“LOVED! Incredible experience!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lakeland, Florida
“LOVED! Incredible experience!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and I come to Tampa rather often to have dinner with friends. At the very last minute, we changed our overnight hotel plans to stay at Epicurean when we realized it had just opened! Not only did we change our hotel plans, we convinced the group of 4 other couples to change the plans to have drinks at the roof top bar and dine at Elevage instead! The food and service were both outstanding! We had breakfast in the restaurant then next morning, which was also equally as great! We absolutely loved every aspect of our overnight experience at Epicurean and will most DEFINITELY stay here time and time again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your review about your stay at the Epicurean. So happy that you and your friends all changed your plans in order to visit us. I'm happy that you found the experience to be more than satisfactory and hope to see you again soon.

Tom Haines

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel last night and I have to say I'm very impressed. The rooms are very modern, and as all the other reviews point out it is food and wine themed, which is expected when the owner of Berns steakhouse are developing a hotel ;). The rooms are very modern and very spacious, love the bathroom with the dual shower heads. We had appetizers and dinners at the bar. The deviled eggs and pork belly were simply delicious. I had monkfish schnitzel as an entree and it was very good and flavorful. The lobby and the restaurant area are very rustic and I really enjoyed the atmosphere throughout the entire hotel. I stayed at many different Marriott properties, including autograph collections. If you like the boutique style hotels this is the way to go for you. Another major plus is the free wifi in the rooms. I did not notice any construction from our room or throughout the hotel at all. I can see that this hotel might be less accommodating for business travelers, but then again, it's boutique hotel and not a convention hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your stay at the Epicurean. I appreciate your comments and am happy that you enjoyed your stay and your experience at Élevage. I hope to see you again for another visit now that we have all the outlets open and fully operational.

Atlanta
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just finished a two night stay. There's much to like at this hotel, but it's a work in progress. The grand opening is this weekend, so it's still in previews.

Getting There: Google Maps will direct you to the Selman highway, and between exits, in the middle of the highway, instruct you your destination is on the right. Be sure to put the address into your GPS, not the Epicurean Hotel.

Parking: Although the signage indicates you can self park, you are apparently supposed to know that it's valet only.

Lobby: There isn't so much as a stool to sit on in the lobby. It's small and sparse, but the restaurant and bar areas are open, and just off the lobby, so it's not really an issue.

Check In and Quirks: The hotel is still under construction. There are many examples of not quite finished construction projects throughout the hotel. For example, when you get off the elevator, there are no signs telling you which rooms are in which direction. The utility closet, with all the wires and boxes, was open and unfinished. My promised feather free room was not feather free. Checking in at one, having to get up at six, this was a disappointment. (One that was also experienced this week at the Ft. Lauderdale North FS and the Doral CY. By Wed, Marriott was calling hotels ahead of time giving them the riot act even though I didn't reach out to them.)

Room: I was in Room 312, which overlooked the highway, garbage dump and construction staging area. MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A ROOM ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HOTEL. Not only was it an ugly view, but the noise from the highway was loud. The room is pretty. It's modern. The desk area is cool, but not ideal for working. The chair is high, the work surface is glass (bad for many reasons, including using a mouse) and the work area is shallow. My very small computer barely fit. The first morning, as I was getting ready, I couldn't keep track of time because there was no clock. I didn't say anything, but when I got back that evening, there was a clock. The clocks were on backorder and had just gotten there. There is no phone by the bed, so a wake-up call requires getting out of bed.

There were four wine choices and champagne in the room. The mini-bar had some cool snacks and interesting drink choices, both adult and general audience. Diet Pepsi is $5 a can, though, and there's isn't a shop or vending machine in the hotel. If you want soda or water, bring your own in.

The bathroom is modern, with the double nozzle shower someone previously mentioned. (Top middle of the shower and on one wall.) The shower has frosted glass on the side, which means you can see the silhouette of someone showering when you are in the room. I was alone, so it didn't matter, and some might enjoy that. I know it's in right now, but some might not like it. The shower products were a brand I hadn't heard of previously and, of course, were natural products.

Breakfast: Plats get a coupon for breakfast in the restaurant, or can choose 750 MR Points, seven days a week. The coupon allows anything on the menu, with beverages included.

The first day, I had the single best breakfast I've ever had in a hotel. It was scrambled duck eggs over goose confit and mushrooms in a puff pastry. Simply awesome! Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to eat breakfast the second day. There were so many things that looked good on the menu.

Dinner: Dinner was a letdown. I ate at Elevage. I asked the people next to me, a married couple that was having a long conversation lull, what they had and if they liked it. The wife had the Salmon and didn't think it was special. The husband enjoyed his hanger steak. They were from Tampa and said there are other SoHo restaurants that are better. I ordered a beet salad (really good) and the lamb lasagna. (Meh. Bland.) The couple who sat at the table next to me after the other couple left ask me what I had. They ordered the hanger steak (looked great) and the tuna casserole. (Not what it sounds like, but she said it was very good.) I got the caramelized banana dessert, which was not that special. It was somewhat bland, like the lasagna.

