“Great & unique home style sandwiches”

Wright's Gourmet House
Ranked #2 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

This is worth the trip even though Mabry is all torn up. I had the beef martini & my partner had the corn beef and it was excellent. Great local lunch spot!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've never been disappointed in my selections from Wrights. Last week I had their roast beef on pumpernickel and it was outstanding, even the next day when I finished off the left overs.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

One of the best restaurants in Tampa. They have a large selection of sandwiches, salads and desserts. Everything is very fresh. The bread for the sandwiches is some of the best I have ever had. The desserts are to die for and the service is great. I definitely recommend Wrights and will be back.

1  Thank Bigmomma61
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

If you haven't been to Wright's you are missing out. This place is a Tampa institution. Here are some tips to help you...
1- unlike other famous deli's that are more about the name than the food Wright's is all about the food. Deli sandwiches and fabulous desserts are the fare here yet it is anything but standard. Try the turkey or beef martini and you may be hooked for life! All the sandwiches are great and enough to share.
2: save room for dessert or you will be sorry. The cupcakes are mini versions of their amazing cake creations and simply can't be missed.
3: don't overlook the salads etc as these are tasty too
4: BE PREPARED TO WAIT . Especially if you come at lunch time as the line will be out the door but it will still be worth it.
5: parking can be an issue but be sure you do not park in the retail center nearby or you will be towed

Enjoy!

3  Thank thehelpfuldad
Reviewed 13 January 2014

That's a Young Frankenstein quote, for those of you who don't watch good movies.

Maybe the best sandwich place I've been to in Tampa? If not, its one of them. I have to go to all the others again for a quick comparison, but I'm not that hungry at the moment.

My girlfriend, in her genius, found this for us. We arrived at 2PM on a Saturday afternoon, and they were packed, line out the door. Piece of advice - since this place is apparently always busy, call in your order for pick up.

Anyway, she showed me some of the sandwiches on the menu as we were driving up and I almost destroyed her phone by drooling all over it. There were so many I wanted to try, but in the end, I had to go with the cuban since it's apparently a Tampa Tribune 6 time all Tampa cuban sandwich winner.

Look, I don't know if it was the best cuban I ever had, but I've had some sub-par cubans since moving to SW Florida, and some really good ones, and this definitely falls in the really good one ledger. Sandwich was good size, thick, with real pork (not sliced deli meat) and a delicious mustard. Cuban bread was very good, too. They do say it can take 15 minutes, but mine was ready in half that time. Make sure you order it pressed.

I also got a side of cole slaw - also good, though a little too much mayo.

My girlfriend got a veggie sandwich on pumpernickel. This thing was huge - may as well have been 2 sandwiches. She'll tell you about hers in her review, but she really liked it.

The one drawback was the red velvet cupcake. It wasn't good. The cake itself was good enough, but there was some kind of almond butter or extract in the icing which killed it. Maybe you like almonds in your desserts, but I hate nuts in my desserts. I can stand a sprinkling of nuts on a sundae or in a brownie (I won't be happy about it, but I'll eat it). This had some chopped almonds on top, which we removed, but when we bit into the icing, it had a very strong almond taste to it like, again, they used too much extract or something. It killed it for both of us, and there was no need for it. The icing without that along with the cake probably would have been fantastic. Amazing how one wrong ingredient can destroy an otherwise good dish.

Anyway, I'll be back - no doubt about that - there's at least 5 other sandwiches I want to try. However, if I have dessert again, I think I'll stick with the cookies.