“Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”

Baymont Inn & Suites Tampa Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #87 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa
“Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My first impression of this place was that it looked promising. My family and I checked in at night and the lady at the front desk was very amicable and welcoming. The hotel seemed safe, because to enter there was a safety door and then our normal room door which was opened by a key. Then once we entered, my perception changed. First of all the elevator seemed as if it would break down and when the door opened when we got to the second floor (where our room was) the elevator was still moving a little bit. Then as we were trying to find our room there was a sketchy guest that just sat in the middle of the hallway at like 10pm just watching people. He was still there the next morning. When we entered our room it appeared very nice and clean. We went to sleep on the most uncomfortable beds that we have ever experienced. We were in a room that had a door connected to another room for people traveling that needed multiple rooms. My family was all in one room and the joining door in our hotel room looked broken. It was locked and closed but the door itself was protruding out of the door frame and because of this the bolt would not close all the way.
Then we started noticing this absolutely disgusting smell emitting from the sink that smelled as if something died in the pipes or like a sewage smell.
No one came to clean the room until our 5th day of stay (our stay was for 7 days). We found nail clippings in the corner of the room next to the bed that were not from anyone in our family. The comforters had stains on them which we noticed the 2nd night of our stay. They looked redish brown, and I'm not saying for sure but it looked like a blood stain. So we called the front desk and they made us go to the front desk to get a new comforter, which is absolutely crazy, and on top of that they didn't have one there so the lady at the front desk gave is sheets. so we had to sleep on sheets for that night. We called again asking for comforters the next night and finally someone brought some up for us. But big surprise, they had stains on them too! Finally on the 5th day my sister called the front desk in the morning saying no one had come to clean our room during our entire stay and we were hoping that by the time we get back from our plans for the day that someone would have cleaned our rooms for us. They assured us they were sending someone immediately to clean our room. So when we get back what a shock to see that still no one had come to clean our room. Immediately my sister called the front desk and complained. Finally someone came and cleaned our room giving excuses as to why she hadn't come yet. So she, while cleaning our room, noticed that disgusting smell coming from the sink and said she would notify her supervisor. Of course no one came. Some day before we had already called the front desk complaining about this smell and they said maintenance would stop by our room but no one did.
One day, I believe the fourth day of our stay, we came back after 6 or 7 hours out of the room to our room door being open with the bolt being in position between the door frame and the door like the house keepers leave it while cleaning. Our room was not cleaned. But we found a note on the desk saying due to things on your bed we couldn't make the bed. The front desk lady, her name was Erika, came to our room and gave us a huge rant about how unacceptable this was and how she was going to file a complaint/report and she knows exactly who did this. She took the note that was left on the table and left. The next morning my sister went to check I anything was done and nothing was filed. There was no complaint and eventually we ended up getting only a 2 day refund.
This incident was probably the worst of our stay. Some other things that went wrong were that the wifi did not work, we had to hunt down someone for toilet paper and towels, the employees of this place were lazy, inconsistent, and liars. But they would be nice to your face. The keys randomly stopped working twice. And the pool area looked nice but the same group of people would always occupy the space and dance around. Creepy men would stare at my sister, my mom and I and hit on us.
When people are on vacation they expect complete relaxation but staying in this atrocious hotel made this vacation so stressful and honestly scary. It was disgusting, hated everything about it so much so that I took the time to post this long review. I will make sure that I will never go back there and that no one I know will ever stay in such an atrocious hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank NandiniA19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Kewaskum, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I used points to get my stay at this hotel-so I was pretty much stuck with it. Got in late at the airport-very tired-couldn't get my points back-so I stayed anyway. The carpet was so dirty that I never walked on it barefoot-or in my socks! The sofa was dirty-had black greasy dirt on the arms of it. The sheets were clean-and so was the bathroom-but that's it-the place needs updating and basic cleaning bad! When I went down to the breakfast room-the windows were all dirty-kids fingerprints everywhere-had NOT been cleaned in a very long time! There is NO excuse you can give me for basic cleanliness-if the carpet is old-have it professionally cleaned. The bedspreads looked 20 years old-yuck!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a very good experience. Erika, in the front office, was so accommodating in giving us directions. We had trouble with the room safe, and it was taken care of immediately. We were close to Ybor City restaurants, USF Campus (graduations), and many types of food places.
The suites are great because they have a sink, fridge, microwave, coffee maker.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Near the elevator
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was hands down the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at. Please DO NOT come here.

Let me start off with the room when we walked. I stayed here with my family for 1 week. When we walked in there was this horrible sewage/death smell, after a day or two we realized that it was coming from the sink. The smell was incredibly putrid and made me sick to be around. We told the maid and she said she would get a maintenance guy on it and no one ever came to the room. We told the hotel about this 3 times and each time they would act concerned but no one would do anything about it. Moving right along. The bedroom had toenail clippings on the floor, which were NOT from us. The comforters had dried brown stains on them and the wifi did not work.

The 7 nights we stayed there a housekeeper only came in once to clean after we complained that no one has come in 5 days. We had to chase someone down to get our trash and give us toilet paper and to change our comforters. (The new ones also had stains). To top it all off one day we came back to the hotel after being away for 7 hours and our room was OPEN. We immediately called the manager and she gave us a whole dialogue about how this was not acceptable and how she would reprimand the housekeeper and how she would immediately write up a complaint. When I went down the next morning to see what had been worked on, no complaint was ever filed, there wasn't even so much as a note on the file of what happened. I demanded we get some compensation back and we ended up getting just 2 nights back.

We called and complained about the room and the hotel services numerous times and only got 1 person to come to our room. We even called about the wifi and they said they would be sending someone and no one ever showed up.

On top of that the guests did not make me and my family feel comfortable. Every time my sisters and I would go out we would get strange guys hitting on us and asking if we could talk. We couldn't even go down to the pool area (which seemed nice from a far) because the same family occupied the pool and bar area every night playing loud music and dancing around like it was their own personal club.

All in all this place was absolutely grotesque and its employees and managers were rude and unprofessional. I will never ever be coming back and I will make sure no one I know comes back either.

Room Tip: Do not come here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Payal12014
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We checked in on Friday evening and checked out on Sunday morning.
All of the employees were very nice and helpful. The room was clean and it looks as though they are renovating the property. There were only a couple of items that I had issues with. The first was the pull out bed, which was very uncomfortable. I was travelling with my daughter and her friend and thank goodness I had a king size bed, because they both ended up sleeping in it with me. The only other thing was that there were some stains on the comforter, although the bed was very, very comfortable. Other than that, the cost of the room was great and the hotel's proximity to Busch Gardens was fantastic. I didn't find out until we were checking out that there was shuttle service to and from the park and that it was an on-call service that runs until 11 pm. What a wonderful convenience! I will definitely be staying here again the next time we head over to Tampa.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family