“Stayed Dec 2 - 4th, 11”

Ranked #115 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Kelowna, BC Canada
“Stayed Dec 2 - 4th, 11”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Hotel is only 1 or 2 years old and is quite nice - especially for the price. It is literally 300 yards from the Football Stadium and Yankees spring training facility. 1 mile from the Tampa airport and International Mall which has an awesome food court / night life area for adults - Blue Martini is awesome. We went to a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game and it is an easy 30 minute drive downtown. A 2nd mall that has Sears / Macy's is only 2 miles away. Main road out front is awesome to get around - Dale Mawbry. Hotel was full the 2nd night we were there, Buc's game the next day and there was still enough parking out front - just barely. Wifi is good but cuts out on occasion which is something one can live with. Rooms are great along with the pool area. Breakfast is acceptable at best as with all Holiday Inn Expresses. If you can get over to Clearwater Beach - 45 minute drive but awesome. And if you golf head North to World Woods - 1 hr drive - the most amazing round you will ever have for most likely $35. The fountain is not working in the lobby but that is fine. Also some West Virginia fans were partying in the lobby later on Sat night which was loud - we called down and it stopped quickly which was nice. Price is great - I believe we paid $71 ballpark. Last thing - the shower is amazing!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KelownaCanda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 December 2011

After thoroughly researching for a hotel with a superb location, exceptional value, & cleanliness, I found this Holiday Inn Express near Raymond James Stadium. Near Mall (incredible with fantastic food court), tons of restaurants nearby, and close to the airport. Clean all the way around with continental breakfast bonus! Staff was very helpful and considerate. For under $90 per night, A Steal!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank djstamos
sanford, nc
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We usually stay at higher end hotels but this hotel was a good walk to the stadium and we got a great deal through expedia. If you are looking for all the high end luxury you are not going to find it, but I will tell you what you will get. First we flew in early and got to the hotel at 1030. They let us check in at this time. Our room was spacious and clean. From 530 to 630 they offered free beer free soda water. They also serve turkey gravy mashed potatoes and salad I'll for free. Before game time they shuttled people to and from the hotel. We also had free breakfast. We will be back in the spring for a baseball game.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank sturtzy
Alberta
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed here one night to catch a plane the next morning. We had good luck with this chain in the past and this is why we chose this hotel. The room smelled bad. A mix of mildew or mold covered up with parfume. We could tell that someone had sprayed the room with "feebreeze" or something to cover up the smell. We checked the window and it looked moldy around it. We told our son not to touch it! We were surprised to see this hotel in such poor condition since it does not look that old. Our son has asthma and we very concerned about spending the night there.
We will never go back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
erlanger ky
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Ended up here overnight when I couldn't get a flight out. Lobby was nice but they should get the pretty waterfall fixed. Desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. No strange odors in lobby or hallways. Room was very nice. 2 queens, microwave, mini-fridge, coffeemaker. Bedding was clean. Mattress & pillows very comfortable. Towels looked fairly new. Water was hot. Carpet definitely in need of a good cleaning or replacing. Multiple large stains. All the outlets worked. Breakfast was fine. Scrambled eggs, bacon, yogurt, etc. Only glitch came with the shuttle back to the airport. I had gotten myself listed for 6:30am and when I still didn't see the shuttle by 6:40am I went to the desk and the clerk called only to find out that the driver didn't know he had a 6:30am pickup and was getting gas. He arrived at 6:55am. Since I always build in an extra half hour for these sort of things I didn't miss my flight but it was still a bit nerve-wracking. I would stay there again if I found myself in the same situation.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank cvg22858
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The motel appeared to be very nice when you were in the lobby. Clean and nicely decorated. A very pretty waterfall in the lobby that wasn't working and had old water in it. The young lady at the from desk acted as though we were putting her out when we checked in. She was rude to the people that were calling on the phone. Not a smile, a welcome , or any kind of professional skills. The smell as we were going to our room was awful. The smell in both our room and our son's was of old, mildewy,carpet. Febreeze helped very little. The mattresses appeared to be very old and thin. We would have left but our family had driven in from S. Carolina and they were exhausted. This motel definitely needs some remodelling .

Room Tip: Smelly, carpets were stained, mattresses old and flat.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Irvine, California
Reviewed 7 September 2011

This is the review I wrote on a comment card and mailed to the hotel manager:
Quality of hotel is great, but the service from the hotel staff would lead me to not stay here again (except the shuttle driver was great.) 3 different front desk staff each displayed their incompetence & lack of concern for errors made (taxi scheduling (twice!) & locked out of my room.)
I love HI Exp hotels and have been staying at them for years. The hotel manager finally contacted me. I let her know that I was very busy and would try to call back. She never attempted to reach out to me again. I work in Quality Assurance and we encourage our employees to keep calling to ensure that the relationship we have with our clients remains positive. For the manager to stop after 1 attempt and not even offer to rectify the horrible service in some way, just shows how much they really care and where the front desk staff gets their training. I sincerely hope the service has improved since I was there in Jan. 2011.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business