“Best place to stay in Tampa location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #39 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I have stayed at many embassy's throughout the country. This is my favorite. There is much to do in the eve with kids or without. There is the trolly out front with short trip to channel side shops with movie theater and bowling and a trolly stop to ybor city for good dining.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Planetwidetraveler

Reviewed 26 December 2011

My wife, son and I stayed here on a Pre-Cruise. We used the trolley to go into Ybor City and was withing walking distance of many dinning and shopping venues. Very beautiful, walking in the pier area and shops in open courts. We would have stayed here again next month but it seems the prices have gone way up. If money is not a issue and you want a very nice place near cruise port then this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank James K
Reviewed 24 December 2011

My wife and I reserved four nights at the Downtown Tampa Embassy Suites in late September for a national convention. Changes to our travel plans were made that had us traveling into Orlando and spending the first night near Disney, and the remaining three nights as planned at Embassy Suites. All changes were communicated thru the convention center's travel department / housing bureau.

I have gone out of my way to stay at Embassy Suites in the past because I find them to be clean, quiet, pleasant places to stay. This trip itself was no different... and this location was attractive due to its close proximity to the convention center. Note again, we DID STAY three nights at this location and I am an HHonors reward member. But to our surprise when we returned home and received our credit card statement, we were charged for all four nights from the original reservation.

I e-mailed the Embassy Suites customer relations department, and asked them to get involved and disputed the charge via American Express. They sent me a reply stating that because I could not provide the cancellation change #, that I would be charged the full amount due to the hotel's 24-hour cancellation policy. I again e-mailed the customer relations department at the Embassy Suites web site, and never received a reply.

I just reconciled my credit card account, and it galls me to authorize a charge of $290 for a hotel reservation I cancelled a week prior to traveling! I recently reserved a room at a Marriott hotel in Los Angeles for 5 nights and secured the reservation with a credit card. They informed me during the call that cancellation of the entire stay was allowed until 6:00 p.m. the first night of check-in.

I have found Marriot to be comparable with Embassy Suites in quality and price. I will not spend another dollar with Embassy Suites, and I would recommend that business travelers in particular go elsewhere with their lodging needs. The 24-hour cancellation policy of this hotel is neither realistic nor sensible for the business traveler.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Xgm032
Reviewed 24 December 2011

The location of the hotel is ideal, but the rates for the car parking and other amenities are ridiculous.
The 'free' wifi is restricted to the lobby & the wifi in the rooms is overpriced.
Breakfast is adequate and the happy hour are nice features, but little else about the hotel is worth mentioning. Avoid the food at the bar, it's overpriced and not worth the effort.

Room Tip: facing the waterfront
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Billtell
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This stay was terrible! This was an overnight stay that was meant to be a night of romance, but instead was awful. I took my complaint to the manager on duty (Jessica) and was put off and told I had received an upgrade that cost over a hundred dollars; mind you an upgrade I never asked for.

I later informed the front desk staff of my displeasure, to which they offered us a free meal, we had plans so I declined; I instead asked for my $20 valet parking to be waived, which it was.

We went on about our night, and checked out in the morning, with a zero balance folio...just checked my credit card statement, and was floored to see that I was charged for a bottle of water that we never touched.

Let me just say, I will be contacting the general manager about the problems with my stay and a charge for something we did not use. If this matter is not resolved to my satisfaction, you will know about it with another review. If that happens I will go into more detail about my stay and the problems we encountered...until then, let me also say, the hotel is very nice, the staff are all helpful and kind (except for the night manager, Jessica) and the cook to order breakfast was fantastic.

Overall, this is a nice place to stay, I just hope you don't have any issues that you need resolved by the night management.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pickytraveler2011
ESTPA, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that overall you liked the hotel. Please feel free to contact us directly in order to be able to discuss the discrepancy on your bill. We do dtrive to exceed our guest expectatioons and look forward to speaking with you personally to address any concerns you may have.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

Stayed 2 nights to accompany mother while having surgery at Tampa General Hospital. Good location for the short drive to the hospital. Valet parking seemed reasonable for the cost and they got car quickly when needed. Front desk staff was okay...not overly friendly. Found room to be large, clean and comfortable. Shower was fair - needed more water pressure. The hotel is large. We were on the 7th floor, but it appeared to be 20 floors tall. Did not take advantage of manager's reception, but did get breakfast one morning which was nice. There is a Starbucks on the first level also if you like them. I ate at Trolley's twice and received good service both times. Food was good and reasonably priced. Other choices of food are limited unless you walk over to the Marriott or the Channelside area.

Room Tip: The Tampa Bay Lightning play right next door so game nights can be a bit crowded in both the restaur...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sjoyce24

Thank you for your feedback! We hope that the procedures at Tampa General went well and that your mother is healthy again. Please know that your feedback has been taking into consideration and used for continued training. We hope you have the opportunity to come stay with us again and enjoy the different area attractions.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Stayed for 1 night with my husband during recent business trip. Valet parking was a bit congested so we opted for a city garage across the street. Luggage was no problem since we were only there 1 night. Room was excellent as was breakfast. Managers reception was a bit slow could use more staff. Front desk was very helpful and friendly and we just loved our stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B

We are delighted that to opted to join your husband during his business trip and had the opportunity to enjoy yourself and the services we provide. We have taken your feedbackk in to consideration and forwarded it to the Director of Fodd & Beverage for immediate action. We hope to see you again in the near future!