful. We split a CDB pizza which was amazing and the CDB chef salad. Wow!! Very delicious. What a great secret in Temple Terrace! The food and the server were excellent and the restaurant was very clean.

• Visited May 2013

Florida
“Nothing Like the Old CDB's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I had not visited CDB's in about twenty years, but we were nearby and decided to try it for lunch. It turned out to be nothing to rave about and the service was very odd.

We sat in the bar, which I don't remember from the past, because we always sat in the larger restaurant area. The bar is very small, narrow, and dark. But, it seemed to accommodate two large parties that were there and still not feel crowded. We sat at a four-top and the waiter took our drink order as soon as we were seated.

He returned with the drinks quickly and took our order. My husband ordered the cheese sticks and a "Hard Hat" sub, which usually comes with a salad or soup, but my husband requested french fries instead. These are an additional cost, not a substitute. I went for the Chicken Fettucini Alfredo, which comes with a side salad or soup and garlic bread. I opted for a salad with blue cheese dressing, which was fresh and good.

The cheese sticks were warm, not hot, when served, and cooled off very quickly. The taste was pretty bland and the tomato sauce in which to dip them was actually a little bitter. It's extremely rare that my husband leaves any cheese sticks on the table, but half were left untouched. He said his sub was good and asked for a box to take one half home.

My fettucini was served with what looked like a whole, poached chicken breast sitting underneath the pasta, which I proceeded to cut into strips. I don't usually have to season this type of sauce in a restaurant, but after a taste I added parmesan from the table shaker, pepper and salt. It was very bland, otherwise, and the chicken had no flavor. The "garlic" bread was not garlicky at all and tasted slightly stale, to be honest. Since the waiter had placed two take-out boxes on the table, I put about half of the fettucini into one to "doctor" at home.

I mentioned that the service was odd. Our waiter never looked either one of us in the eyes and basically plopped things down on our table as he was moving about. He was very polite, but perhaps overwhelmed, being that he appeared to be the only server in that room. I got the feeling that he was tired and anxious for lunchtime to be over.

All in all, we'll probably not be back, as there are plenty of Italian restaurants in the area with better tasting dishes and friendlier wait staff.

• Visited April 2013
Missouri
“Fabulous pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

Was recommended by hotel desk clerk - right on! Two of us split the small margherita so we wouldn't have leftovers. It was just the right size and oh-so-good! Huge basil flavor--fresh basil in every bite. Yummy cheese and crust. Cold beer on tap. Great dinner--thanks for the recommendation.

• Visited April 2013
Tampa, FL
“Has really gone down - avoid it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and hi brother "grew up" eating here on date nights with girlfriends. More recently, my husband would tell me about the Hard Hat Sandwich and we've gone a couple of times with the kids. He said it was a little different (last year) but still good.

We went last night as a family. Four of us walked in, seated by our waitress. One of us went to the restroom. We ordered drinks and looked at the menu while waiting for the other person to come out and decide what they wanted. The waitress came over three times wanting to take our order, even though she knew the fourth person wasn't even at the table yet. When the fourth person arrived, it took her 10 minutes to get back to our table. She was no where to be seen and the place was pretty dead.

We finally ordered. I ordered eggplant parm which came with a salad. My son ordered the fried squid appetizer and fries as a meal. My daughter and husband ordered the Hard Hat. My salad came out quickly and seemed fresh enough. A couple of minutes later my son's squid and fries came out. Then a good 10 minutes later my eggplant came out. My husband and daughter sat for another 10 minutes before getting their sandwiches. We were left with empty glasses and needing to get the attention of any waitperson to get refills. So, the service was horrible.

On to the food. The friend squid was greasy and rubbery. We've had it before and it was light and tender. The diablo sauce had a layer of oil/fat on top. The fries were mediocre. The eggplant was horrible. It is served on a bed of ziti. There was ziti, eggplant, sauce. No sauce on the ziti other than what little bit ran off the eggplant. The eggplant was oil-logged and cold while the sauce was steaming hot. It wasn't edible. The Hard Hat sandwiches were also cold. It was all just awful.

We requested a manager from a waitress who was not ours. She left and about 4 minutes later, our waitress showed up and said that the manager "stepped out". By this time my husband was beyond frustrated and I just wanted to feed the kids and get home as it was getting late. We suggested she call the manager's cell phone. 10 minutes later she came back saying that he was in a meeting (on a Sunday night at 6:45?) and told her that we didn't have to pay for anything we didn't want, to make us what we wanted and that she could get our phone number and share his. We had no desire to sit and wait for another set of meals to come out nor did we have any faith that a second order would be handled properly. Additionally, if all of our meals were bad, why try again?

The waitress left to get paper and pen and provided the manager's cell number. She handed me a pen to write ours down and walked off. We never saw her again so I've no idea if the manager got our number or not.

In my opinion a manager should never leave a restaurant without someone in charge. This is a sign of issues beyond kitchen and wait staff. Most restaurant meetings are during off hours to avoid the restaurant being "unmanned". Who knows where the manager truly was. The waitress was unskilled and clueless as to how to wait tables or attend to the three tables she had to serve. The kitchen crew was unskilled as well, the food quality and preparation lacking in anything positive.

I hate writing a negative review of this place as it holds fond memories for my husband, my brother-in-law and even for our family. But this is not the same as it was, at all.

• Visited March 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Perfect Pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

A friend that went to USF recommended CDB's for pizza. The pizza was superb. Perfect crust not to thick, not to thin. Shock Top and Amber bock are two great beers on tap. We went to the quiet side of the restaurant so we could talk and its was very nice.

Been to CDB Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!