“A most enjoyable stay.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #30 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 13 May 2009

My Partner and I were on an extended holiday to Orlando but took a couple of days out to visit Busch Gardens & Tampa area.
The Embassy Suites was on our 'Hotel List' as a probable place to stay in Tampa and as we were staying on I-Drive in Orlando, decided to 'pop in' to the Embassy Suites there to check on availability in Tampa. Receptionist there was most helpful and booked us in to Tampa there and then, a most excellent service.

We arrived in Tampa early (around 2:00pm) and despite the Hotel being quite busy (there were a number of functions in progress at various locations throughout the Hotel) we were attended to immediately and were checked in and given our suite with no problem. The reception staff were quite attentive and helpful which was most appreciated. First impression of the Hotel was Wow....very nice, well cared for and maintained.

The Suite itself was a joy, nicely furnished, very roomy and most comfortable. Everything (and more) that was needed for a comfortable stay was provided. The only 'niggle' I had was the fact that most of the lighting was provided with lamps of the 'energy saving variety' (...Bah!) which led to the rooms being quite dimly lit which, admittedly was only a minor inconvenience. Even with all of the activity that was going on within the Hotel, the Suite itself was remarkably quiet and restful.
Although we didn't use all of the facilities the Hotel had to offer, we did use the restaurant which served a varied menu and the food was excellent.

Initially, we thought that the price we were paying for our stay ($300 including taxes) was a shade expensive but taking into account the free breakfasts plus the free 'Managers Reception' 2 hours in the bar, it worked out very similar to the price we were paying for our Hotel on I-Drive (which wasn't quite as luxurious).

My partner, who is unable to walk too far, uses a mobility scooter to get around and we had no problems regarding the use of this in the Hotel or our Suite. They even loaded it into the shuttle for us and took us to Busch Gardens and when we were ready to return, picked us up at the entrance and took us back to the Hotel. This, for us, was a big plus as it saved us the hassle of loading up the car, driving and parking at Busch. (Yet another saving).

I didn't find any problem with the Wi-Fi setup. I took my laptop to the business center, logged in (free) and thereafter found that I could still use it anywhere in the hotel or suite. As I was using it to keep in touch with family and friends, this was an easy (and free) way to send e-mails and photos back home.

All in all, a most enjoyable and stress free stay in a nice Hotel with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,825)

Reviewed 9 May 2009

I want to preface this review with a couple of things. I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past year, and when I am playing at Busch Gardens, there is no other place NEAR Busch Gardens that I would even think of staying, among the reason is the FREE shuttle to the park which comes in VERY handy with a family of four, (2 adults and 2 6 y.o. & unders).

My most recent stay was due to an event at USF, LITERTALLY right across the street.

I did not arrive until 9:40pm, and checking in was fast and friendly. I asked where the luggage carts were and they hailed me a bellman. I was a tad embarrassed but I let him take my stuff up to the room for me. As we rode the elevator he told me I missed dinner in the main restaurant (closes at 10, it was now 10:50pm) but the bar was still open and served "bar food" (soups and sandwiches, etc). The worst soup and sandwich I have ever ordered took OVER 45 minutes to bring to the table, and the soup was not even warm, and the french fries were not fried enough due to cold patches inside of them. I asked for the manager, and the bartender claimed he was the manager. I told him I was not happy, and he all but said so sad too bad. He then went back to trying to pick up some of the females sitting at his bar. How do I know, well, he was going to a party after work, and they could come along if they wanted.

Bed, pillows, towels, soap, shampoo, shower, were all as expected. Next morning went to the event that was being held at USF before breakfast was served. Knowing that the event would be over before breakfast was done, I knew I was coming back for eggs.

Everything was on par for a human feeding trough. The only thing that was VERY bad was the bacon. LOOKED like crisp greasy leather. Tried it, spat it out and put the other pieces in a napkin to be tossed asap.

My family and I stayed here about 5 weeks ago for an extended placation at Busch Gardens and the Gulf. Food was on par with any other Embassy Suites. Not expecting 5 star, but edible bacon, yes.

This is the shortest stay I have had in any hotel in three years, just one night. Simply due to the proximity to Busch Gardens, NO, not next door to it, but there is a free on demand shuttle, just call them and they will come and get you, I really like this hotel. I have also stayed at the ES and Marriott over by the St. Pete Times Forum, and they are both excellent choices when I am covering events there.

Thank you for reading this and I hope it helps you.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I stayed at the hotel while on business a few weeks ago, and this hotel was such a breath of fresh air. I met the GM, Marty Rothchild, while I was there, and he was certainly pleasant and accommodating. The hotel was bustling with people coming and going (such a nice sight to see in this economy!), and was very enjoyable. The breakfast was great, room service was lovely and the weather was incredible (just thought I'd throw that in there!). I booked the Theme Park Holiday and took the kids to Busch Gardens, which was such a great break from the every day. I highly recommend that package!

Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed to visit our son at USF. It's nice. The staff is polite. Rooms were clean.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This hotel was clean and the breakfast was delicious. I wasn't far from all of the places that I visited. The staff was very friendly. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I have always enjoyed staying in Embassy Suites, but this 5 night stay was a disaster. The complimentary breakfast was supposed to continue until 9:30, but food started to run out before 8:30 and was never replenished. Even though there were long lines at 9:20, management locked everything up (including the milk) at precisely 9:30. There was no way everyone could be served yet management did not care. The food quality was disappointing and there was nothing left by 9:00 except dry cereal. Also, our room was not cleaned very well, the internet did not work in the business center, and the water machine in the fitness area was apparently broken. It was such a poor excuse for an Embassy Suites!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My family and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and visited Busch Gardens. Although the weather was very chilly (daytime high temps around 45) the stay was great. I have stayed at other Embassy Suites in the past and this one lived up to their reputation for service. The hot (complimentary) breakfast are second to none and the service was great. They also offer a complimentary shuttle within 5 miles of the hotel to wherever you need to go (i.e. Busch Gardens, a restaurant, etc...). There are not many activities to do at the hotel itself but for purposes of lodging, eating and access it can't be beat.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)