“Novel, Chic, Ambitious-- Service trumps Operational Kinks”

Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here for a long weekend meeting my father & brother for Spring Training. The property is elegant, modern, & situated in a trendy area. Rooms are stylish, with high ceilings, lavish showers, & very comfortable beds. Luxurious appointments include a spa, wine store, parking valet, & shoe-shine stand. Since this hotel has only been operational for several months, there were several notable feature omissions & operating kinks apparent during our stay: no business center (computers & printers), no hot tub in pool area, restricted room service hours, mandatory valet parking, & some overnight maintenance noise. However, I found the Staff-- particularly Nicole, Jason, Taylor, & George-- to be quite attentive & accommodating. Overall, like its name, the Epicurean is ambitious with respect to design, decor, amenities, & according price. Given time to smooth out operations, this property is a promising choice within the chic upscale niche.

Room Tip: Given property novelty, request a room away from any maintenance being performed to smooth out opera...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Baseball season is upon us! Spring Training is one of the best parts of being in the Tampa Bay Area. I am glad you had the chance to come down to enjoy it! I am also pleased to hear of your appreciation for Nicole, Jason, Taylor and George. I absolutely love hearing our Epicureans delivering impressive service. I hope you choose to stay with us on your return trip, just don’t wait until Spring Training rolls around again!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Many of the details in this hotel are very unique, but so many standard items fell very short.

The room is extremely average, no frills. Bathroom doors provide no real privacy (barn door style)

The hallways are extremely noisy.

Spa has nice folks, but a standard Massage Envy will get you about the same treatment for half the price.

Restaurant is exceptional for Tampa standards. Food in great, really nice experience.

Lobby is very pretty. Plenty of space and spots to relax.

They did all the difficult things well, but c'mon folks, back to the drawing board on the rooms.

2  Thank FloridaJayBird
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here at the Epicurean. We are taking your critique and passing on your thoughts onto the appropriate departments. We are always open to the opinions of our guests because, after all, you are the reason we are here! We are all very happy to hear you enjoyed dining in Élevage! We hope you will visit us again and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the epicurean this past weekend. My husband is a doctor and we invited another doctor and his wife to join us in Tampa for a nice dinner at Berns. We returned back to the hotel and were talking outside our rooms. We were not screaming or acting unruly. We were simply talking. A guest in an adjacent room asked us to move our conversation inside which we did. We turned in the tv and continued our conversation inside. Again light banter and talk. Security arrived and notified that if they came back again they would kick us out. They were abrasive, rude and demeaning. I explained that we would just be in the room talking and they said even talking at that level would get us kicked out. The main security man was austere and beyond reasonable. Instead of letting it go as a warning, he demanded that we leave the hotel immediately. Without a care as to where we would go in the middle of the night. We were thoroughly embarrassed as we were escorted out in front of our esteemed colleague. By the way, I am pregnant and was forced out without any consideration. I demanded information such as his name and he told me would not communicate with me anymore. And then thu charged me for the room! If you are a single person looking for a bed for a night and ou have no intention of talking louder than a whisper, stay here. If you might want to talk or watch tv in your room, find another place to stay or you might be unceremoniously escorted out. Definately not an inviting hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014
12  Thank Koyfmama
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I just stayed in the hotel last night with my husband in one room, and the couple we were with we're staying across the hall from us. After eating dinner across the street, we came back to our rooms to freshen up and decide what to do next. We were talking in the hallway and one of the guests asked us to be quiet. We politely apologized, and reconvened in our friends' room. We were chatting with the tv on when three large hotel staff knocked on the door saying they were responding to a noise complaint. We told the staff that we were in the hallway earlier and that may have been where the complaint had come from. The three men acted like we were hooligans who were partying and causing a scene. We are two doctors and their wives who are in our mid thirties- it is hard to believe we were being that disruptive to warrant such heavy handed, rude, and unprofessional behavior by the three staff members. They claimed they could hear our conversation by standing outside the room door. Of course you can, it is a hotel room, not a sound proof studio. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and have heard people walking and talking in the hallways, doors slam, neighbors talking, etc. because it is a HOTEL where a lot of people are in close proximity. Anyway, words were exchanged and tempers flared because we couldn't believe how poorly we were being treated, that they ended up kicking our friends out of the hotel at 130 am! They let my husband and I stay, and the next morning I noticed a bar charge with 18 percent service fee that should not have been on our invoice. I called the front desk and she removed the charge, but I mean what in the world is going on with this hotel? If you want to stay here, check your bill carefully and don't even think about talking.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melissa o
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to speak with me today regarding the unfortunate experience that you and your guests encountered this weekend. I greatly appreciate the detail of the events, as this information is most helpful in addressing all of your concerns. As we discussed, I will communicate with you privately from this point forward.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We are currently in room 355 at this new property that is associated with Bern's Steak House across the street. The property is part of the Marriott "Autograph" series and has a lot going on for it.

We planned the trip around our usual yearly visit to Bern's, our favourite restaurant along with Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach. I made the hotel reservation ten days before our planned trip. I then contacted Bern's for dinner reservations at 6. I should have booked Bern's first. They had no availability. I figured I would contact the hotel and see if they had any "pull" with the restaurant. I received an email back from the hotel general manager, Tom Haines. He had taken the time and effort to secure an "impossible" reservation at 7. I am impressed.

We arrived yesterday, March 6, and were greeted with excellent valet service and reception. Even a glass of wine from Bern's extensive collection. Good service.

As other reviewers have indicated, this hotel is ultra modern. Maybe a little austere. Our king room had unusual appointments. Some of the highlights included nice lighting, unusual hotel art, nice colour coordination, large bath with a rainfall shower and a very comfortable bed. Some of the not so nice items were the absence of a desk with proper work height for a laptop and only one night stand. The one irritation we experienced was having the mini-bar inventory taker ringing our door bell thirty minutes after our 2:15 arrival. They should be able to do that in the morning after checkout of the last guest.

Some public areas were a low point in our brief stay, namely the lobby bar off the restaurant. We are old. The seating consisted of stools with no backs at the bar and about four low chairs that were poorly designed probably by a modern artist. The backs of the chairs were so far back you almost had to lay down to touch them. We attempted to sit in the chairs and waited for five minutes to have a waitress come take our order. The hostess had informed the bar we were there, but the staff seemed more content talking with some business men that came in after us than coming to take our order. We left and went across the street to Bern's bar and had the usual great service we expect.

The hotel is food centric in concept so we were looking forward to our breakfast this morning. We arrived at 7 to find an empty hostess stand (5 minute wait) then only to be entrapped in a chamber of cacophony of horrible rap music. It took another few minutes for somebody to take the time to squelch the noise. The wife ordered a baked egg dish with various other ingredients that was quite good. I went with the shrimp and grits. Our server indicated the baked dish took twelve minutes to which I reply, "Just make sure my shrimp and grits arrive at a proper temperature". It was apparent the shrimp dish had waited a long time for the baked dish since it was less than room temperature on arrival. It was possibly a good dish with very creamy cold grits. If you like the New Orleans version of this dish do not order it here. It was lacking any hot spice that would be expected.

I asked for the check and it arrived promptly without a pen to sign the check to the room. I finally went up to reception and grabbed one from the unattended desk.

Mr. Haines needs to get a few more things under control before our next visit in 2015. We will try The Epicurean again. It has great potential.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

We are very pleased to hear you are a regular at Bern’s Steakhouse and chose to stay at the Epicurean Hotel during your recent visit. Our relationship with Bern’s is one that is special to us and we strive to achieve the level of service excellence that they have been known for, for the past 50+ years. Thank you for your positive and constructive feedback regarding your stay and please know that we take all of the feedback we receive very seriously. We are happy to know that you will be back to stay with us for your annual visit to Bern’s in 2015!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We chose this hotel because of its location across the street from Bern's Steakhouse. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary at Bern's and found this hotel on Trip Advisor. It is very new and very modern. The theme of this hotel is food and wine. You see it in the decor and there is wine available in the rooms for sale. I liked that they also provided real wine glasses for you. However a wine opener is extra. The decor is minimalist, sleek and modern. However I did not find it cold. Our king room was on the expressway side of the hotel. It was a nice size and had all the amenities. The bathroom was large and the shower was one of the best hotel showers I have ever used. There was noise from the expressway, but it was muted and not intrusive. One warning. This is a technology forward hotel. There is no printed information in the rooms. You have to download an app to get hotel info and room service menus. There is a telephone and you can call for help. Off the lobby is a wonderful wine store. Go. Their selection is extensive and their prices are very reasonable. I wanted champagne for our anniversary and they had a chilled bottle of a French champagne I had not tried for a fantastic price. It was also quite good. You should also go across the garage to Chocolate Pi for a macaroon. Very good. If you need to be in this part of Tampa, I highly recommend this hotel. Also, we found valet service to be very helpful, the front desk staff welcoming and the room clean. The only reason we did give the hotel an excellent is we were not able to really try all the amenities and it still feels very new.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for spending your anniversary with us! We are elated to hear you enjoyed your stay with us on your special day! Our hotel is very focused on technology. From check in, to our Epicurean Theatre to our Epicurean Hotel App we strive to utilize the latest in hotel technology. Our relationship with Bern’s Fine Wines and Spirits and Chocolate Pi add to the guest experience and we are very happy you had the chance to check them out! We hope to see you again and thanks for your great review!

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I don't like valet parking and we had to basically demand to park our own car. Hotel is very mod/industrial chic decorated, which is very trendy and works, overall. Pool is very far away from our room. Room could have been cleaner. There was a Cheerio on the floor and grubby finger prints on a wall. The artwork in our room is weird. The view from our window is of bungalow style houses across the street. The beds are really comfortable. Everything is new, so, overall, I'm happy. It is a nice hotel and the staff seems pleasant. They just need to make sure there is quality control with regard to room cleanliness. That's a big deal!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Jamie V

We greatly appreciate your candid review of the hotel. Even if you enjoy all the hotel has to offer, we all understand that cleanliness in the room can sully that experience. Our housekeeping team have been notified of your issues and are working to make sure another guest does not have the same experience. We hope to see you return for another stay here at the Epicurean!