Tapas Restaurant and Theater: There were many people in the Tapas Restaurant/Bar who appeared to be enjoying themselves. The Theater wasn't open, but it looks fun. It's small enough that the cooking demonstrations should be intimate and interactive. I've taken cooking classes in Atlanta, and it's sometimes hard to see. This setup shouldn't have that problem.

Pool, Roof Bar: The pool is small, but the pool area is modern and funky. The good funky. The Roof Bar was packed, but intimate. There seemed to be locals there, as well as people attending a business event (meeting?) in the hotel.

Staff: I cannot stress enough how wonderful the staff is. My luggage didn't make it to Tampa the first night, and the manager printed some handouts for me to replace my PowerPoint. (Had the computer and projector, but not the cords.) My other interactions with hotel staff were all similarly amazing. They don't wear uniforms, so when someone starts talking with you in the elevator who you might think is another guest may turn out to be an employee. This made the hotel feel more boutique and less Marriott standard. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Bottom Line: It was a nice stay. Given the staff's attitude, the kinks will likely be ironed out over time. Would I stay there again? Not sure. it's easily my favorite Marriott property in Tampa, and the SoHo neighborhood has more vacation feel than business feel, which is always nice. Given the price difference between this and other Marriott hotels in Tampa, though, I may be back at the Westshore FS or SHS next time. (Although I'll likely go down to SoHo for dinner.)

Room Tip: Get a room that is not on the highway side of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CJKatl
I appreciate your critique of your stay at the Epicurean Hotel and your feedback has helped us to make improvements since your visit. Your comments are valued and I do have to say that we have come a long way in the last 6 weeks. Thank you for mentioning the great service our staff provided, it obviously made the glitches you experienced a little less painful. I hope that you will come back again for a visit now that we have most of the opening flaws worked out.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I decided to stay at the epicurean for our date night. We also had dinner at Burns steakhouse and brunch the next day at the hotel restaurant. The room was amazing and could not of asked for more. Staff in the lobby was first class as well as staff in the restaurant could not of been more hospitable. If you love food and great service will pick this hotel for your next day. We stay in Marriott's three times a month and this was a great pick..

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jjsfoodie
Thank you for your review of your stay at the Epicurean. I'm delighted to hear that you joined us for "date night" and that you found our rooms, our restaurant and our service to be top notch. Hope to see you again soon

Homosassa Springs, Florida
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This new hotel in Tampa is across the street from Berns Steakhouse features a culinary theme through out the property. The rooms are comfortable, nicely appointed, new, and each has a pantry filled with gourmet snacks and wine along with a guide to match which wine with which food. The hotel has a modern food theme through out. There is an 80 seat restaraunt, pastry bar, wine store, and a culinary theatre for cooking classes that looks like a set on the food network. A visit is not complete until you stop at the roof top bar with its views of the Tampa skyline.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DJB1954
Thank you for your review of your stay at the Epicurean. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly liked the culinary theme of our hotel. I hope to see you again in the future and would like to hear your feedback after a visit to the Epicurean Theatre or any of our other outlets.

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two night s on business and an significantly impressed. The room, lobby, bar, restaurant are all extremely finely appointed. This hotel is new and lushly decorated. Very engaging. Second floor rooms have nice outdoor spaces. This is one of the freshest and nicest hotels I've stayed at in awhile. I would love to live close enough to take some of their cooking classes.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeffery C
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Epicurean during your business in Tampa. I appreciate your kind words and hope that the next time you are here on business that you will visit us again. Perhaps you can extend your trip to take in one of our cooking classes or enjoy any of our other outlets. Til then, safe travels.

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We spent two nights here prior to our cruise. The hotel is very nice as can be expected for a brand new place, it smelled of fresh paint and I think we might have been the first ones to ever stay in the room we had. Being brand new there are still a few kinks to work out but that is expected. Overall it was great, the staff was very friendly and nice. We did not eat in the restaurant because we had our little kids with us and they were tired and grumpy but ordered room service (the full menu is available for room service) and the food was excellent! We also loved the Flex van shuttle service available on site, they will take you anywhere within a mile for free and anywhere else 15 minutes for 15 dollars. It was always readily available and a very nice feature!

We had a great experience and would stay here again when in Tampa!

Room Tip: I would caution you to be careful with the bathroom door...it is on a slider and often got stuck res...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ashley O
Thank you for your critique of your stay at the Epicurean. I'm happy that you chose to stay with us prior to your cruise from Tampa. I will pass along your kind words to the staff. Please come back again.