“Always Reasonable Friendly Staff”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Tampa Airport/Stadium
Ranked #127 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I've stayed at this property so many times now they should give me a free night somewhere along the way which I mentioned to the front end staff on my last stay Well, now that I actually live in Florida(although not in Tampa) the property always meets my needs. The staff from top to bottom is always friendly and gracious. Of course, they may recognize you after awhile as a frequent visitor or you can always turn on the charm and talk up the front end staff and see where that gets you.
Pool is nice for just lounging and it's going to be getting real, real hot real real soon so the a/c has to be in tip-top shape and I've never had a problem with that either. Free Wi-Fi too. There is an excellent Thai restaurant that I always mention that is right next door and plenty of other dining options along Dale Mabry. Bummer that the Longhorn Steak restaurant moved from its location here over to Westshore across from the Penthouse Club. FYI. There is also a Ruth's Cris steak place and Olive Garden right there on Westshore as well.
And HoJo's is only a few miles from the airport and the International Plaza shopping mall. Take a right out of the hotel and your first left on Columbus and you'll be there in minutes. And if you want to get to Westshore, it's the third left on Columbus. It took dumb ol' me several times to figure out the easiest way to Westshore from the hotel. My sense of direction ain't real keen if ya know what I mean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank PAUL D

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My friends and I stayed at this hotel, as when I was searching hotels in the area the location seemed ideal and the cost was not bad. All in all, we had a good stay as we were out quite a bit as this was a fun getaway. The continental breakfast was not bad at all. I thought the selection was very good and the area was kept clean. The rooms are dated and do need some work. However; the only issue I had, was upon check-in. Anita was on duty and I asked a question to which I was basically shrugged off, as I should wait until she is done checking me in. All in all we had a good stay over the 7 nights period and may return for a quick budgeted getaway again....Location is ideal...close to many restaurants etc.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel was one of the worst I have stayed in. As soon as I got to my room it was dirty and the sheets on the bed had not been changed. there was dust all over the furniture. They moved me to another room were there was water leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom and the tub had hair and gunk under the bath mat. I explained it to the manager at check out and her reply was your (leaving any ways). I will never recommend this motel. My husband travels a lot in the military and I showed him pictures so he will not recommend or stay there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have to say that I got frowns from people familiar with the location when I told them where I was staying on a business trip. There are a number of adult entertainment venues on each side of this property.

HOWEVER, there were plenty of families staying here and the hotel was clean. The staff was friendly. Parking was a bit tough but manageable.

There were not people walking around all night nor was there a lot of noise. I expected those things because of the neighboring businesses and am very happy that I didn't experience it.

I had a non-smoking room and was fine with it...until the next morning when I woke-up stopped up and with a major headache to a strong smell of cigarette smoke. My room is part of a connecting room combination and the connecting room is NOT non-smoking. The guest in the connecting room were heavy smokers and the smoke entered my room under the connecting door.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2014

After checking in and arriving in my room, it was clear modest would be the best I could hope for. Unfortunately, not even that could be said in the final analysis. Like many reviewers below have noted, the housekeeping staff here is extremely noisy and just couldn't care less about the fact paying guests are staying in these rooms. I was awoken at 6am by the constant loud conversations that were occurring all throughout the second floor hallways at this time as well as the loud slamming of doors. When I politely asked these staff members if they could perhaps quiet down, one man who appeared to be a housekeeping manager of some sort shot me an almost intimidating look, then proceeded to give me a passive-aggressive answer of "ok" after which he mumbled what was almost surely an insult to his fellow workers.

Later, while trying to make a phone call, I was told a $10 deposit was required to activate the phone (this was merely for a local call). This in addition to the deposit I had already given.

To put an exclamation point on the stay, I noticed bed bugs in the washroom and, despite my best preventative efforts, had a bite on my hand the next morning.

The resentment and inconsiderateness of the majority of staff at this hotel towards their guests is a very sad and unfortunate situation. It is clearly the by-product of an establishment that has hit rock bottom to such an extent that the misery is inescapable and many of those who work there are at a point where they are reflexively going to lie, mislead, and inconvenience their paying guests as a result. It can no longer be considered as even a last-ditch budget option anymore.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business