“Left immediately”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium
Ranked #129 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Went to my room. Went to take a shower. Closed bathroom door and behind it was a pair of dirty underwear - NOT MINE. I went to the counter, and the individual told me he was unable to refund my money. I left. It was fairly disgusting.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lewis B

Reviewed 20 July 2013

had called the 1800 to make a reservation and I specified that I needed early check in and asked for a non-smoking room. The operator assured me that when I would arrive at the hotel my room would be waiting for me. To my surprise, when I got to the hotel, the nice front desk clerk, Anita, informs me that there are no rooms available. I was extremely upset and not knowing the town I was emotionally upset. She tells me to call the 1800 number again and see what they could do to fix the situation. The operator was absolutely no help, but Anita was very compassionate and seeing how upset and scared I was she was able to find me a room. I am very thankful that the hotel has such a wonderful employee who went above and beyond to help me. Thank you Anita and as long as you work there next time I visit Tampa, I will stay at your facility.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Fabian C
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed a night here after a fortnight in Orlando, the night before my morning flight back to Heathrow.
As the title of my review says, this place really is as bad as it gets.

On walking into the lobby, I was greeted by a miserable "Anything was too much trouble" receptionist.

Got the key to my room, which smelled of smoke (I'm an ex smoker - I've never smelled any place so bad) My fault partly because I forgot to ask for a non smoking room.
The room door wouldn't lock from the outside. A problem, because I wasn't staying in the room a minute longer than necessary.

Reception gave me the key to the adjacent room.
The door would lock in this room .......which is probably the only good thing that I can say about it.

Again, it smelled really strongly of smoke. Not fresh smoke - but really nasty stale smoke.

The aircon was noisy - really noisy.
The safe didn't work.
The whole place looked grubby and dirty.

Seriously, I'm not especially fussy, but cleanliness, an air freshener and basic equipment working are not big asks.

Steer well clear is my advice.

Room Tip: Choose a room in any place other than here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Simon C
Reviewed 24 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2013

First, I was on a mission trip in Haiti and slept with lizards and massive bugs and it was still better than this!! Carpet-Filthy, non smoking room had ashes all over the place, smoke detector laying on the dresser with battery beside it, towels and shower covered in black hairs, roaches running all over night stand, stunk like $#!+.....had a window air conditioner and It was cold. The shower smelled like raw sewage. The safe didn't even have a door!!! Very Convenient location with several food choices etc close by. I went to front desk after I saw roaches and demanded a refund. They wouldn't give my money back but gave me an upgraded room in a diff building. Surprised to find that it was at least clean, don't stink, and appears to be stayable 1 night. However, I would Never come back again!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank KG2314
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. At first, I was a bit worried when I drove into the complex and saw a group of housekeepers standing around, talking and on cell phones when they were supposed to be cleaning a room, not to mention the semi-dirty carpeting in my room. Other than this, the room was clean, I felt secure (despite the pseudo-sketchy neighborhood) and the hotel was close to EVERYTHING!! I could get to downtown or wherever in just 10 minutes. There is plenty of shopping and restaurants w/in walking distance and if you like adult entertainment, you're in luck - there are at least 5 places in the area. Cheap and fairly clean room (though I did find a hair in the fridge) and convenient to everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo