“Convenient to cruise ships and Ybor is interesting”

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown
Ranked #13 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Convenient to cruise ships and Ybor is interesting”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Proximity to Ybor and the ships is fine. Safe, courteous, helpful. Finding a hotel where I can smoke is difficult in doing the search and even finding one! Wish the windows opened. Good breakfast. Had my 15 year old with me and Ybor city is "colorful" so be aware that even the "market" is a head shop. Great restaurants in the area. For a few dollars more, I stayed at Hilton's Garden Inn at the end of the cruise and would return there again if I were ever to cruise out of Tampa again, which I won't. Fog and weather too iffy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I made my reservation by phone and from that point on, everything was excellent and professional. First, the front desk person Ebony made my reservation by phone and answered every 20 questions I had with an honest and friendly answer. I was leaving out on a cruise and was staying a few nights when we returned from the cruise. She gave me great suggestions of things to do in Tampa and places to eat. She told me to spend a day at Busch Gardens being I have never been there, and by what she told me of that place, it was amazing, she is by far great with giving ideas, great customer service and she always has a smile on her face. She made us feel at home there. Kudos to Ebony for making our stay an excellent and memorable one. The complimentary shuttle from the port was excellent as well, Micheal the driver was very efficient and professional. Ebony and Micheal are the 2 employees that stood out to both me and my husband. This hotel will give you everything that you need, whether it be a complimentary shuttle, complimentary breakfast, restaurants all around, 5 minute trip to and from the port, or may it just be a warm "good morning, how are you doing?" This hotel by far exceeded my expectations from beginning to end. Hampton Inn and Suites in Ybor City is a great place to stay when visiting or traveling. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 February 2012

A group of us spent a Wednesday night at the Ybor Hampton Inn before heading out on a cruise out of the Port of Tampa. Recalling from my college days, I feared Ybor might be a little sketchy at night, but it was misplaced anxiety. My 80-year-old mom loved Hamburger Mary's for lunch, right down to posing for a pic with the Hamburger Mary statue. Much of the family came in late -- after midnight -- from San Diego, but we got them fed at Old Manhattan Pizza, an easy walk away. Great service! The crowded nightlife sidewalks actually make the neighborhood feel much safer than if it were desolate. As for the hotel itself, it was very secure and clean, and the staff was incredibly responsive. I can't compare the included breakfast offering to other Hamptons, as this was my first, but it seemed more than adequate. And the coffee/tea was available around the clock. The complimentary shuttle was great for getting our party of 10 to the port. Be a little careful with the closets, however. When you're packing up, it's easy to forget they're even there, just looking like a full-length mirror. Two of us left clothes behind. No problem, though -- we called once we were back in port and everything was wrapped and waiting for us at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Arrived very late/early am about 1230 am. We were called by hotel staff day before and asked to be placed elsewhere since the hotel was overbooked. We booked this Hilton property 2 months earlier as part of our pre-cruise stay we always do when going out on a cruise. We really love the Tampa area and Ybor City. But do to circumstances beyond our control we could not get in earlier in the day and enjoy the Ybor City evening. Hotel staff was outside smoking at front entrance when we arrived. Not exactly what I would expect but since we are non-smokers we try and avoid smoking areas. Our room was very comfortable, there was a minor odor and that is perhaps due to fact area of hotel we were in was smoking area and that was room deodorizer used. NOTE make sure if you book and do not want smoking area that you explicitly state that with staff. Since we booked it so long ago I was not sure if I had done that. As with other Hilton properties, the beds were as comfortable as you could ask for. Rooms and hallways were a bit dated. AM staff and cleaning crew were very kind and accommodating. There was a large group staying at the hotel that were in town for some kind of training/seminar and they all converged on the breakfast buffet at once so the food was 80 % gone when we went to eat. Not a big problem for us since we did not have to check out until noon, so we went for about an hour walk down to pier area and back to hotel. By then much of the food was replenished and it was very good. I had stayed at a Hampton Inn 1 week previously and they had Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches which were very good! This Hampton Inn had a slightly larger buffet and is a great deal. The hotel also has a free shuttle to the cruise port which is about a 5 minute ride. We just love walking around in the Y-bor City area and this hotel is in the heart of it all. Bottom line: Great folks! Affordable, Comfortable and Convenient!

