“Hotel With a Great Location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #42 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oxford, Mississippi
“Hotel With a Great Location”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

In Tampa to attend meetings at downtown convention center and found the Embassy Suites to be very convenient with an elevated walkway to the convention center. Valet parking was simple and quick both on arrival and departure. Hotel check-in was fast and efficient and we were in our room with no issues. Room clean and fresh. Of course, the complimentary breakfast and the evening reception were both well done! Location on the water with great walking opportunities! No complaints and definitely would recommend staying here!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Joe M,
I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown. Thank you for sharing your favorite aspects and for acknowledging our efforts to ensure no detail is missed in regards to making your stay comfortable.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family's return in the near future.
Jason Bowers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I drove over from Melbourne Bch, to catch a hockey match. My wife is a huge Red Wings fan (From Sweden) and most of the wings are from Sweden. Anyway, the choice was between the Marriott and Embassy Suites. This choice was based on just an overnight place to stay, to avoid driving 2.5 hours back home. The Embassy Suites was ~ $30.00 less expensive than the Marriott, and was the same distance away from the rink. Check–in was smooth, however; there was only another couple in line. I did notice that about a ½ hr., later, there were about 10 people in line, and still only one clerk. The clerk was friendly, and very helpful. It was raining when we arrived, and I jokingly asked him if they rented out umbrella, and he handed us two free umbrellas from behind the desk! When we arrived to the room, I noticed that there was no Wi-Fi. I called downstairs, and was given a coupon code/password, so I could have Wi-Fi free for the night. The room itself was huge, a little outdated, but clean!
We walked across the street to the Marriott where friends were staying, and the place was packed. I checked out the rooms, and they were smaller, but really nice. We also heard that the visiting teams stay at the Marriott, and the RedWing Players were walking around the lobby. My wife would have loved that!!! What we liked the most was that you could literally walk back to the hotel in between periods, and not miss a thing. The hotel is that close. What we did not like is that the bar closed really early, Midnight I think, and they didn’t really have any munchies. Also, no one likes to pay $20 bucks for parking!

Anyway, if I were staying for more than two nights, I would stay at the Marriott, otherwise, this hotel was perfect for a one night hockey stay!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear stratthewaterrat,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown for your recent visit. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel as well as the location and I appreciate you taking the time to recommend your experience on TripAdvisor for these reasons.
Sarasota, FL, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This hotel is a joke. You pay nearly $200 a night and they don't provide free wifi. On top of that, they charge more than $20 a day to park your car, and if you don't leave by 2:00 p.m. the charge you an additional $13.00 in parking.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Daniel D,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I respect your candor. We strive for personalized experience for each of our guests, actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for comfort and convenience. I appreciate your review regarding parking costs and will take this opportunity to reevaluate our offerings. We hope we'll have another chance to serve you, should your business travels bring you back to our area.

Kind regards,
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 26 February 2014

great location for a Lightning game, nice walking paths. Good restaurants within walking distance too. Able to walk to the marina (couple of blocks).

We stayed in a corner suite on the 18th floor. Absolute bliss. Very quiet- away from the elevator, beds were nice, linens good, and CLEAN. Housekeeping was great. Room had a wonderful view of the canal and the Hockey Rink. Wouldn't stay this high up with small children....looking down to the lobby, even with railings made me nervous.

Breakfast was very good, and was a good value. Happy hour was decent too. Wine was mediocre, but who can complain about free cocktails??

Would stay here again for a convention.

Room Tip: corner suites on high floors for quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear ABurns,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am very pleased to read that your expectations were exceeded and to learn that our staff treated you well and you were happy with your accommodations.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again in the near future.
Riverview, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Great hotel location, but skip the restaurant...food is awful. Hotel staff is freindly, and even though we had to make multiple calls to the front desk to get a crib delivered it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Erik S,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed the comfort of your room and location. I am also happy to read you regard the service you received as excellent. I was of course concerned to learn that your experience in Trolleys left you to feel disappointed.

I appreciate you sharing your feedback as we welcome constructive comments as an opportunity to improve our facility and services. I do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel and trust you will find an improvement upon your next stay.
Maryland
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is the perfect location if you have a conference in the conference center. There is a walkway that connects the two. By far, this hotel has the most comprehensive inclusive breakfast. The rooms were very nice and clean and staff were always pleasant. One recommendation I would make is that more staff be present at the front desk when large conventions are in town.

Room Tip: If you want a view of either the water or of Tampa, request a room above the 5th floor. View of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear MarylandMiranda,
I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown. Thank you for sharing your favorite aspects on Tripadvisor.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return in the near future.
Chicago
Reviewed 20 February 2014

When our flight to Chicago was canceled due to weather, we were stranded overnight in Tampa. We wanted to stay downtown instead of staying by the airport, so I used 50,000 Hilton HHonors points to book at night in the Embassy Suites downtown/convention center location. We did not have time to research everything in the area beforehand since we had just gotten stranded, but we assumed downtown is a decent spot to be.

Overall, we were fine with the room and staff. We received a 16th-floor room. This was my first stay in an Embassy suites - I liked the fact that there is a small living room with a separate desk/tv area, so you can get work done if you need to without disturbing any other guests. I also liked that the elevators were glass so you could see where you were going. Check in and check out were fast and easy. There is also a breakfast buffet that is included, which in this case was surprisingly good. They even had a made-to-order omelet station. There is also a free happy hour from 5:30-7:30, which we did not take advantage of.

The main thing we were disappointed with was the location. Although it is downtown, it is next to the convention center, and there are not a ton of interesting nearby things within walking distance. One plus is that there is a trolley stop right out front, which can take you to the Ybor City area in about 20 minutes, where a lot of the good stuff is.

I was also a little disappointed that my Hilton gold status didn't get us much of anything. We received two cans of diet coke (not sure if everybody gets these?) and a voucher for "premium" seating at the breakfast buffet. The premium seating was actually a farther walk from the normal seating and was not any real worthwhile benefit.

The main problem was probably that we didn't have enough time to research this stay since it was last minute. But in retrospect I would have rather stayed in Ybor City, where there are also other Hilton spots, such as a Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn. 50,000 points seemed like a steep price to pay for this convention center location, although if you were going to a convention it would obviously be perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Dave Z,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown on TripAdvisor and for choosing to spend your time with us. I am very happy to read you enjoyed the service you received as well as our facilities.