“Warm smiles and True Southern Hospitality”

Wright's Gourmet House
Ranked #2 of 2,477 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed 11 April 2014

First and foremost I have to tell you how I began to know and love Wrights - When I was a girl, my mom used to allow me to eat cake for breakfast on special occasions. I didn't know until I was a teen that it was WRIGHT's Cake that I broke in my sweet tooth on. Now, no family occasion is complete without a Wright's Gourmet house Alpine Lace cake.

This year for my birthday my husband had to travel out of town, and was going to miss the famed Wrights cake celebration, but he knew that no family birthday party was complete without it. Without my prompting he called the day ahead and ordered the cake. To have it delivered on my special day so that I could share it with my loved ones. I was awestruck that he remembered how much it meant to me, and then he told me the story of how he placed the order early that Friday morning:

"Talked to the owner of Wright's this morning to order your cake". He touted, as if he had spoken to a true celebrity, which in these parts, Jeff is!

"Really?" I smirked

"Yeah, when I called, it was a little before the store was due to open, and I guess he answered phone. He didn't allude to who he was, but when I placed the cake order, I made him write it down, since I know you spell your name differently than most realize. He jovially replied that, "Since I own the place, I guess I can do that!" That's when I realized it was the owner who had personally taken my call."

Little did I realize at the time, but reflecting back, Jeff made BOTH of us feel special on a day where we struggled because we weren't able to be together.

So the other day, I stopped in to pick up lunch for one of my very best clients. While I was sitting in the chairs I remembered this interaction, and of course the face to face interaction that I have every time I order at the counter, or the live person I place my catering orders when I order for work.

With call centers being located overseas, and all the technology around us, I am amazed and in wonderment of the personal interactions that happen at Wrights on a daily basis. These same skilled craftsmen and women have been bringing delight to my family and many others for decades. Your attention to detail, face to face interactions, and warm southern hospitality will never go out of style.

Jeff and the Wrights team - THANK YOU for making my birthday special every time I turn 29, again, and again and again.

1  Thank muffins_mom_11

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stand in line and walk past a small deil selection of cold items before you approach the sandwich bar where the servers will take your custom order from a nice selection of sandwiches and put them together for you one at a time. Made from scratch soups are also available. I had the quiche of the day and a small scoop of fresh fruit salad..it was delicious. Sandwiches are very large and hearty, easily split between 2 people. As you approach the check out, there a BIG slices of homemade cakes and pies as well as an assortment of pretty cupcakes. Be sure to indulge! Overall this is a landmark local place well worth seeking out!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Jeff the owner is one of a kind, he truly knows his business and if you want a great sandwich this is your place. He has created consistency that is second to none and you can say nothing other than great things about the food and the desserts are super good. Prices are high, you get what you pay for though. I have been dining since the mid 90's at Wrights and will keep going back as long as Jeff is the owner.

1  Thank Lier4lif
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Holy moly this place is amazing. If you love sandwiches and cakes then u will love this place. I got the beef martini and husband got the cuban sandwich. Both were so good. Also they have a variety of cakes and cookies.

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

This is worth the trip even though Mabry is all torn up. I had the beef martini & my partner had the corn beef and it was excellent. Great local lunch spot!