“Great, as always”

Stonewood Grill & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Stonewood Grill & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 2,458 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Stonewood Grill & Tavern offers a complete dining experience for both your eyes and your palate. You don't want to have just another ordinary night out - so tonight, make it extraordinary! We oak-grill each steak to lock in its juices and enhance its natural flavors. Plus, only the freshest seafood has the honor of being prepared by one of Stonewood's gourmet chefs. Adding our innovative wine list featuring rare selections and exceptional pairings makes Stonewood a great place for couples, friends, and coworkers, for date night, happy hour, special occasions, and holiday parties. So the next time you're looking for the perfect night out, come to Stonewood Grill & Tavern.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Dave and crew are wonderful. The food is always prepared to perfection. Never rushed to eat and leave. Quiet and pleasant atmosphere. James, our waiter, is the best ever. He always pays attention to what his guests need. Overall, the best restaurant in the area with no exception.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is the best meal we have had in the entire area to date. Everything from the atmosphere to the service and the food was perfect. The restaurant was welcoming and comfortable. It was dimly lit and the patrons were dressed mostly in casual business attire. We were welcomed and seated with a smile even though we felt underdressed in our cool and comfy summer attire. After reviewing the menu, which is a bit limited, we decided on fried calamari, cedar plank roasted salmon, crab crusted mahi, and key lime pie for dessert.

We were brought some complimentary breads to start. The pretzel bread was delicious. The salads came next and they were fresh. The appetizer of calamari was so good! Then the food came. Ohhhhh the food. The smell was incredible. I picked up my cedar plank salmon plate and passed it around saying "smell this!" It was all amazing. The mahi was excellent. Everything was perfectly cooked. The vegetables were crisp and cooked to perfection. Portion size was good. I can't even describe how good the food was. The key lime pie was good, but I have to agree with other reviewers that it did not have much of a lime taste to it. It was still very good though.

I must also point out that our server was very attentive and friendly. Also, the manager came around to each table personally and asked about the meal. He stayed and chatted a bit and was a great guy. We appreciated this personalized service and commitment.

Our bill came to almost $80 not including the tip.

A special thank you to our server, Ryan, the manager, Mike, and of course the chef. Keep up the outstanding job!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We visited this restaurant last night, where my friend had a chicken pot pie and I had a NY sirloin.
The waiter was extremely professional and friendly, the food was prepared quickly and as requested. Two beers, two appetizers and two decent meals came out to $50.
I would say around North Tampa this is a really nice restaurant and highly recommended.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have been eating at Stonewood since the first one opened in Ormond Beach many years ago and always regarded it as one of the best restaurants around. Reliably good food and service, albeit a bit pricey. So I was beyond disappointed when I visited this location for the first time recently and got what was arguably one of the worst filet mignons I have encountered anywhere. Tough, full of gristle and overall, not all that flavorful. And for that (a big 6 oz), I paid $30!? I'm not one to complain and raise a rukus. I just paid the bill and left. But I sure would think twice before eating at this location again (Ormond Beach and Lake Mary locations have been very good in the past but I have not been in a while). Perhaps this is a consequence of rising beef prices. They are pushing scraps near the filet, which normally would not qualify as filet to cover extra costs. If so, that's a very bad move. Also was quite disappointed in the "key lime pie" which they bragged was homemade at the restaurant. If so, they need to fire the pastry chef. It was completely devoid of any lime favor. More like sweetened condensed milk pie. Too sweet. Missing the essential tart counterpoint lime juice provides. I honestly think they forgot to add the lime juice. On the upside, the wait staff was very good, the bread (pretzel twist especially) was quite tasty and the cesear salad was small but adequate. Given the high cost of the food here, it should be much much better and the portion sizes need to be improved from the tiny ones they now serve (I ordered broccoli with the steak and got three tiny buds. A couple of mouthfuls.) When the brought the plate with a tiny shriveled filet and the few scraps of broccoli in the middle, well, lets just say the presentation was underwhelming.
Perhaps this was some sort of aberration and I just caught them on a bad night (Saturday). I hope so. Otherwise I will have cross this chain off my list of preferred restaurants. I don't mind paying a lot for good quality. But this was, on the whole, mediocre at best. And that a charitable rating.

1  Thank Zapatop
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We are regulars at Stonewood and thoroughly enjoy the neighborhood feel of the restaurant. The manager, Dave, hires intelligent, attentive servers and he stays on top of things, from service to food quality and presentation. Dave is especially good at getting to know his customers. My only criticism is that, although they have a few featured items which vary, the menu is a bit limited and is rarely changed. My guess is that not varying the menu is an effort to try to keep prices reasonable, but it is a trade-off.

Been to Stonewood Grill & Tavern? Share your experiences!