“A cheap stay and nice”

Ranked #88 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Ontario, Canada
“A cheap stay and nice”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We just got back from a weeks stay at the Baymont near Busch Gardens. It was a cheap stay at just over $400 for the week. The hotel isn't a 4 or 5 star but it is nice. Our room was large enough to accommodate the 6 of us. We received a continental breakfast every morning, the food was always the same but good and plentiful. The pool was heated and treat for my kids who took advantage and swam every day despite the cooler weather. Like I say it is not at all fancy but it was clean, had a nice staff, a decent breakfast, a good location and it's cheap so really what is there to complain about.

1 Thank sherslad2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I agree with some other reviewers, great location if you visit Busch gardens, but that's where the positive part ends. The welcome was poor by the check in team so first impression was not great but I thought hey, maybe they're having a bad day so I didn't dwell on it.
When we got to the room at first I thought it was ok, however, soon discovered a bad smell. We couldn't work out if it was the aircon smelling or the soft furnishings. After a short while we worked out it was both. The a/c was pumping out a musty damp smell and the sofa smelled like a rat had you know what on it! The beds were ok although my 9 yr old daughter was very reluctant to sleep in it, said it smelled bad too. As it was only the 1 night we were there I told her its the sofa or the bed and she will have to choose; she chose the bed!!
The lasting memory was the breakfast, for me the worst ever. There was a one member of staff who was the most inanimate person I have come across in the states. I asked him where the cutlery was and he simply stared through me and walked past. After that I could see it was a quick in and out job as I found the disposable cutlery, oh, and plates, napkins, cups.....all plastic and styrofoam, pure class!
Well, they do say you get what you paid for. The rooms need gutting and cleaning which is a management and funding issue. The poor attitude of the staff however can be changed as it is usually these persons who can change a bad situation. I guess they are probably poorly paid and therefore have a don't give a .... Attitude. Sad as it could be a nice place to stay and should get plenty of business from B gardens. My advice would be if you can avoid it, do!

Room Tip: My tip for a good room - choose another hotel 😉
Legal, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2013

This hotel was so inexpensive there had to be something wrong. We only needed a place to stay for one night in Tampa. It was really close to Busch Gardens. The room was comfortable for the 6 of us and for the price we could not complain. Breakfast was great. The pool was warm and enjoyable. Other than getting a bit of a run around for the necessary pillows and blanket for the hide-a-bed, we all settled in.

At midnight there seemed to be a helicopter that continually circled the area for about 30 minutes. Then we got a call that the police were coming to our door but our vehicle did not have any damage. Apparently it was a case of the wrong room and our vehicle was fine but two other people that night that I heard of had issues with vehicle damage.

The hotel felt safe but I am not sure I would want to leave a vehicle in their parking lots for another night.

1 Thank JeannieSmallTown
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 3 January 2013

If you can get this hotel for a very low price... grab it. Very close to Busch Gardens, so it's very easy to take a mid day break and return to the hotel for a few hours. Short rides to Raymond James, airport, Ybor City. Not a bad neighborhood. Very tight with towels, pliiows,etc

Room was fairly clean, but sofa and chairs need to be replaced now!

Be sure to lock the front window.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Sebastian, Florida
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We were a little leery of this hotel because of some of the reviews but decided to "roll the dice" because of the great price. We were pleasantly surprised. Debra at the front desk was great at checkin. We were missing a TV remote and were short towels and she made sure we had both right away. One of the Pros of the hotel, in addition to the price, is the closeness to Busch Gardens. A quick and easy drive. One of the cons was the fact that the shuttle van didnt leave until 10:00 to take you to the park which is way too late if you want to ride Cheetah Hunt. So you will have to drive and pay the $15 to park. We thought breakfast was adequate for the price. Plenty to eat and well stocked. We had a king suite but the sofa bed for our two teenage girls was terrible. Thin old mattress. But our king bed was wonderful. We didn't use the pool because it was way too cold for we Floridians but people did swim so it mustve been heated sufficiently (or else they were all part of the Polar Bear Club). All in all a great family hotel for the money if youre in Tampa for busch Gardens

• Stayed December 2012