“Convenient after a long flight”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #39 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We used this hotel after flying in from London .It is approximately 4 miles from the airport and easy to find .Valet parking on arrival was very welcome .We were greeted as expected guests and shown to our room promptly .Just managed to squeeze in a very welcome complimentary G and T during happy hour .Room service was prompt and tasty .As we had been travelling all day we just wanted a light bite so chose from the children's menu which when it arrived was ample .Could hear some noise during the evening when some other guests were shouting across the balconies to each other ,not taking anyone else into consideration but once in the bedroom it was quiet .Bed very comfortable .Appreciated the tea and coffee making facilities when we woke early due to jet lag .Good breakfast with excellent omelettes for breakfast before heading South down to the house we were renting in Naples .

Room Tip: We had a room on the 8th floor over looking the Convention Centre so had a good view .
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear dizzyfizzy45,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit.
Jason Bowers

Write a ReviewReviews (2,092)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

As season ticket holders for the Tampa Bay Lightning we treated ourselves to an overnight stay for the Billy Joel concert on Friday 1/17/2014.

Checking in was smooth considering the lobby was absolutely packed with people! The Embassy provided us with a nice big spacious room, although outdated, it was comfortable. Good climate control, 2-flat screen TV's and a clock radio with iPod wire in place. It was a semi-clean room (stains on older carpet, used complimentary lotion (left from previous guest I guess) was making us ask what was actually clean and not clean as the room didn't smell fresh at all. Our toilet was temperamental when it came to flushing. We tried the shower 4-times over the course of our 1-night stay - afternoon, evening (twice), and morning and water was never hot, only luke-warm, which is unacceptable in any hotel, especially one this expensive. Very slow elevators as other reviews on here have stated, and I mean SLOW - so we hiked up/down the 6-floors rather than wait for 10-minutes each time. Not a problem, we're not lazy, but if you're way up past there, it could be brutal. Of course while hiking up those stairs, we got to see the same disgusting food wrappers, drink cups, spilled beverages and a big ol' rat trap several times in those stairwells. Nothing was cleaned in that area in the 24-hour period that we stayed, same stuff there every time we used the stairs, with some additional trash as well.

While checking out, we were asked "how was everything" and I stated it was pretty good, but not having hot water was upsetting. No answer was offered - as if I didn't say a word. When people ask "how was everything", is it too much to request they actually listen to HOW EVERYTHING WAS? This happens at most hotels, not just here. The Valet was busy, so it took some time getting our car, but that's usually expected, and it arrived with the seat all re-adjusted for the Valet. I mean it was way up, recline as adjusted too. Unacceptable.

Are these issues huge? No. But for close to $250.00 hard earned dollars of my money we won't be back. There are far too many hotels out there for much less money or others in the same price range (Marriott) that are much more on top of their game. I still give this hotel a "satisfactory" and 3-stars, but no way is it a "very good" 4-star hotel in my opinion.

One hot shower might have helped this review, but we never got one.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Francis H

Dear Francis H,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with the room condition, elevator wait, and lack of hot water.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. I would therefore hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Tampa.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Had a short stay--one night-- in mid-November. Hotel seems to be well managed with efficient check in and out. The rooms are spacious, great if you have a family. Also good for business as there is plenty of room to spread out and work. Enjoyed the modern decor, but found the section of the suite with the living room to be dreary, and the upholstery and carpet were worn. Odd that the other two areas of the suite weren't like that at all. Maybe they were only partially remodeled?
The hotel is within easy walking distance of the convention center and other downtown attractions, also very close to the airport. This was my first time in Tampa--didn't realize how close everything was.
The breakfast is really good--the made to order omelets are excellent. They offer a variety of choices, and the cook is polite for a change. There's pretty much everything that you could ask for available and it's fresh, which makes the room a great deal, even if you do have to pay for parking.
The only disappointment had nothing to do with the hotel; we were looking for an interesting bar/club after dinner, but couldn't find anything close by. We had dinner in Ybor City; I recommend trying one of the establishments there before heading back to the hotel. I saw several options with eclectic character.
Overall a pleasant, quick stay.
One caution: my GPS had problems finding the hotel. I would have been better off following the Mapquest directions. I had to stop and ask someone on the street to point out the correct building.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear aggy12,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am very pleased to learn that our staff treated you well and you were happy with your accommodations.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed one night before our cruise on 01/04/14 and were helped by Lindsay at the front desk. Very knowledgeable young woman, she provided us with a phone number to contact the Shuttle to the Cruise port, it was a $5.00 fee, very inexpensive. With a Voucher for the free breakfast and explained about their happy hour, with some very good drinks that were made by two of their bartenders and they were Free. The property itself is beautiful and had a warmth all its own. My husband said he wished he could of packed the mattress in his suitcase he was that impressed with the bed, I have to agree. I slept like a baby. Their full breakfast was very good and it included omelettes made to order, what could be better. The hotel is situated downtown and is in a very clean area of Tampa, FL. Tampa also impressed me. This Embassy Suites, is the creme de la creme as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CapitanaSpanky
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear CapitanaSpanky,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Lindsay was helpful! I will be sure to share your comments with her. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back this way.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

The staff at this hotel was very much equip to hand a medical emergency. I was very impressed with the hotel emergency staff as he provided first aid. I would recommend that you do expect to much from this hotel as the room could use a little upgrading.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Donald C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown on TripAdvisor and for choosing to spend your time with us. I am very happy to read our staff was able to assist you during the emergency you experienced while at the hotel.
I do hope you will be returning to visit us again; we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We arrived from having stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay overnight and found the outside of the hotel to be impressive. On entering the foyer it was nice but not as pleasant or as large as the photos from the website,portrayed. The receptionist on duty was Latasha and she was a treasure. She was lovely and pleasant and was so helpful and made us feel very welcome and was this way for the whole of our 23 night stay. Everything we asked her she was very knowledgable and very keen to assist two newcomers to Tampa. We were allocated an end room on 19th floor which was fine for me as I am doing well getting over vertigo. On entering the room i was a little disappointed as my room in the grand Hyatt was larger than the two rooms combined and the decor was brown. Brown wardrobes , brown carpets and furniture with creamy white. All lighting is by lamps. There is a mini fridge a small sink and a coffee machine and a microwave. No cutlery other than for the coffee machine. The fridge was a bit of a nuisance as it froze all of our food that we purchased however the reception sent a maintenance man immediately to turn the fridge,down. It was turned down but still froze all our produce so we just stopped storing food in it but always had a cold drink,to hand. Nothing too serious! One of the beds had a very creaky base and so made a lot of noise but probably due to age. There is a blue wall in the bedroom but I just saw brown. I think a serious update on colour would make these rooms very appealing brown is not the most welcoming or appealing of decor. Anyway it was nice to have the split rooms. The coffee in the room is wonderful and could not get enough of it. The person that was complaining about not being offered free coffee after 1900 hours obviously had not been aware of the free coffee he could make in his room! The breakfast offered is wonderful if you like omelettes I tried them once and they were very good and my admiration goes to the chefs who can run three omelet pans in one go, well done. Bagels, muffins and various versions of bread offered white, brown and grain ( not great quality as has a smell of long life bread smelling of vinegar) fruit, pancakes, hot plate of sausage,potato, eggs and bacon. Reasonable selection. There is also juice and coffee. I think the coffee was the worst I ever had but I was able to make up for this by having one of the wonderful coffees in my room.
The hotel has a drink reception which we did not attend as we were usually away for the day. This hotel prior to Christmas clientele was mainly business people and was a very relaxed and lovely atmosphere. Then the festive season saw more leisure clientele and then it became a lot noisier and bustling. The hotel has a small pool and a small gym, a bar, laundry and a Starbucks not really a place for children as space is limited. Therefore you can hear children screaming and running up and down the floors and for people staying in the hotel the noise can be heard clearly. The breakfast is served in the foyer area and the smell of oil and cooking eggs rise up to the top of the building and wonder of this hotel has ever thought to create a true restaurant that can cope with the capacity or at least a very strong extractor fans. The smell was the main reason we did not attend breakfast everyday.
This hotel is a great location for the Forum and for this reason alone we ended up attending the Jingle ball with Miley Cyrus etc (fantastic) and three ice hockey games - now great fans of no 26 St. Louis - go Bolts!
When the hotel is really busy the noise from the foyer echoes to the top floors and it then sounds like a weird vibration noise that is not pleasant but again I think that is the to do with fact that the foyer is used as a restaurant. The elevators are a problem when hotel is busy and would be wonderful if they could install an express lift for floors 10 and above. I walked down from the 19th floor on,occasion as got fed up,waiting for it. Good exercise! Going up not so keen. Valet cannot comment on as do not drive.
The above are comments on my experiences of this hotel but the biggest problem we had was with housekeeping. So poor! We tidied up the majority of the time ourselves,beds and bathroom and even had the bins put out,ready for collection but I ended up having to request the reception to get the cleaner to do her job properly. The next day the room was amazingly clean so thank you.
I would also like to point out that Latasha and Colleen (or,Collette) were lovely members of staff and made our holiday however when other reviews have said the reception staff were unfriendly I did not agree until I asked a worker called Kristian working at reception about the internet and he was so rude and ignorant and was surprised as this was the first time we had encountered this sort of customer service. On the night before our departure,we went to reception to pick up some sugar and found Latasha on duty and wanted to say a fond farewell to her and thank her for making us so welcome. As she,is talking to us Kristian interrupted our conversation without any apology and made us move. I found out,later,that this person is,the Assistant Manager of the reception. Again such an ignorant and seriously needs customer service training. So imagine someone acting like that and feel a little sympathy,for the staff that has to work for such an ignorant person. So thank you,Latasha, April, Colleen and Kris for being friendly and welcoming.
For the price I felt I had good value and was a reasonable hotel and would return again if in the area and something was on the Forum.

Room Tip: Room 1915 high views of downtown Tampa and freeway but noise isn't apparent. Also views of Ybor...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tallulah235

Dear Tallulah235,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown for your recent visit. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel as well as the location and I appreciate you taking the time to recommend your experience on TripAdvisor for these reasons. I am happy you had a such a great experience interacting with our staff. We look forward to welcoming your return.

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

no free wifi
no free shuttle to airport
no free coffee after 11:00 am
no free parking
lots of $$$$$ for what you get
they do have a room & breakfast
we will not stay here again when there are many better choices for the money they charge for little services rendered

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank RangeRoverTD6
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

We appreciate your comments regarding our amenities and your suggestions on what you would like to see offered. We always try to keep costs fair while providing excellent service and accommodations. We'll keep your comments in mind as we strive to meet guests' needs.

Kind regards,