“Great pub atmospere, awesome food”

O'Brien's Irish Pub
Ranked #567 of 2,477 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Slowly but surely, my DW and I are checking out all the food serving pubs along the north Dale Mabry corridor. This past Friday night, we visited Obrien's in Carrollwood (set back from the road, behind the new Cigar City Brewing Co).

Obrien's has a great pub ambiance, think lots of wood and Irish trimmings. The place is very clean (it helps that it is still relatively new). Though we were there relatively early (5:00ish), the place had a nice crowd. It was pretty much filled as we were leaving.

Menu has all of the traditional pub eats, plus a nice selection of unique offerings. We played it safe on our first visit and started with an order of wings (always a good pub food comparison tool). The wings were excellent, jumbo sized with nice crispy skin. They were sauced perfectly although I would note that the "hot" level of sauce was probably closer to a "medium". Very tasty. My DW ordered a cheeseburger w/fries (the obvious next great comparison food). It came cooked a perfect medium and was very juicy. Fries were the large steak variety and were very hot (my DW is very peevish about cold fries - these certainly passed her temp test). I ordered the fried Mac & Cheese entrée (certainly sounded intriguing). The deal here is that squares of baked Mac & Cheese are panko breaded and then deep-fried. It tasted every bit as good as it sounds. The 3 squares had a crispy outside coating but were very creamy/cheesy on the inside. This entrée really works. This would also be an awesome appetizer for table sharing.

Service throughout the meal was excellent.

If you are looking for a nice neighborhood pub in the Carrollwood area, give Obrien's a try. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This pub features a lot of Irish recipes on it's menu. I ordered the fried pickles appetizer and the fish and chips, as well as a couple of pints of beer when I visited. We sat at the bar as it was afternoon on a Friday and the restaurant/pub was not very busy. The service was excellent, however there seemed to be a delay on the appetizer as our meal came before it arrived. The bartender was very efficient and did mention something about a fryer problem in the kitchen. Overall the experience was a good one and I would return again the next time I am visiting my friend in the Tampa area.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch. There are many items on the menu to accommodate all tastes. The server was great. The food was served quickly - was hot and was very reasonably priced - especially for the portions served. Definitely worth a return trip when we are in the area.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stopped in to have a pint. The bartender (Fran) was very charming and funny. I noticed many locals and Fran was attentive to them. I had the potato and leek soup which was very very good.some of the best. Nice pub feel.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We go here more for the music and dancing than the food, although the food is good. Wonderful bands on the weekends with dancing too. Only place I know of in Carrollwood where you can dance. A great mix of all age groups makes it a great place to go and feel right at home. Service has always been great, Julie being our favorite! Manager/owner always there overseeing everything. Love the pics of Ireland and if you want to watch sports, they have enough televisions for that too! Large outside area with its own bar and plenty of tables is great for the smokers.

Been to O'Brien's Irish Pub? Share your experiences!