“Still waiting to hear from a manger or the GM”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #40 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Still waiting to hear from a manger or the GM”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I just completed a stay at this property over 4th of July weekend. Let me start by saying that I called prior to making a reservation to ensure the room I was booking would give me a view of the fireworks. I was told by the lady at the front desk that indeed it would. I booked a room with a balcony (one of three in the hotel). After a few days, I decided to contact Mr. Jason Bowers the front office manager who does a fantastic job of answering trip advisor reviews, but fails to respond to emails. He still hasn’t responded to mine. Guess being a Diamond member really has it’s benefits at Hilton, huh? Anyway after emailing Jason and getting no response, I thought it was only right to fwd my email to Mr. Jeff Weinthaler, the hotel GM. Guess what, no response, and still to this date, no response. I even left a message for him with Karen and still didn’t get a call back. Finally speaking to Lindsay, I was told that I indeed would not be able to see any fireworks, as the room I was told would view them is on the other side of the hotel and faces the wrong direction from where they are. I was offered the option to change rooms and give up a balcony. If I would have been told this when I booked, I would have likely not stayed.

Check in was nice and easy. Taylor was great and had me up in no time. Sonny the bellman was great as well. Was handed an amenity, as opposed to it being in the room, but I’m not picky about things like that. Just caught me off guard.

Room was very nice. Not huge for a suite, but the balcony was a nice touch, even though it wasn’t the view I had expected. No awning over the balcony, so when it rains, it’s useless.

Breakfast was average; getting to sit in the restaurant as opposed to out in the lobby was a nice touch. It is very crowded and cafeteria style. There were so many people there, people were sitting on the fountain holding trays on their laps.

Starbucks in the hotel is a nice touch as the coffee is pretty bad.

The valet at 24 dollars has to be the worst I’ve ever seen. It takes between 15-30 minutes to get your car dropped off. On the last night, it rained so hard that the valet had us get out of our car, just to tell us to pull into the garage. Then after pulling into the garage, took another 20 minutes for someone to take the car. Getting the car wasn’t bad, calling ahead helped.

As we were leaving, I called for a bell man to come help with the bags, only to get a call asking if I was ready. Wasn’t that the point of my original call?

Overall, I expected a lot more then I got for what was paid. I understand Embassy Suites has a satisfaction guarantee. Let’s see if Mr. Bowers or Mr. Winethaler get a hold of me to discuss this in the future?

Room Tip: Higher floors give a nice view, but elevator rides can get long.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear KSF_TravelinFools,
Again I wanted to extend our apologies for the miscommunication and I am glad we were able to connect and resolve the outstanding issues regarding your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again one day.
Jason Bowers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a great time while staying at this hotel! Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. We stayed here for the couple days we had before our cruise but we never expected it to be this great of a stay. Sammy the bellman was especially great! He definitely was a huge reason why we loved staying at this hotel so much. He helped us whenever we needed and he was very knowledgeable about the area. The area does lack enough good restaurants near the area but it was definitely manageable.
Overall we left happy and content with our stay at the Embassy Suites! I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends in the future.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear RamSoms
Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for your recommendation on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your kind appraisal of "Sammy the Bellman" and our service team in this regard. I will certainly share your feedback with my team as I am sure they will be equally pleased. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the very near future.
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Had an AC issue and their first attempt was to bring me a fan, after a miserable night of sleep complained again and later the next night moved to a room with a better AC. Their explaination was i ws in a green room and the AC only comes on at night ( so i guess when you sleep no AC).
Staff should have moved me as soon as I had an issue and their review would probably be favorably....

Room Tip: do not get a green room ask for sheets with less starch , itched all night
Green Features: Green is good but the guest must still be comfortable
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear michael G,
We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. As our guest, we want you to feel comfortable and have an enjoyable night's sleep. We've passed on your comments to the appropriate members of our team. We hope you'll consider giving us another chance to demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

First impression, you are greeted with a welcoming smile by the valet ($24-25 parking for your stay). Front desk was very nice and we had no problems checking in. They even gave us complimentary wifi. Suite was very nice with a great view of the soccer stadium and other building within the downtown area. Swimming pool (lap pool) is outdoors and it is on the 3rd floor - where the fitness area is as well. They provide towels for both areas. The only downfall is the happy hour time where they served chips/tortilla chips and dip with your complimentary drink. Our dinner was at the hotel and it was not bad at all. They have a great variety which comes with a hefty price, but was delicious! Breakfast is hot with an omelet station and the works! It was very nice to start the day with. If we are to go back to Tampa, we will definitely stay there again! You will certainly not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Suites with view is great but not necessary.
Green Features: Always greeted with a smile! You have to pay for parking but it is worth it! Decor is nice. Overall- great feeling.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear 4Smiles,
Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for your recommendation on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your kind appraisal of our service team in this regard. I will certainly share your feedback with my team as I am sure they will be equally pleased. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.
Best Regards,
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The entire 4th floor AC was broken and my room was miserably hot. I complained on the first night and a maintenance guy came up, but did not fix problem. The next day, the front desk sent maintenance up twice, but the temp. In the room didn't change. I insisted on a new room. After moving to the 17th floor, I was satisfied with that room. The staff was very nice, but I asked to speak to the GM on day two of a three day stay and even left my card, and he has not contacted me. I would recommend staying away from this hotel. The management cares more about responding to bad reviews on this site than repairing their hotel and making guests comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Shannon N
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. It is of course with great concern that I have learned that we did not meet your expectations on more than one occasion during your recent stay.

I welcome you to contact us directly by calling the hotel at 813.789.8300 and asking for my office or the manager on duty so that we may fully investigate your experience. I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this hotel through pricelines name-your-own. This hotel was great! I thought we were going to have a king room, but we had a suite! It was such a great surprise. There were free drinks every night, and a great breakfast. We stayed here because we were taking a cruise out of Tampa. This hotel is close to shopping, restaurants, the aquarium and the cruise terminal. Would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DanielB19,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown on TripAdvisor and for choosing to spend your time with us. I am very happy to read you enjoyed the service you received and your spacious 2 room suite.

I do hope you will be returning to visit us again; we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
Belton, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I loved this hotel!! I felt like I was in luxury. The full breakfast was excellent and this hotel reminded me of a hotel I stayed in when I was in the Bahamas. The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. The hotel was also in walking distance to the famous "Jackson's Restaurant" on the water. The hotel also had a Trolley/Tram that ran right in front of the hotel that would take you to downtown areas. It was great! Very Clean Rooms. The only complaint I had was that the toilet kept water kept running for a long time after you flush. No leaks but noise was a little irritating. Other than that, this was an excellent stay! I would recommend anyone stay here. If I came back to Tampa I would definitely want to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear tipobserver
Thank you kindly for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am happy to read you enjoyed so many aspects of our property and that your experience was close to perfect. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.