“Older, but good”

Ranked #28 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Noblesville, IN
“Older, but good”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This Embassy Suites is older and could use some updates, but is still in good shape. The breakfast and managers reception are nice, although the quality of the hors d' oeuvres could be improved. They had chex mix one night and crackers the next. Last time we were here, they had boneless wings and nachos. But, the drinks are strong and free, so I wont argue the point. The pool and hot tub are in good working order. They do charge for parking, but I am not sure if this is the norm for other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically the same
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Stanicus,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa-Westshore! Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
kenosha
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Got to the hotel at midnight and had to have the bedding changed. You don't want to know. Maid service the next day was after 4 in the afternoon. That was only because I went to the desk and asked them why it wasn't done. The next morning there was no hot water for our shower. My family members had such a small suite, I was surprised they called it a suite at all.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Buskirk,

Thank you for writing a review on the Tripadvisor site. We value all feedback from our guests!
I apologize for the housekeeping oversight on the night you checked in. I will share your comments with our Housekeeping Manager.

When hotels are at maximum occupancy, it can be as late as 4pm or even 4:30 before Housekeeping is able to get to all of the rooms. I just wanted you to know that the housekeeper had not overlooked your room that day; your room was on the schedule to be cleaned. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We are a fan of Embassy Suites and have stayed at many throughout the country. This one, however, was not the usual layout and not as comfortable as most. We purchased a night through Travelocity and the rate was good considering we were a party of 3 adults and 3 children. The suite, however, was much smaller than we've had in the past...mainly in the sitting room area which houses the sofabed. Also, we found mildew in the bathtub/shower, which was a shock, considering most Hilton properties are spotless. Most of the Embassy Hotels are built with a huge lobby, gathering area, including the breakfast buffet and Manager's reception area, which accomodates crowds without feeling like you're in a theme park waiting in line. This particular building, however, had the reception and breakfast buffet separate on the second floor and was really just too crowded. There was a wedding reception one of the afternoons which kind of morphed its way into the Manager's reception happy hour which made for long lines, kids running all over the place, food and drinks spilled on the floor - it was a mess. Very disappointed to rate this as Average because we've never had a problem with this hotel brand and will do more research before we choose another one.

Room Tip: Do not assume that every Embassy Suites is the same. This one is not.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sdyoung
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear SDYOUNG,

Thank you for writing about your stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa Westshore.
Although we do not have one of the large Atrium style lobbies that you find at newer Embassy Suites, we remodeled our Lobby last year and we are quite pleased with the results. Our atrium area on the second floor allows for more room and a better flow for our guests in the lobby area.

I do apologize for the fact that spillover from the wedding reception caused things to
feel a bit crowded during the evening Manager's Reception.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed at the Embassy Suites in Tampa, FL in room 818. First off, if they try to put you in a room ending in 18 , ask to be moved. It is an oddly shaped room that makes the wet-bar/living room feel like a camper...very narrow. It's almost as if they took a storage space and made a living room out of it. The couch cannot physically face the TV. Other than that, the bathroom had someone's long black hair all over the floor. I am not normally too picky, but it was definitely to the extreme. The paint above the shower head end of the tub was molded and flaking. The thermostat didn't work the entire stay. If you pushed temp DOWN, the AC would kick on and the actual temperature in the room would get colder. The temperature that the thermostat DISPLAYED would go up, so since the thermostat thought the room was getting hotter, it stayed on...indefinitely. The choice was ON or OFF. Nothing more or less. I reported it the first day, nothing changed and due to the short visit and the limited amount of time spent in the room, I didn't have the energy to keep trying.
The "made-to-order" breakfast is always awesome and one of the reasons I usually pick Embassy Suites. The only fresh whole fruits available were apples. There were some chunks of cut-up cantaloupe, but that was it. Even that wasn't the worst...it was once again the cleanliness. I had to go through 6 bowls before I could find one to use for cereal. Even then, I had to wipe it out. The tables had food on them from the day before. Since they keep a gate up and keep any guests out until RIGHT at opening time, one would assume they were in there tidying up for breakfast? Not the case. My friend attempted to use a bottle of ketchup but there was so much dried ketchup around the top he couldn't get it open.
Finally, not one word about being a Diamond member. I am a Diamond Hilton Honors member for 3 years. I had to call BACK down to the desk to get my internet password (free for Gold and above) to be told in an incredibly condescending voice that it was on my key packet. Of course since it was NOT, we quickly got that resolved. The standard note from the manager and bottles of water were flat out non-existent. I read in Christine T's review that parking was possibly supposed to be free for me? Didn't happen.
Now a couple of positives..the manager's reception was good and the locale for it is great. Right out onto the deck where the pool and hot tub are. Location of the hotel is good; you can walk to almost anything you need, yet it is easy access to the Westshore Blvd exit of I-275.
Will I stay there next trip? I have to say no. There is another Embassy Suites in town and from there I would try the Homewood Suites before coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose rooms ending in 18
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear TravelVA98,

I was sorry to hear that you encountered some issues during your stay at the Embassy Suites - Tampa Westshore. We value our guests and certainly did not intend to disregard the fact that you are Diamond guest with Hilton. Unfortunately there are times we have to reassign a room that was originally intended for another guest - this can sometime cause the Diamond guest's amenity and water to be left behind.