Room Tip: Pool is outside. If you do not want a smoking room make sure you advise staff.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have had several occassions to stay at this hotel in downtown Ybor. By far, it is extremely convenient if you are attending downtown evening events and is great to come home to as the entrance is well lit and accessible from the sidewalk. The staff are very helpful, the rooms clean. My only concern is the recent price increases which tend to make the stay less enjoyable, especially since you pay for parking separately from hotel fees.

Room Tip: You will pay for parking separately and per day (about $7/day) Make sure to plan to use the pool on...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 February 2012

PRO'S
Not an inexpensive hotel by any means, but it is well maintained, clean, reasonably stylish, and not wildly expensive as i perhaps could be.

The bedding was excellent, as was the spaciousness of the suite.

Also, it's centrally located to most everything you would care to do in Ybor City.

CON'S
As several other reviewers note: paper-thin walls. By that I mean, truly stunning lack of sound insulation. Conversations in neighboring units were perfectly audible sounding as if the people were in the room with you. So...that's a pretty noisy environment.

Also: the depressingly common "hidden fees"...be it a 'resort fee' or a 'parking fee'. These have become so large and prevalent that they effectively mask the real price you are paying when booking online.

Interestingly, England has regulations to prevent this sort of thing. So, for instance when I travel in the UK and book a hotel...if the price on the site says, say, $140/night...then my final bill will likewise say $140/night.

Contrast that to our experience here in the US. Here, a hotel might advertise a hotel as being priced at, say, $99/night. Thinking that to be a good rate, you book it. Only once you arrive at checkout, you realize that it's $99...plus a $12/day "resort fee" for free bottled water you never ordered...plus a $10/day technology fee for the wireless internet you might never use...plus a $20 tax-recovery fee...because...umm...the taxes the customer already is paying isn't enough, somehow?

Why not just call it what it is? $99 "base room rate"...plus a $40 "this is what the real price is" service charge...?

Again, the hotel itself is fine. It would just be nice if the hospitality industry would stop following the airline industry's chief mistake...where the advertised ticket Price is only $150!!! (Not including $950 in taxes, for a total of $1100).

C'mon corporate America...be honest with your prices. We all understand the scam now anyway...Stop quoting us "fake" prices. Stop quoting us "fake prices" that leave out the other 80% of the cost. That's just plain old deceptive.

Not getting on you for this practice...most of the travel industry does it in the US in one form or another.

Room Tip: Bring some earplugs, as you might need them due to the noise coming from the other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ikemcf
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
We thank you for taking valuable time to review our hotel. We are very happy to learn that you thought we were well maintained and clean. We agree our location is second to none in Tampa/Ybor City!

We also agree that hidden fees are a nuisance. Our Hampton, and every Hampton in the US, provides a clean room with a complimentary hot breakfast and free high speed internet access. There are a few of us in high demand areas that do charge for parking and this is noted on the front page of our website. Other than that we do not have any hidden fees such as resort fees, technology fees, or any "extra" tax recovery fees. This one of many reasons to choose Hampton while traveling.

We hope to see you again as our guest. We love having you here!

Stephen Nunez
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night in Jan. 2012. We checked in late and check in was a bit odd. The night desk person seemed more interested in cleaning than checking us in, then made a few rude remarks about a woman complaining that the elevator didn't work. We laughed it off.

Our room was spacious and clean. The bedding was very comfortable. They even had a microwave and small fridge in the room, which is a great touch that all hotels should have.

The next morning, we took advantage of the free, full breakfast. They had a nice selection and make-your-own waffles. Before checking out, we took advantage of the free computers and internet access in the breakfast area. It was easy to use.

This hotel is about a mile from the port and they offer free rides to and from the port every 20 minutes. We took advantage of it and it was a great service. We were going on a cruise, so it was very convenient. FYI: If you're sailing out of TAmpa on Royal Caribbean, you can get on the ship at 11:30 am the day you're sailing. Nobody told us that, so we walked around Ybor City for 2 hours to waste time.

This hotel is also about 10 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends