Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection
Doubletree.com
US$193
US$160
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay(Tampa)
US$178
US$121
US$167
US$163
US$200
US$170
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbern's steakhouserooftop barwine shoprain showerchocolate picomplimentary bikesbayshore blvdshoe shinesouth tampamini bardirectly across the streetmarriott propertymodern hotelthe check in processvalet parkingfavorite hotelwonderful hotel
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I was in Tampa for a vendor conference. I expected a decent hotel, but I was blown away by the Epicurean. The room was spacious, the bathroom was great. The shower was the best. Even the iron in the closet was top notch. The staff was consistently nice. Oh, I almost forgot the best part - the food. Incredible. I've never had better scallops. Even the hotel manager spent a few minutes talking to me, which meant quite a lot.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Room top bar, weather permitting, is outstanding. Check in curb side with an I-pad makes the check in seamless. It is completed in your room. Really a nice touch. Spa services are outstanding. Food services and room service will, hopefully, improve. Hotel only opened in December 13. Rooms are wonderful and staff is young and enthusiastic. Wish I had a reason to return to Tampa soon so I could stay there again. My wife advises that the hair dryer was not the "wimpy" dryer found in most places. Wonderful make up mirror. Heavenly bed. Everything about the hotel was "easy."

Room Tip: Unless you want to walk outside from your room in the 2nd floor to the pool, the balcony is rather pointless (and costs more).
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheOlantan
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was looking for a Marriott property fairly close to the Tampa airport. Just by chance I selected this hotel off the Marriott app. Up or arrival I was impressed with the friendly quick check-in and a quick overview of the property. The room was way above my expectation, nicely stocked with coffee, snacks and of course neat selection of wine. In the morning I asked for a reference on a. LA Fitness. The gentlemen at the front desk offered two options the closest and a new facility that was just a few minutes further. Breakfast was so over the top I have told several people the breakfast alone is worth another visit itself

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

first off, the hotel is just beautiful. It is brand new. it is a theme hotel. it's claim to fame is that it is associated with the Bern steakhouse situated directly across the street. So, if you intend to spend an evening drinking and dining at the steakhouse, and don't want to drive afterwards, this is certainly the place.

the building which houses the hotel is rather non-descript. it doesn't even look like a hotel. I don't even recall if there is a sign stating that it is the epicurean hotel. once you drive into the building and leave your car with the valet, you walk into the hotel and then you are informed that they do not have a traditional front desk. you are assigned your own personal concierge, that takes you up to your room and checks you into the room on an ipad. if you don't like your room, they will take you to another room and check you into that room. we looked at two rooms. they were actually the same except that each faced a different side of the building. the first room looked over the back of the building with a view of simply ugliness. our second room wasn't much better, it looked onto the famous bern steakhouse. if you have ever been to the steakhouse, you will know that the exterior of the restaurant is nothing to look at. don't get me wrong, the exterior of the steakhouse is not indicative of what you will experience on the inside. I may write a review of the steakhouse later. back to the hotel. had I stayed in a room further down the hall on the other side of the corridor, on the side I had rejected, the view would have been of a nice mural on the side of the garage wall. no sarcasm, I did think the mural was nice.

the room had a nicely firm bed which I enjoyed. instead of the usual mini bar, the room was equipped with little bottles of fine wine for our sampling. unfortunately, they were priced like big bottles of wine. since I am writing this review over a month after I had stayed, I don't remember exactly what else was in the mini bar, but i'm pretty sure they didn't carry your traditional packets of cheese-itz and oreo cookies. In the hotel is a classroom dedicated to cooking which is streamed into the rooms. the tabletops of the rooms are made of butcher block to help you follow the class by chopping your own vegetables in your room (really?) OK, let's go to the rooftop bar on the fourth floor. there is a full service bar with lovely outdoor space. the bar is not open air. it is under a cover...however...the seating for the patrons on the very comfy sofa's are open air. this is great for late night, evening events, but the hotel is in tampa. you know, the very hot in the summer time tampa, the tampa that will set you ablaze if you stand outside for more than 5 minutes in august tampa. so, i'm going to guess that they won't have much of a crowd during happy hour in the summer. in the evenings, I can really bet that this place will cater to a very elegant crowd, because it is an elegant space. want to work out, that's on the second floor, I believe. not too big a space, 2 or 3 treadmills, 2 or 3 elliptical machines, some free weights and a modern all in one cable machine. the problem was that during my stay, there was something wrong with the sound on my treadmill television. on two of the treadmills, they didn't work. these are new machines, so all I can surmise is that they were not hooked up properly. finished with your workout? want a dip in the pool? it is out back on the ground level. I think it is accessible three ways. walk to the back of the building and take the elevator to the ground level if you are on the upper floors, walk down the exterior stairs from the second level after your workout...or...walk through the restaurant on the first floor, yes in your trunks and swimwear and towel. so, you opt for the rear stairs or rear elevator, when you get to the pool and begin to sun yourself, you may do so with a wonderful view of the parking lot of the housing complex next to the hotel. the pool is gated in with iron slats, but nothing to prevent you from looking out and consequently, nothing to prevent people from staring at you while they park their car. I believe the pool is heated. on the two days I lounged by the pool, there was little or no attendant presence. if you want to sit near the water, beware, there is no shading via umbrellas or otherwise directly next to the pool. remember what I said about the florida sun? also, there is no hot tub/whirlpool, but it is peaceful in an exposed kind of way.

one last thing about the physical facility, if you want a room with a balcony, you may want to rethink that. the term balcony is used in a way that I, if not most people, would consider a stretch. the balcony as defined by the epicurean is the grouping of rooms on the second floor of the hotel with sliding glass doors that open out onto the roof the first floor. for those not fortunate enough to have a balcony, we can use the lounge space adjacent to the balconies which are two loveseats facing each other and are back to back with other loveseat balconies of the adjacent rooms. so, you open your sliding door, walk outside and you are standing on the roof with the only thing separating your "balcony" for the others is the thickness of your loveseat back. if you have an end unit balcony, you can come out and take two additional steps and be in the "lounge " area which is available to all guests.

you may think that I did not like my stay, but I did, the service was friendly. everyone at the "front desk" area to the valets to the other staff were wonderful. my only problem was that my room did not get made until very late in the day.

the hotel was fairly convenient. very close to bayshore drive. there are a few other restaurants on the strip of road in front of the hotel other than the steakhouse. I will review one of those also, but they all actually looked like a lot of fun.

Would I stay here again? my wife said she would, and I would also, but more because, I could visit not only bern but other restaurants and not worry about driving back to my hotel.

Room Tip: I would avoid the rooms with a balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed here on a one nighter before a cruise and used some marriott points. Interesting foodie concept but no one really explained anything about the concept or options. Had an over priced brunch in the restaurant that was unspectacular. Wine shop seemed nice, as did the chocolate shop. They have a theater that does demonstrations.the day we were there was a wine and cheese pairing class. Didn't see anyone go in, it was $55 and they only had a 2:00 session on this particular Saturday.

Rooms are very nice and unique but definitely some sound issues. crying baby next door was annoying and loud. Had to go to the front desk since they just gave us keys and never checked Id or swiped cc. But they didn't seem interested in doing anything other than offering to call the room next door to see about the baby which didn't seem like a great idea. Maybe just the date/time we were here but the front desk personal seemed more interested in giving the appearance of attentiveness rather than actually doing anything.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mimkeusr
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member! We always love when members redeem their points with us! Thank you for your review and we will be working with our team to improve how we respond to our guest’s concerns. Our culinary classroom, the Epicurean Theatre, has a wide variety of classes available. From wine and beer to Thai and Italian cuisine, there is a lot to learn here! We invite you to join us on your next trip!
Tom Haines