I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the complimentary manager's reception and the pool and patio area!

Cary, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My stay was good, marked by great service at the evening cocktail hour, and followed by the same in the restaurant. Good bed and a lot of things near the hotel, but not some of it seemed nice. Close to airport and highways.

• Stayed February 2012
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Djrrossi,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa-Westshore! Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the wonderful service you received while you were a guest here.

Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I've stayed at this hotel before and it seems that the lobby has recently been remodled. The check-in is quite quick, and if you are a Hilton Honors member (may need to be a Gold level- I'm not sure), you have free parking and wireless internet. Parking is tight, so if you have or are renting a large vehicle, I'd recommend parking at the top level of the parking garage. If you do so, know in advance that there is no elevator in that garage and will have to go down about 3-4 flights of stairs (keep that in mind for luggage reasons).
The rooms are spacious, and I believe they are all suites that include a bedroom, kitchen (some are kitchenettes), and an livingroom type space. Some have a separate office area. Many but not all rooms have been recently remodeled, but all rooms have the latest in terms of mattresses and are very comfortable. The only odd event that I came across was the fact that when I came back from a day of work (around 5:00 p.m.) All of the drawers in the suite were open. Not just a little open, all of the way open. It was a bit disconcerting, but I'm guessing this is a cleaning technique (to wipe down the insides of the drawers and keep them open to dry), but it just felt strange. I felt nothing in terms of "having my stuff gone through" because I rarely put my items into drawers. I worry that I'll leave something that way, and I am always leery of bedbugs. I diligently check mattress seams in all places I stay to inspect for evidence of bedbugs. Unfortunately I have found those in my travels and opt to stay elsewhere in those cases. I have never seen that problem at this hotel.

The manager reception is (as always) exceptional. Drinks (simple beverages with a few alcoholic) are free, as well as finger foods. The staff is wonderful and truly do everything they can to make your stay pleasant. The excercise room is well equipped and the pool in well maintained. The pool is an outdoor one. Most of the rooms facing St Pete (west) side have small balconies. I do not believe the end rooms have them.

In terms of what is nearby. You can walk to a small mall across the street. It has dining and the usual mall-type shopping. A good place to go to kill some time. I will say that I have brough many shoes that need repair to the Westshore Mall because they have an excellent shoe repair store inside.

Down the road is a monsterous shopping center (north, and close to the airport)(5-8 minutes away in traffic). To the south is MacDill AFB, so if you have work there it is fairly easy to find (15 minutes away in traffic).

I have stayed here on many occasions and I have to say that generally, the service is improving with each stay (but it was always consistently good).

Room Tip: I would not choose an end room if you want a balcony.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Christine T
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Christine T,

Thank you for writing such an in-depth review of your recent stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa-Westshore! I especially appreciate your noting and commenting on the great service - and the fact that it is getting even better! I am printing out your review and will share it today at the Staff Meeting. The staff members always enjoy hearing that their service has made a guest feel extra welcome.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Very convenient to the airport - and pretty much a straight across to down town/convention area, but there are lots of lights on the route. About a fifteen minute ride down to MacDill AFB. Right across the street from a mall with a decent food court and even a PF Changs - but gotta tell ya, I never needed dinner because the managers special had enough to fill up on. Sure it's not great food, but filling. The kitchen can also send food to the bar that I found pretty good. Had the ahi, it was pretty good for bar food. Rooms are the usual suites. The one I was in seemed a bit smaller than others I've stayed in, narrower. Could be related to the hotel being a condo prior to 'conversion'. The free breakfast was well done. The work out room was clean, and not crammed as many are. Three treadmills, three cross trainers and two recumbent bikes. Lots of open space for stretching and core work. Plenty of free weights and one universal upper body machine. The pool area looked nice, but I steered clear since it was in the 40's.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Lori L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Airport/Westshore, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear PJHoffnet,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Tampa-Westshore! Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor - I am sure future guests will be glad to know that you enjoyed the spacious fitness room and the great food in our restaurant.

Happy Travels,