“Lucky to find this place on our last day in Tampa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #127 of 2,356 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$8 - US$39
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Shells has been serving the Tampa Bay Area Great Casual Seafood for the past 30 years. We search near and far to bring you finest and freshest quality seafood at Dockside prices daily. All of our seafood is prepared fresh to order by our Seafood Experts and served in a casual friendly atmosphere that will impress your family and friends without depressing your wallet. At Shells our motto is what you eat is more important than what you wear!
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lucky to find this place on our last day in Tampa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We were waiting around, wanting to get lunch before we left for our flight back north. Wife wanted to eat seafood, so I checked online and found this place. Price was right, good for 2 kids, and luckily food was also really good. We had shrimp more than anything else that day we visited, but other things looked pretty good too. The kids had fried shrimp and I had a shrimp pasta dish. All the shrimp were deveined and were fresh. We also had the crab cake appetizer, which were a bit small, but still yummy. The kids got the shark attack drink, which you should get if you have kids... It's quite amusing.

Would come back again if we are back in Tampa.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank TravelDadEJC

Palmetto, Florida
“The new and improved Shells”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I hadn't been to Shells in 11 years. Not that my first visit was bad but I was visiting from out of town at the time and after I moved down here I just never lived in proximity to this or any other location. So, when I did happen to be in the area and hungry, I decided to check it out again. Since my last visit some changes were made to the decor and it seemed brighter and not as worn. Still very casual and comfortable. We were seated quickly and our waiter, Stephen was prompt in getting over to get drink orders and answer menu questions. It was hard to decide among the many seafood options, all sounded great. There were non-seafood chicken and beef items to satisfy most any taste. We both ended up deciding on crab cake variations. The food was out fairly quickly and we were both happy with our crab cakes, mine the sliders , and his the platter. Crispy fries, really good cole slaw too. I had a happy hour glass of house Pinot and it was better than expected although I forgot to ask the brand. During dinner we overheard the manager/owner explaining that there were only two Shells locations left at this time, and he had recently taken over. I still don't live close enough to visit either Tampa location, so I hope in the future he decides to open in Bradenton!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank RoLoHa
Tampa, Florida
“"sea"the"food" and love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

we have been coming here since the Restaurant opened in the 1980s, and it's certainly seen a lot of changes over the last 20 years. The remodeling of the Bar and Restaurant gave it a nice new look though. We came here this time with several friends, and everybody loved the food that Crystal (a terrific server by the way) brought to us. The choice of fresh seafood is fantastic, and if you love shrimp, you need to try Shells signature dish "shrimp pasta". You also get a terrific clam chowder here, one of the best, I promise. I had the fresh rainbow trout lightly blackened last time I was here, and it was super. Happy hour is until 7 PM, so don't miss out. It really is one of the best seafood places in Tampa, so just go and try it, you won't be sorry.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BB1Tampa
Columbus, Nebraska
“My kinda place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

A great, laid back, casual kind of place. Enjoyed king crab legs and the highly recommended clam chowder! Loved it!

• Visited November 2013
“Great Chowder ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I brought my family in for a seafood dinner. My brother was visiting from Wyoming where seafood is scarce.
Jim the bartender gave us great service the seafood was fresh and tasty. The single best thing on the menu is the Chowder. When you go re it and you will be a believer!

Been to Shells? Share your experiences!