“Not as good as expected”

Thailand Restaurant
Ranked #270 of 2,490 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Several Tampa friends had said that this was the best Thai restaurant in Tampa. Since my spouse loves Thai food, we decided to give it a try.

We started with curry puffs, which were tasty, as was the sauce. Then each of us ordered a soup -- I got my favorite, Thom kah gai, or chicken with coconut milk. Unfortunately, the soup was a weak broth, with very little coconut milk. When I pointed that out to the waitress, she graciously returned it to the kitchen and brought back a much better version. My husband's soup, Thom yum gai, or chicken with lemon grass, was tastier. Our main courses were crispy duck with broccoli and yellow bean sauce and eggplant with basil. While the duck wasn't that crispy, the flavors were fine. The eggplant dish was good, but not the best I've had.

All in all, not the Thai taste treat we expected, but decent food.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I love the eggplant and beef and my family loves the Happy Duck. We have been going to Thailand Restaurant for years and everything you order is always fresh and wonderfully presented. We love this place so much we get take out all the time. If you like your food to have flavor, you will love this place. The perfect amount of spices and herb that dance on your palate. The prices are so reasonable. I highly recommend trying Thailand on South Dale Mabry.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

I discovered this restaurant not long after I moved to Tampa, about 30 years ago. It is simple in design, but the food is great and the employees are very friendly! Everything on the menu is wonderful and they will happily prepare it to your “Heat” tolerance (mild to “Thailand resident” (five alarm fire!)).

Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stopped in this restaurant on the way to McDill AFB and it was a delightful surprise. I am biased because I eat in Thai restaurants whenever I can. This was not the best but was very good. The selections for lunch specials were not as large as I would have hoped but I had a very nice masaman curry. The decor was nice and the wait staff were efficient. The price was okay but it would have been a bargain if it were the dinner price.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Recommended by my Brother who live within a few minutes of this location. Took my Mom and Niece for dinner. Started with the spring rolls and naem sohd (salad) both excellent.
My Mom had the shrimp and squid in a spicy sauce and my Niece had the mixed veggies with chicken and both were very happy with their choice. I had the paid Thai chicken which was great. The service was very good and overall a wonderful dinner with family.