“First Time Disappointment in Embassy Suites Service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa-USF/Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #30 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I am a Silver Member (frequent customer), so I was SHOCKED when I attempted to modify my reservations 10 days in advance of my intended stay, and was told that this was IMPOSSIBLE because the hotel was sold out. This policy was not explained when I called the reservation line and booked my stay, but was (supposedly) in fine print in the e-mail confirmation of my booking. In spite of the fact that I was unable to arrive for the first night of my three night stay, I had to pay for that night, because I was not allowed to cancel that night, and book (rebook) the remaining two nights. I have never heard of this policy at any hotel I have ever patronized - especially for a frequent visitor on government business! So - BEWARE of this policy when booking advance reservations!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 August 2010

This hotel is dirty, unkept, and gives the Embassy Suites/Hiltons a really bad name, We've stayerd in nicer Motel 6. We checked in late night (driving in from Savannah, GA) and the front desk was rude...gave us a room w/ bugs all over the place, a/c that was noisy & dripping, and the room was also dirty & musty. The room & entire hotel gave me a bad taste in my mouth. We automatically took our baggage back to the car and checked out. It was midnight and called Hilton to tell them our dilemma and help us find another room in the area...they couldn't careless. Needless to say we found a decent room w/ Marriott a couple of miles away. Honestly, We would have rather slept in our car or a bus bench than spend one second in the Embassy Suites. Stay away!!!.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We have Diamond Member status, so we shudder to think what other guests must be experiencing, if we were treated as shabbily as we were. The room was filled with a musty smell. The AC didn't work well and was dripping. Bathtub was filthy with previous guests' (black) hair. The refrigerator didn't work and freezer was caked with ice. Worst was that we had to rekey the room umpteen times to the point where one of our guests was unable to get into the room and sat outside for 1.5 hours waiting for one of us to return to the room. Elevators took a long time and when they did arrive, they were full to the extent that we had to wait for 3-4 elevators before we could actually get on one. Hotel is overpriced especially given the awful service and quality.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2010

This was a large touristy hotel near USF and Busch Gardens. Rooms overlooked atrium which included bar and restaurants. Pretty noisy in general. Not all elevators working. Room has refrigerator, large TV, free w-fi, good supply of towels and hot water. Check-in was slow with only one person to handle large crowd. Free parking but not enough when hotel is full and areas of parking lot not well lighted. Better hotel choices nearby.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We chose this hotel in an effort to be as close to Busch Gardens as possible. We love this hotel chain due to its free manager's reception and made to order breakfast. Unfortunately, the breakfast was horrible. (How they were able to mess up scrambled eggs is beyond me.) The designated eating area was too small for the amount of patrons and the quality was below those of other locations we have frequented. We also love the one room suite set up. This particular location was a bit on the small size lobby-wise and housekeeping left a lot to be desired but you couldn't beat the location or the price ($109 w/AAA). We have two young children so we figured that proximity was key due to their afternoon nap times and gave us the option of returning to the park for the nighttime activities. They offer free parking and a shuttle to the park. On a positive note--they do have room service with a Pizza Hut option that was more than reasonable. The kids fell asleep so we ordered in and even got to witness a lobby wedding from our floor. It seemed pretty kid friendly...we didn't have to stress over the kids being too noisy or rambunctious. All in all...it was nice...nothing outstanding. There was a Wingate and a La Quinta Inn across the street that we may try next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Nevarena
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Check in went smoothly and we went to our room at the top floor (per our request). Elevators were super fast unlike the other hotel we stayed in that week in Orlando. When we got to the room, our room was hot and humid. The AC control said 72 so we bumped it down to 68 and after unpacking headed out to dinner. We stopped by the front desk to mention about the AC and were told that the rooms have auto sensors and they only cool when people were in the room, but they would have someone look at it. We returned from dinner to find the room still hot and humid but again were told to give it a half hour or so. Because we were exhausted from driving all day, we all quickly went to bed only to awake a few hours later sweating. My 7 year old son had removed his shirt and was sleeping upright on the sofa trying to get cool! I went to the front desk again and was told that maintenance left already and I should have told them earlier!!!!! They gave us another room to move to for the night and said they would have the problem fixed in the morning and not to move our bags. I went to the other room and the AC was OFF! So I sat there about 20 minutes to make sure it was cooling before waking my family and moving them (as it was 2 a.m.). The room we moved to was on the same floor but completely on the other side of the hotel...quite a distance to move 2 sleepy children. The next morning I checked with the front desk about maintenance fixing the old room. They didn't know anything about it. (Lack of communication!!!) We decided to move our bags to the new room and while doing this, the maintenance man told us that room had previous problems and they were planning on taking it offline. So obviously no one had called maintenance when we complained the previous night!!!!!! After the initial night that was the WORST night ever in a hotel stay, the rest of the trip was awesome. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast very filling, and transportation to and from Busch Gardens was very convenient. You could go whenever you wanted to go and we never waited longer than 5 minutes for transportation as they had several vans going at all times. The staff (drivers, cooks, etc) were very friendly. I would stay here again.....just had a bad first night!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I have stayed at this Hilton property a few times during the past three years. It is the best location for work at USF but there are cheaper options across the street on Fowler (find them). If I name the hotel chains across the street or very close nearby my review will be censured (but find them because they are on Fowler). The embassy Suites offers the best free breakfast that includes free omelets, bacon, sausage, French toast - a full meal really. The rooms are older which means they are larger in size. The rooms show some wear in terms of carpet, furniture, and bedspreads and linens. The bathrooms are spacious and provide everything you need; albeit not fancy. There are two standard TV's (one in the living area and one in the bedroom with more cable channels that you could ever need), free coffee in the room, microwave, fridge, and even a wet bar. You have to pay for WiFi Internet even if you are a priority Hilton Honors member which is uncommon nowadays so add $10 daily to your hotel bill. It is really potentially a superb hotel but needs a face-lift of bed-wear, carpets (inside room and public areas), furniture, and lobby decoration (which is why I gave it only 4 stars). The bed is a bit soft for my taste and does show signs of wear (in the form of dips). In the past when this hotel was full I stayed across the street for less money and the rooms and service were comparable (although the buffet breakfast at the Embassy Suites can't be beat).

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business