“Great Location, Be Careful of Hidden Extras”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #40 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oxford, MS
“Great Location, Be Careful of Hidden Extras”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We enjoyed a stay at Embassy Suites during a recent convention in Tampa. Location can't be beat if you want to be downtown. Hotel is located just off the bay with the trolley line running right in front of the hotel and also close to the river walk trails. You can take the trolley to downtown and to the Aquarium and restaurants. Large rooms with separate sitting area. Rooms were clean and nice, housekeeping was very good. Many rooms had good bay views. Downstairs restaurant and bar had good selection of food and drinks and the things we tried were very good. Pool is just a wading pool and rather small, but while we were there it was not busy. The pool bar was never open. Elevators could get slow at times. Parking is an extra charge per night. I don't know why hotels just don't reflect that charge in their rates, instead of always making you mad when you get a 2 page bill with all the extra charges. They have a large garage with valet service. The thing that really made me mad was the $15 charge per day for internet service. A crazy idea in this day and time to charge for internet, especially at that rate. The free breakfast was excellent with a good variety of items and also a cook to order area, BUT, the area it is held in is fairly small for the hotel which made it hard to find a seat at times and also a hassle with a big crowd all trying to eat at the same time. Good food, but don't look forward to a quiet relaxed atmosphere while you eat. Next trip we might check out some of the hotels close by, after Embassy adds all their extras, you might come out just as well staying at a different place. I do like staying in this area of town. Still I have to give this hotel 4 stars despite the hassles, we did have a comfortable room and staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Bay side would give you a good view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mart38655

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I was privileged to stay at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa for five nights when I attended a conference at the Tampa Convention Center in June of 2013. I was immediately impressed by the hotel lobby, a spacious and lovely area with fountains and much greenery. We were whisked on a glass elevator to our 11th-floor room, overlooking that same lobby.

During our time at the Embassy Suites, there was much which made for a pleasant stay. The suite was clean, spacious, and well-appointed. We enjoyed watching the NBA finals on the huge TV in the living room area. We had three guys in our suite, so I drew the short straw and slept on the pull-out couch. Though far from luxurious, it was actually one of the most functional pull-out couches I've ever encountered, and I slept decently well each night.

An absolute highlight was the delicious buffet breakfast, which I ate every morning with great glee. The made-to-order omelets were fabulous, but so was the scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, bagels, fresh fruit, and many other such things. The breakfast area was bizarrely crowded, so I actually ate on my lap while sitting on a stone ledge a few times. But the quality of the food made that small inconvenience quite manageable. And there were also complimentary snacks and soda each evening, which was an extra bonus.

The downsides of the hotel were not insignificant. Parking was expensive, and we actually parked our car about eight blocks away over the weekend, where streetside parking was free, to save some money. And I was especially flabbergasted at the wireless internet rate, which was not only $15 per day but only applied to one device. So, the three of us in our room would have had to pay an additional $45 per day to access wireless internet on our three laptops. That sort of expense for such a basic and essential service is unconscionable in 2013. I can get free wifi at McDonald's and Motel 6, but it costs me a small fortune at a classy hotel like the Embassy Suites??!! This should not be.

Other gripes were minor. We sometimes had to wait a few minutes for the overwhelmed elevators, but that was often because hundreds of us were coming back to the hotel from the convention center at the exact same time. Proximity to the convention center was remarkable, as we were actually connected by a skybridge that crossed over the one street that separated the hotel from the convention center. So, we didn't even had to cross traffic on our two minute walk to our meetings. Free newspapers in the lobby were nice, and I was grateful for a free Pack-n-Play for the one night when our baby was with us. And the business center did offer free internet (and free printing), though limited to three computers, which were often occupied by the hundreds of other guests who refused to pay such an exorbitant wireless fee.

If I were coming to the convention center in the future, I'd consider staying at the Embassy Suites again. Proximity and breakfast make it worth serious consideration. But if I were just coming to Tampa, I'd probably look elsewhere, specifically with free parking and free wireless internet as prerequisites to satisfy my preferences. But if those two issues aren't terribly important, I'm happy to recommend the Embassy Suites as a nice place to stay.

Dallas, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Very good location if you have business at the Tampa Convention Center. Otherwise, not a lot to do in downtown Tampa, which obviously isn't Embassy Suites' fault. No major complaints, though I hate that I had to deal with valet parking. The room was clean, though the pillows were too soft. In-room Internet was a rip-off at $15 per night, though at least it worked w/o issues. It was quiet; I was not woken up during the night. My room had two nice flat screen TV, which was crucial since I had a very important hockey game to watch after my business concluded. (Go Blackhawks!)

1 Thank James M
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The usual two room suite which is excellent. Nicely furnished and clean. Helpful staff. If you are going to an event at the Convention Center this is great as there is an elevated walkway to the center. The price was reasonable, at least at the convention rate.

Would have been 5 rating, but the in-house restaurant/bar is very limited. The food is good however and we ate there twice for the convenience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
VA
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June 2013. They gave us adjoining rooms, as well as a corner king, which was much larger and nicer than the typical Embassy Suites room. This hotel is newer than many Embassy Suites, though it does maintain the atrium style. It has many floors, but is extremely narrow - making it slightly scary when looking down from your upper floor hotel room. Recommend staying on a low floor if you have a fear of heights. The third floor pool is small, but nice for relaxing as it has jets - they call it a spa/swim pool. Temperature was great. Breakfast was standard Embassy Suites fare, no Belgian waffles to my family's dismay. Manager's reception has chips, pretzels, and dips. Location is wonderful; great view of the river walk and super close to the airport. Hotel connects to the convention center. We could see the cable car from our window, but didn't have time to give it a try to see the rest of downtown Tampa. Only negative would be that the room was not cleaned until late in the afternoon (e.g., we left for the day and came back; the room was not done; we had to call the front desk to get this done).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Whitinsville, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Excellent hotel in downtown Tampa. Good value for the price. Beautiful lobby and amenities. Next door to the convention center, this hotel is very convenient for business travelers. Excellent staff that are friendly and willing to address any questions guests may have. Rooms are clean and fresh. Beautiful views! It is a great value in the heart of the city.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 11 October 2014
Dear Zenaida B,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am very pleased to read that your expectations were exceeded and to learn that our staff treated you well and you were happy with your accommodations.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again in the near future.
Best Regards,
Jason Bowers
cooksville, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our view from our hotel was very pictoric. My children totally enjoyed the breakfast, having 4 kids they had a lot to choice from. even though we had a car the public transportation was just outside the hotel. Only issue was that it's start run was after 12 noon. This is one place we plan to return to.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family